Let's talk about Mike Smith

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think that Smith thought that he had the puck trapped to his body for a second or so and was late to move to block the second shot. It wasn't drama.

Regardless, Smith needs to dial down his puck movement game. He and his team are not on the same page and so the skaters are not properly anticipating his actions. It's becoming costly.

I agree.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The one where Smith was frozen in tableau after the first save and basically gifted the rebound to the Kings was a perfect example of why I don't like the guy.

DON'T DRAMATICALLY FREEZE UNTIL YOU HEAR THE DAMN WHISTLE.
Nothing dramatic imo, if you think you have the puck somewhere on you, don't move until the whistle. It's hard to tell with all that crap on exactly where it may be.

I also wouldn't want to limit him playing puck, he's tremendous at it. If he were constantly turning the puck over I'd agree, but he's arguably the best in the league at it, it seems illogical to take away that advantage he gives you.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Regardless, Smith needs to dial down his puck movement game. He and his team are not on the same page and so the skaters are not properly anticipating his actions. It's becoming costly.

Didn't really see anything costly last night. If a player sees the goalie looking to play the puck, then they need to be calling out where the danger is coming from and getting in the best possible position to receive the pass. If Smith has time and space, you could be anywhere on the ice and you have to know to expect that pass.

I have never seen anything wrong with how Smith winds up playing the puck. Every now and again, there may be a bad decision, but no worse than other bad decisions that are made on the ice...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Smith has been really good of late. He also has a long history of inconsistency. He's definitely stolen a few points lately. So good on him.

His ability to play the puck is a huge asset. He makes mistakes, but they're rare. There are goalies who are dangerous when they leave the crease to play the puck. Makes a big difference, imo.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
At a clip of almost one misadventure per game, Smith definitely adds a nice adrenaline rush fro me as I sit in the stands. Still, I wish he would handle the puck less, take a few less chances.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Let's be clear, vegas is not going to choose a 35 year old inconsistent overpaid goaltender in the expansion draft. They have better options from other teams.

So quit dreaming, hombres.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Totally agree. His 6M contract is completely safe exposed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If he keeps playing like this, or even around .920, he'll be protected. He's obviously and finally healthy. No one will take Domingue.

What's the point of losing Smith only to go out move assets for another goalie? Who will have a similar contract (and longer) to what Smith has now. Look at Bishop, he's at .902 right now on a far superior team. I'd roll with this for now.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If he keeps playing like this, or even around .920, he'll be protected. He's obviously and finally healthy. No one will take Domingue.

What's the point of losing Smith only to go out move assets for another goalie? Who will have a similar contract (and longer) to what Smith has now. Look at Bishop, he's at .902 right now on a far superior team. I'd roll with this for now.

You don't need to protect smith, is the issue. No matter how well he plays. Vegas isn't going to waste a pick on a 35 year old expensive goalie. May as well protect the young goaltender rather than leave him exposed.

Zero chance smith gets taken.

And even if smith does get taken, arz isn't competing for the cup for a couple years so smith is no good to us. By the time we are ready to compete he will be done. May as well get the 6 million off the books...but it won't happen. Unless vegas is run by morons.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Zero chance Smith gets exposed.

If VGK want to compete right away, they'll need a top-flight goalie. If Smith IS exposed, which goalie will be better? Bishop will be UFA, he won't be in the expansion draft. Smith would be the best one.

Can we rally some popular support and forbid Sarah McLellan from ever asking post-game interview questions again? Dehydration? Seriously? Stay active on twitter but please ... Sarah ... stop ...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Is Smith's stunning history of consistency and six million dollar price tag going to make LV want to take a 35 year old guy over cheaper, younger options? Doubtful. And if they do, we should say thank you and move on. He's been great most of this year, no doubt. But he's always great in streaks. Loui has been solid this year, too, mostly. A great finish wouldn't change my mind on exposing Smith. We probably won't though, because of the Tippett love affair. Rest easy.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
You don't need to protect smith, is the issue. No matter how well he plays. Vegas isn't going to waste a pick on a 35 year old expensive goalie. May as well protect the young goaltender rather than leave him exposed.

Zero chance smith gets taken.

And even if smith does get taken, arz isn't competing for the cup for a couple years so smith is no good to us. By the time we are ready to compete he will be done. May as well get the 6 million off the books...but it won't happen. Unless vegas is run by morons.

There's certainly some value in having good goaltending. We've seen that here first hand the last few years, from the opposite side of the fence (having awful goaltending).

There will be 30 goalies exposed to Vegas. Louie Domingue would need to be in the top 2 to be taken. He's not.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Depending on who they take as the starter and what they want their salary structure to look like, they could look at Domingue. I'm not worried about losing a goaltender, really.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
There's certainly some value in having good goaltending. We've seen that here first hand the last few years, from the opposite side of the fence (having awful goaltending).

There will be 30 goalies exposed to Vegas. Louie Domingue would need to be in the top 2 to be taken. He's not.

My guess is Vegas will go for a legit starter like Bishop or more likely Fleury and then a cheap, young backup with upside. I think they'd be more likely to take Domingue than Smith, but neither is probable.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Depending on who they take as the starter and what they want their salary structure to look like, they could look at Domingue. I'm not worried about losing a goaltender, really.

Same. I think we'll lose McGinn.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Zero chance Smith gets exposed.

If VGK want to compete right away, they'll need a top-flight goalie. If Smith IS exposed, which goalie will be better? Bishop will be UFA, he won't be in the expansion draft. Smith would be the best ...

You're delusional if you think an expansion team takes Mike smith and if you think he is the best option. He's played good for 10 games this season. Small sample size.

Pickard/varlamov in colorado
Murray/fleury/
Bishop/vislevsky
Dubnyk/keumper
Holtby/grubeur
Hutchinson/hellebyuk
Rask/subban
Mrazek/coreau
Talbot/brossoint
Reimer

Not to mention teams MUST expose at least 1 contracted goalie, which means teams will need to sign a lot of these UFA goalies prior to expansion so that they can protect their starters.

Just a whole bunch of goalies available that are younger and cheaper than a guy who might give u 2 good years before being out of the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad