Lets go red wings!

GrimWings

#Greenforpresident
Jun 28, 2014
Right here
So everyone, including I have been a little down and out about Cleary and KFQ and the off season so far but we need some pick me ups. If you're here in this forum, its probably because you're a fan of the best NHL team in its existence: the Detroit Red Wings!

Just because we have a few problems, maybe with management, or with players ain't anything to cry over. We still have an awesome team. Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Weiss are supposedly healthy. Mike Babcock admits Cleary was crap last year. The kid line (with possibly the exception of Jurco) is returning for a sophomore season, should be better than last year! Plus there is always the possibility that Anthony Mothra beats out Cleary! (I can dream right?)

So post positives about our team, and don't bring whine with you.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
If we can stay remotely healthy, I can see us being a top 5 team in the East

I agree. If I recal correctly last year we were close to the top of the East until we were ravaged by injuries. I think starting this year with Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and Dekyser all a year older and on the opening day roster may help us win some of those early season games we lost last year.

Now we should lock this thread up before people starting getting the impression that some of our fans still would like to see this Holland team win.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I've been using this board as a soapbox and have been pretty miserable lately despite personally wanting to start a thread like this. Hypocritical, but I need to let this negativity out, and posting online is incredibly harmless in the grand scheme of things.

Positive things about the team:

Forwards. We have a group of forwards that, if healthy, are as good as anyone outside of the Kings, I'd say. Top end talent with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, good supporting cast with skill in Tatar, Nyquist, Alfredsson (?), Weiss (?), Jurco (?), streaky forward with the ability to take over games in Franzen, some solid middle 6 types who bring some hustle in Abdelkader and Helm. Lots to work with to construct a good 4th line for Babcock. Basically only missing a power forward, but those guys are increasingly rarer as time moves on.

Goaltending is good enough to get us into the playoffs and give us a shot to win on the vast majority of nights, assuming Howard is at or close to 12/13 form. Good organizational depth there with Gustavsson and Mrazek on deck.

D needs work, but Kronwall is a good guy to have and we can likely expect some growth from DeKeyser and Smith again this year. Ericsson (if healthy) is a very useful player. Ideally the team goes through some injury troubles like last year and Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Backman, Jensen all get some games. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of them end up sticking around for a while towards the end of the year.

Sure, there will be a lot of bumps, but I think the fan base is closer to getting what they want every year. We know not to hold our breath, but there was definite progress for our young forwards last season. Hopefully over the next couple years that will be the same with the blueline.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If they can stay remotely healthy and the youth doesn't take a step backwards due to mismanagement or sophomore slumps. Oh and Howard has to be less Howard like.

I really have to think who is our last better prospect to have a sophomore slump...?

Datsyuk went 31 --> 51 --> 68 points
Zetterberg went 44 --> 43 --> 85 points (lost 21 games for injury on the 2nd season)
Hudler went 25 --> 42 --> 57 points
Filppula went 17 --> 36 --> 40 points
Franzen 16 --> 30 --> 38 points
Kronwall 22 --> 35 --> 51 points

I just can't find anybody from our near history. Maybe Jason Williams?

I really think that our overripening system takes those sophomore effects out already on the AHL years. Always a progressive production from guys at productive roles. Bottom6 is a bit different.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I really have to think who is our last better prospect to have a sophomore slump...?

Datsyuk went 31 --> 51 --> 68 points
Zetterberg went 44 --> 43 --> 85 points (lost 21 games for injury on the 2nd season)
Hudler went 25 --> 42 --> 57 points
Filppula went 17 --> 36 --> 40 points
Franzen 16 --> 30 --> 38 points
Kronwall 22 --> 35 --> 51 points

I just can't find anybody from our near history. Maybe Jason Williams?

I really think that our overripening system takes those sophomore effects out already on the AHL years. Always a progressive production from guys at productive roles. Bottom6 is a bit different.

Great examples, problem with that is that they were almost to a fault in positions where the team didn't need their production to stay the same/stable in order to not tread water. Sophomore slumps usually are an indication of pressure on a young player to produce not a lack of talent.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
If they can stay remotely healthy and the youth doesn't take a step backwards due to mismanagement or sophomore slumps. Oh and Howard has to be less Howard like.

Great examples, problem with that is that they were almost to a fault in positions where the team didn't need their production to stay the same/stable in order to not tread water. Sophomore slumps usually are an indication of pressure on a young player to produce not a lack of talent.

A little negativity is starting to creap in. :)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I vote we call him Anthony Mothra from now on.

My positive spin: if we can have a year on defense like we had on forward last year, that'll be an enormous step forward for this team. Somebody is destined to get hurt, and when they do, the kids should impress.

There will certainly be some injuries at forward, too, and we have some further prospects at forward who could show their stuff in a callup.

Mrazek will be up at some point in the year. Gus must be his best buddy at this point.

Overall picture: the team we want to have is slowly coming together. We might have the whole enchilada by 2015-2016, which is exciting. Bonus points: unlike other teams, our prospect dream team has yet to bust. It's really impressive to see how many guys get better every single year, especially given the incredible depth of the prospect pool. This organization is stacked at every position—unfairly so at wing and defense. This year they took substantial steps in shoring up their one weakness, center depth. Now there are several center prospects (Nosek, Larkin, Ehn, Kadeykin) that the organization believes have untapped offensive upside.

Last edited:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
We all know Howie can be an excellent goalie. Nearly every goaltender has a down year, we know he is very capable of being much better than last year. D & Z will both be healthier than they have been in years. Weiss may actually be able to be a competent #2C. If Smith and DD improve as they very well should I see the defense actually being pretty solid. I also believe last year was a total fluke with the injuries we had, things are looking much better next season.

Actual Thought*

We have the finest coaching/gm tandem in the NHL. I am expecting a 100 pt season.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Howard will bounce back, Smith will have a big year (30-35 points)

If we stay relatively healthy and the kids at the least dont regress we'll be fighting Montreal and Tampa for for 2nd/3rd in the division

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We're going to be great this year. I actually have no doubt. Our forward lineup is night and day compared to the last 2 years, Pav and Z will finally have some support from Day 1.

Let people hype up Tampa, Florida, Montreal etc., I get this feeling we're going to sneak up on the East and be one of the top teams. All we need is someone to step up on defense. A breakout season from Smith or a Jurco/Sheahan impact from Ouellet/Sproul/Marchenko/Backman and we're good.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yeah I'm ready for the season to start. This team, while having a mediocre defense, still is a top team in the East. IF they can stay healthy that will surely make the team defense better and Howard better. The team is built like a structured puzzle, pieces must fit to get the best out of the team as a whole. I also expect the PP to be top 10.

I expect a slump from Sheahan though. Just a gut feeling. I think Smith and Kindl amaze and Dekeyser gets talked about a lot as the future weapon of the DRWs. He's an amazing d-man... way underrated.

I think KFQ will have a better year because his line-mates will be better.

My post might sound optimistic, but if healthy, I can see this team going places. It can't rain every day... can it?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah I'm ready for the season to start. This team, while having a mediocre defense, still is a top team in the East. IF they can stay healthy that will surely make the team defense better and Howard better. The team is built like a structured puzzle, pieces must fit to get the best out of the team as a whole. I also expect the PP to be top 10.

I expect a slump from Sheahan though. Just a gut feeling. I think Smith and Kindl amaze and Dekeyser gets talked about a lot as the future weapon of the DRWs. He's an amazing d-man... way underrated.

My post might sound optimistic, but if healthy, I can see this team going places. It can't rain every day... can it?

Oh, it can, and it will.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I actually think this will be Smith's year. Danny is good but I see him settling in as a #3-4 shutdown d-man. Smith, if he puts it together, has a high ceiling. Excited to see what they both do this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad