Lets see what you think about my prospects...

Reel2Reel

Aug 3, 2013
These are my prospects in my fantasy dynasty league. I'm curious to see how you guys rank them 1-12 in terms of potential and chance of reaching potential, and realistic point production per season beside their names. I have them as following...

1. Evgeny Kuznetsov F, Wsh (80+)
2. Morgan Rielly D, Tor (45+)
3. Teuvo Terevainen F, Chi (75+)
4. John Gibson, G ANH (Starting Goalie)
5. Mathew Dumba D, Min (45+)
6. Tomas Hertl, C SJ (65+)
7. Oscar Klefbom D, Edm (35+)
8. Zach Fucale G, Mon (Starting Goalie)
9. Antti Raanta G, Chi (Possible Starting Goalie)
10. Sami Vatanen, D ANH (35+)
11. Brandon Pirri F, Chi (65+)
12. Jon Merrill D, NJ (35+)

What do you think?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
These are my prospects in my fantasy dynasty league. I'm curious to see how you guys rank them 1-12 in terms of potential and chance of reaching potential, and realistic point production per season beside their names. I have them as following...

What do you think?

In terms of Fantasy potential or in actual NHL ability?

NHL Ability/likelihood of reaching it

1. Kuznetsov
2. Rielly
3. Hertl
4. Gibson
5. Terevainen
6. Klefbom
7. Vatanen
8. Pirri
9. Dumba
10. Raanta
11. Merril
12. Fucale

I'm not ready to rank Fucale above the other guys until he proves himself in the AHL. He may have all the tools but goalies are much more volatile & until he proves himself on a bigger stage I can't rank him above the rest of the players.

Last edited:

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Terevainen will not hit 75+. 6 times in the last decade has a finnish player hit above that mark and the thre that have are:

Teemu Selanne - Three Times
Olli Jokinen - Twice
Saku Koivu - Once

Finland hasn't produced top end talent for a while. I don't see a heavy indication Terevainen is a change to that trend.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Terevainen will not hit 75+. 6 times in the last decade has a finnish player hit above that mark and the thre that have are:

Olli Jokinen - Twice
Saku Koivu - Once

Finland hasn't produced top end talent for a while. I don't see a heavy indication Terevainen is a change to that trend.

What a crap comment. National history really doesn't really mean anything in this case. :laugh:

Every player in an own individual. And there's also a clear change happening in Finnish hockey history to a better direction.

nikyc

Nov 16, 2011
Kuzentsov....if he comes
Gibson ........will be outstanding.
Rielly ..........should be a top 10 d-man before he is finished playing hockey.
Hertl ..........might make it this year.
Terevainen ..will be an impact player in Chicago
Dumba .......will become a 40 point d-man
Klefbom .......a shut down defencemen with good offensive skills in the making
Pirri ...........a secondary scorer for Chicago, possibly a second liner
Merril ..........a # 4 d-man on his team perhaps
Fucale.........lots of time to develop into a starter

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
1. Kuznetsov
2. Gibson
3. Teravainen
4. Rielly
5. Dumba
6. Hertl
7. Klefbom
8. Fucale
9. Merrill
10. Pirri
11. Vatanen
12. Raanta

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
Kuzentsov....if he comes
Gibson ........will be outstanding.
Rielly ..........should be a top 10 d-man before he is finished playing hockey.
Hertl ..........might make it this year.
Terevainen ..will be an impact player in Chicago
Dumba .......will become a 40 point d-man
Klefbom .......a shut down defencemen with good offensive skills in the making
Pirri ...........a secondary scorer for Chicago, possibly a second liner
Merril ..........a # 4 d-man on his team perhaps
Fucale.........lots of time to develop into a starter
o
i don't really understand your "top 10 d-man before he is finished" statement. you obviosly don't mean all time. but top 10 in d-man in what? decade? doesn't make sense to me. but i can't really see him being top 10 d man year in year out. offensively i think he can be but i just don't see him as top 10 all around d the defensive play just isn't there.

outside of teräväinen and rielly i agree with you.

nikyc

Nov 16, 2011
o
i don't really understand your "top 10 d-man before he is finished" statement. you obviosly don't mean all time. but top 10 in d-man in what? decade? doesn't make sense to me. but i can't really see him being top 10 d man year in year out. offensively i think he can be but i just don't see him as top 10 all around d the defensive play just isn't there.

I meant that Rielly will have at least one year that he will be a top 10 defencemen. And with Tevo I am saying because of who he will get to play with in Chicago I believe he will be a point as he has a good hockey sense.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
o

How can you possibly make these assumptions already?

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
How can you possibly make these assumptions already?

same way everyone else. i have seen player play and in this case haven't been that impressed. ofcourse this is all speculation but this thread is about speculation. so why aren't you going around these boards asking the same thing about everyone who speculates how prospects will turn out be.

as for being top10 d-man in the NHL year in and year out you have to be something really special. but the guy who i first quoted meant in some year and i totally agree with that.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

What do you think?

From a fantasy perspective, it will depend on the parameters of your league. For mine, there's 27 teams with two goalie spots, so there's a lot of incentive to take chances on goalies. In my league, I would have Gibson over Teravainen just due to scarcity of position. If you're in a 15 team league, that might not matter as much.

Offhand, Teravainen seems a bit high. In a fantasy context, I might take Merrill before Klefbom. I can see Merrill sliding into top PP unit time for the Devils, while I was under the impression that Klefbom would be more of a solid two way guy that might not get a ton of PP time. It's one of those tough fantasy dilemmas. I have Michael Del Zotto and have had a tough time getting decent trade offers since his fantasy value and real life value aren't necessarily the same.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Olli Jokinen - Twice
Saku Koivu - Once

While I agree 75+ points is a pretty unrealistic expectation (as are most of the OP's numbers IMO), Teravainen is only one of many young Fins breaking that trend. Obviously, we have yet to see how these talents translate into the NHL, but in the past few drafts, Finland has produced Barkov, Tervainen, Granlund, Armia, Ristolainen, Lehkonen, Vatanen, Mattaa, Pokka... It looks like Finland's dry spell of producing no/few significant NHL players could be over very soon.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Because I like him more & I feel he's more likely to reach his high end potential than Gibson is.

Have you ever seen Hertl play? Kids got good hands and a good shot...its too bad his skating is awful....

Dumba will be the best defenseman of the group.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
What a crap comment. National history really doesn't really mean anything in this case. :laugh:

Every player in an own individual. And there's also a clear change happening in Finnish hockey history to a better direction.

Absolutely they are all individuals. What I'm describing is a trend in development that streams through Finnish leagues over the last decade. There are tons of Finnish players that get hyped and never deliver on projections. I merely pointed out that the projection of Terevainen is lofty, to say the least and provided factual evidence to support it.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I dont like your numbers at all. Is too high. Those are like the tops for 1-2 years for each guy. You have to figure in injuries scoring droughts etc..

So take it down some if saying hey will these guys hit this two times in career? Numbers are probably close to some. Yet you take a defender how many are consistently 45 points a year guys they have a 49 than 42 than a 30 than 36 than 42 etc.. same with most of the forward players.

Is very few guys who hit a point a game and stay there year in and out. Some guys hit high and 85 but only see it one time or two times than they drop to like 70 or even lower etc...

If you think these guys all hit these numbers next year? I think thats crazy.

Reel2Reel

Aug 3, 2013
I dont like your numbers at all. Is too high. Those are like the tops for 1-2 years for each guy. You have to figure in injuries scoring droughts etc..

So take it down some if saying hey will these guys hit this two times in career? Numbers are probably close to some. Yet you take a defender how many are consistently 45 points a year guys they have a 49 than 42 than a 30 than 36 than 42 etc.. same with most of the forward players.

Is very few guys who hit a point a game and stay there year in and out. Some guys hit high and 85 but only see it one time or two times than they drop to like 70 or even lower etc...

If you think these guys all hit these numbers next year? I think thats crazy.

I didn't mean next season i just meant in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad