Lets go red wings!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
- howard is likely to bounce back.

- bigger roles and/or the growth of our younger players (tatar, smith, dekeyser, nyquist).. i think all will be better even though nyquist won't score the pace he did last year.

- injuries won't hit as badly as last season. can't be that unlucky again.

- i don't think they play dead weight as much this year.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yup.

- bigger roles and/or the growth of our younger players (tatar, smith, dekeyser, nyquist).. i think all will be better even nyquist won't score the pace he did last year.

Yea, I expect the same. And Nyquist will score more points but less goals.

hopefully so.

Weiss, Cleary, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Tootoo, Eaves and Emmerton were combined almost 3 x 82 games.

We are basicly adding one total line by cutting the dead weight and/if having a healthy Weiss.

Overall offence will have a huge positive impact, I can quarantee it.

And if we get that breakout season from Smith... God help the Eastern Conference.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
howard's career avg. sv% is 91.7. last season he had. 91.0%. that's worth about 10 goals if he faces same amount of shots as last year. if he doesn't miss time with injuries and monster plays less, even little more.

health is obviously the biggest thing. young players taking next step will help but our rivals have the same thing. not having cleary-andy-bert as your third line is also bumping up that goal differential.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
My optimistic predictions for this season.

-Smith will show the #2 off. D-man potential he was touted to have.

-Tatar will be a 25+25 player

-Jurco will play 45+ games

-One or more of the prospect D will steal a spot.

And Nyquist will score more points but less goals.

Nyquist went 0.84ppg last season, practically a 70pt pace, I'd love for him to even come close to repeating that but I don't see anyway he surpasses that. Fun fact the last Red Wing to break 70pts was Z in 2010/11

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
smith gets 30+ points and if given chance, proves out to be legit top 4 defenseman. i'd continue to play him with kronwall on top pairing but i have fears that babcock won't do it.

tatar will score just under 25G and 50 points in his current role, 3LW that gets sheltered mins. i wouldn't mind to see him tried at pk either. he's done well at it in international comps. would be nice to have player that can be threat to score a shorty. gives him more mins too. he's ready and too good to play under 15 mins imo. i don't think babs uses him at pk, though.

nyquist, around 55 points.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
So everyone, including I have been a little down and out about Cleary and KFQ and the off season so far but we need some pick me ups. If you're here in this forum, its probably because you're a fan of the best NHL team in its existence: the Detroit Red Wings!

Just because we have a few problems, maybe with management, or with players ain't anything to cry over. We still have an awesome team. Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Weiss are supposedly healthy. Mike Babcock admits Cleary was crap last year. The kid line (with possibly the exception of Jurco) is returning for a sophomore season, should be better than last year! Plus there is always the possibility that Anthony Mothra beats out Cleary! (I can dream right?)

So post positives about our team, and don't bring whine with you.

someone needs to put Mantha's head on here now

images

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I also think Kindl proves to be a solid top#4 this year and be a bargain at his cap hit.

Even if Kindl could get back to his 2013 level of play it would be a nice upgrade. Because although he was still shaky on his own side of center, he did a pretty nice job creating chances offensively. And we were able to shelter him so that he wasn't really much a liability at all. Good things were happening when he was on the ice.

Last year was a nightmare though.

Give him a chance to regroup, but if he doesn't and we're 15 games in then give a kid a chance. And no, I'm not talking about Lashoff.

I'm rooting for him to bounce back, but the Babcock/Kindl relationship just seems too iffy for me. I think Kindl could use a change of scenery.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

- bigger roles and/or the growth of our younger players (tatar, smith, dekeyser, nyquist).. i think all will be better even though nyquist won't score the pace he did last year.

I'm very confident about the last 3.

Goaltenders always worry me though, so I can't say that I'd be shocked if Howard was up and down again next season.

But regardless, I still strongly believe we'll have a surprisingly good season because of the other factors.

Can't wait. Let's go already.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
tatar will score just under 25G and 50 points in his current role, 3LW that gets sheltered mins. i wouldn't mind to see him tried at pk either.

50 points at 3rd line minutes is almost impossible to happen nowadays. Just look those other highest scoring teams from last season. Boston was the only team to have all the TOP6 guys over 50 points, and that needed 78-82 game healthy seasons from everybody.

Red Wings 4th best scorer usually has had 49 points per season (2005-2014 average), and for that you kind of have to be at least a 2nd liner.

If Tatar hits that 50 points, it pretty much means that Wings have been the highest scoring team in the whole league and netting +300 goals. Chicago was the highest scoring team at last season and got only 266 goals.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
50 points at 3rd line minutes is almost impossible to happen nowadays. Just look those other highest scoring teams from last season. Boston was the only team to have all the TOP6 guys over 50 points, and that needed 78-82 game healthy seasons from everybody.

Red Wings 4th best scorer usually has had 49 points per season (2005-2014 average), and for that you kind of have to be at least a 2nd liner.

If Tatar hits that 50 points, it pretty much means that Wings have been the highest scoring team in the whole league and netting +300 goals. Chicago was the highest scoring team at last season and got only 266 goals.

i think they play more even mins. eg. tatar line gets more and zett and dats maybe closer to 18 or even 17 mins. they won't score at ppg, but the lower end scores more. he will also get more opportunities as there will be injuries..

he scored at just under 44 point pace last year over full season if my math is right.. 6 more points in same minutes isn't that big of a stretch.. if he gets more, then i think he'll get it.

i also expect more production from him on the pp. tatar's points/60 this past two years:

5on4: 2.146
5on5: 2.083

that pp number should go up. he didn't ride on any unsustainable numbers on 5on5 so i expect that number to be around the same. facing tougher comp might decrease those point paces but i have faith. he would have almost reached that 50 point pace last year if he had even average numbers on the power play.

they might also give them harder matchups. babcock did shelter them a lot this past season, lot of oz zone starts etc.

50 points is pretty optimistic but i have faith :).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
he scored at just under 44 point pace last year over full season if my math is right.. 6 more points in same minutes isn't that big of a stretch.. if he gets more, then i think he'll get it.

i also expect more production from him on the pp. tatar's points/60 this past two years:

that pp number should go up. he didn't ride on any unsustainable numbers on 5on5 so i expect that number to be around the same. facing tougher comp might decrease those point paces but i have faith. he would have almost reached that 50 point pace last year if he had even average numbers on the power play.

they might also give them harder matchups. babcock did shelter them a lot this past season, lot of oz zone starts etc.

50 points is pretty optimistic but i have faith :).

Good analyze, but at last season Tatar got more offensive zone Ice-time, than he would get at next season if Zeta-Dats -duo is healthy and if Weiss has is own line rolling. Those other lines will eat OZone IT off from Tatar's line vs. last season and that could lower his point total per game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad