Let's talk about Filppula

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I know he may be nursing a knee injury right now, but even with that I can't be the only one who has been disappointed with him. He's looked invisible more often than not, isn't as strong defensively compared to last year. Even in his "breakout" year I felt a lot of his points were artificially inflated due to his line and secondary assists.

Do you guys think that last season was somewhat of an anomaly?

Will he ever be a consistent 60 point guy?

Do you want to resign him, and if so, for how much? Honestly, I feel like if he wants more than 4.25 million, he can take a hike if other FA targets still remain.

I think they need to rest him. The season is more or less lost due to the incredible amount of injuries. Let him get healthy and find out what we've got with Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, etc. We simply have 3 legit top 6 guys in Fil, Z and Pavs and may lose Pavs after the next season. Brunner should be extended but that is still to be determined. We need Filppula and if his knee ends up turning him into Dan Cleary we'll have one legit top 6 guy in Z in a couple years.

Asset management isn't burying every young player in the A. It's planning so you can actually ice an NHL quality top 6 with scoring talent and skill. Bert isn't that player anymore; Cleary never was that player; Sammy isn't that player; and Mule can be that player for like 25% of a season.

Rest Filppula and find out if Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan can be top 6 players in the NHL.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think they need to rest him. The season is more or less lost due to the incredible amount of injuries. Let him get healthy and find out what we've got with Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, etc. We simply have 3 legit top 6 guys in Fil, Z and Pavs and may lose Pavs after the next season. Brunner should be extended but that is still to be determined. We need Filppula and if his knee ends up turning him into Dan Cleary we'll have one legit top 6 guy in Z in a couple years.

Asset management isn't burying every young player in the A. It's planning so you can actually ice an NHL quality top 6 with scoring talent and skill. Bert isn't that player anymore; Cleary never was that player; Sammy isn't that player; and Mule can be that player for like 25% of a season.

Rest Filppula and find out if Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan can be top 6 players in the NHL.

Couldn't agree more :thumbu:

Let's start planning ahead here. Give Nyquist an extended look instead of 2/3 of a game to see what he can do. Give Sheahan a couple games in a row. Leave Tatar up. Start getting guys mixed in to show what they can do once they get settled in to a role.

We're seeing Tatar can create offense and light a fire on whatever line he plays on, and I love it. Andersson had a great game last night. One game isn't enough, you need to give these guys an actual decent look. Just look at the difference between Brendan Smith's first couple games this year, then his last few before he got hurt. He was playing much better.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't understand why they rushed Filppula back so quickly. Why not give him the first 5 games off if his knee is going to bother him all season? Would it not effect the condition of his knee?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I thought he said he was healthy about a month before the season started?

It was "healthy", but when they started the season, after few games he mentioned somewhere that it's still bothering him.

They should really consider resting him, if Nyquist is sent down and both Sammy and Pavel coming back. There's still 12 forwards + Filppula to make that happen.

CloneHakanPlease*

If Babcock is telling Flip to get it together, I wonder what he's telling Cleary regarding his game?

Babcock: Ok Dan, I've given in to your demands. Now please burn the photos of me drunk that one night in mexico and let my daughter go. We've paid the ransom and then some.

Dan "Allstar" Cleary: I guess somebody doesn't love their daughter...

CloneHakanPlease*

Two points tonight but I honestly feel like he wasn't much of a factor.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There is nobody and I really mean nobody even with all the ragging on Cleary and Quincey (early in the season) that I am more disappointed with as a fan than I am with Filppula. I thought he turned a corner, I really believed it was just an issue of never getting that top 6 time. But he is worthless to the second PP unit and he is passive while riding shotgun on the two of the best to players in the leagues wing. He wouldn't even shoot the puck with under 5 seconds left tonight, still skated it right into the corner for nothing.

Somebody might pay him, but he doesn't deserve much of a raise from his 3.5 million actual salary this year. If he gets it somewhere else fine, but he isn't doing himself any favors right now.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
There is nobody and I really mean nobody even with all the ragging on Cleary and Quincey (early in the season) that I am more disappointed with as a fan than I am with Filppula. I thought he turned a corner, I really believed it was just an issue of never getting that top 6 time. But he is worthless to the second PP unit and he is passive while riding shotgun on the two of the best to players in the leagues wing. He wouldn't even shoot the puck with under 5 seconds left tonight, still skated it right into the corner for nothing.

Somebody might pay him, but he doesn't deserve much of a raise from his 3.5 million actual salary this year. If he gets it somewhere else fine, but he isn't doing himself any favors right now.

Agreed. I would be very please if Holland can move him in a package for a top-six winger or top-4 dman by the deadline.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Agreed. I would be very please if Holland can move him in a package for a top-six winger or top-4 dman by the deadline.

The thing is, we'd be selling low as he has been pretty bad so far this year (in comparison to last year), and is on an expiring contract. Would rather sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and look to trade him a season or so into it. Teams might view him as more valuable this way.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
The thing is, we'd be selling low as he has been pretty bad so far this year (in comparison to last year), and is on an expiring contract. Would rather sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and look to trade him a season or so into it. Teams might view him as more valuable this way.

I agree, I just can't see Holland dealing a life-long Red Wing after signing him to any kind of deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad