Let's be honest... Should the B's get a seasoned Backup

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good post, Glory. I think people underestimate/undervalue Subban here (I think the PK factor is part of the issue... and I understand it, as a Habs hater). People point to his 1 game last year, but I think he was thrown under the bus somewhat last season (sat against Oilers, then played against Blues).

Read far too many comments from various posters here (not you) who used his one game sample size against one of the best regular season teams out there as a reason to move him/be worried about him/exclaim him to be a bust which was just silly

Whomever plays best in camp, starts with the big boys, if they struggle, ya try the next one

Save that space they created for plugging a weakness at the deadline

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I'd rather wait and see how "what we have" looks in training camp and, possibly, in game situations. I wouldn't wait to long though.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If your goal is to make the playoffs with a good but not very good team - which is probably what the Bruins will be - then acquiring a cheap veteran netminder is the way to go.

If this was a total rebuild year, I'd give Smith the opportunity (and they should give him a good look regardless). But it's not, and the Bruins still have enough to make things interesting.

It would be foolish to gamble on totally untested youth in a very difficult & vital role. We all know how that worked last year. Wearing out TR for a second straight season would be foolish as well.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
How does a guy become a "veteran backup" unless he gets a chance? Are teams just going to keep employing Curtis McElhinney and Jason LaBarbera forever?

I can say "Smith will be fine", because I think he will, but he might not be. But I'll give him a chance first.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That's fine, but nobody was calling Rask a "veteran backup" back in 2009, like BMC is talking about now. If we signed a guy with Rask's resume today, would anyone call him that?

I just have a problem with saying that we have no interest in making the playoffs if "x" player is not signed. It could be any position really. It's never that simple. No team at this point in the season is already tanking on purpose.

I'm with ODAAT on this one. If it's nearing the deadline and one particular position or player could be signed and get us over the hump and we can afford him and don't sign him, then I'll start to criticize. In August? No way.

August is the time to add players at their cheapest amount. If it's deadline day and you've come to the realization that you have no back-up goalie, it's most likely too late.

At other positions I agree, you can give it a month and let a player prove it. At back-up a guy might have a couple bad starts and then not play for a week, and then it might be 1 game and another week off. At that point you'd be saying "He's only played 4 games, it's still way too early." By the time a back-up has played a significant number of games for you to be convinced it's most likely too late.

Jeremy Smith could be another Tim Thomas, but most likely he is what he is: a career minor leaguer. If we were talking about going into the season with Justin Brouillette as our 7th D, I'd be worried too.

If you can add a better player for free, there's no reason not to do it.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm sorry, but I keep looking at the title of this thread and chuckling because it reminds me of the Rebel Wilson line from "Pitch Perfect"...

It's not enough that you watched that movie.

It's not enough enough that you can quote it.

It's that you think it would be a good idea to quote it.:laugh:

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
If those are the best 3 options may as well see what Smith has got. Smith has been a solid AHL goalie for years and was very good last year it's his time to see what he's got.

Emery was never that good and his best days are past him and he could be a problem, Fasth is injury prone and sucks and Gustavsson always did suck.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
If those are the best 3 options may as well see what Smith has got. Smith has been a solid AHL goalie for years and was very good last year it's his time to see what he's got.

Emery was never that good and his best days are past him and he could be a problem, Fasth is injury prone and sucks and Gustavsson always did suck.

Is crippled, his movements are restricted due to past injuries. What is it? I think he can't drop down and can't move side to side like a goalie is supposed to.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'm sorry, but I keep looking at the title of this thread and chuckling because it reminds me of the Rebel Wilson line from "Pitch Perfect"...

"Lez-be-honest".

:laugh:

Back to the hockey talk.

I'm pretty sure you once gave me **** for quoting Taylor Swift here, so consider this your receipt.

It's not enough that you watched that movie.

It's not enough enough that you can quote it.

It's that you think it would be a good idea to quote it.:laugh:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Will trading Martin Jones for the Sharks 2016 1st end up being a smart decision if our backup ends up being Subban or McIntyre yall think?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Will trading Martin Jones for the Sharks 2016 1st end up being a smart decision if our backup ends up being Subban or McIntyre yall think?

They simply have to give Tuukka some time in preseason to get ready for the bell but they need to play the prospects 2/3's of the time to see what they have.

None of us expect a Cup next season but another DNQ would be a disaster in maintaining STH holders.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Read far too many comments from various posters here (not you) who used his one game sample size against one of the best regular season teams out there as a reason to move him/be worried about him/exclaim him to be a bust which was just silly

Whomever plays best in camp, starts with the big boys, if they struggle, ya try the next one

Right on the money. This.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
If there's any doubt of whether they're ready or not, then yes. Get a vet. Goalies are such a crap shoot. Guys like Subban/McIntyre who have so much potential, ruining their confidence at this stage is more or less ruining their career.

See how they do first... Invite one to training camp. IMO neither of those two are ready. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I want to see if McIntyre can go from being elite in the NCAA to being elite in the AHL. Need to see a bit more out of Subban. I bet both see some NHL time this year, but on opening day, Smith or a vet.

Jones was an asset, nothing more... He's a guy who has extremely little NHL experience yet extremely high value. We have guys with comparable upside, you trade the one with the most value. I highly doubt having him on the team was an option from the start.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I totally agree in regards to Subban but man that was a bad game . Hope that hasn't got in his head . I just don't want to see a repeat of last year : Rask clearly overworked because we didn't have an NHL caliber goalie who could back him up.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I totally agree in regards to Subban but man that was a bad game . Hope that hasn't got in his head . I just don't want to see a repeat of last year : Rask clearly overworked because we didn't have an NHL caliber goalie who could back him up.

Edmonton was the game that Subban should have started.

I have been told Chia made the call and overruled Julien who wanted Subban to start vs the Oilers. :dunno:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Edmonton was the game that Subban should have started.

I have been told Chia made the call and overruled Julien who wanted Subban to start vs the Oilers. :dunno:

And we ended up losing in the shootout to the oilers lol shocker. I have a feeling we would have lost to the oilers with Subban in net anyway though.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
They will probably give guys like Smith, McIntyre, and Subban a chance at training camp just like they are giving our young defenseman a shot. If no one is up to it, then they'll look for help.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
While keeping Martin Jones would have been ideal , the issue was that he wanted to be a starter. Forcing him into the back-up roll would likely have come with a whole lot of problems, probably starting with getting him to sign contract.

He signed for 3M per in SJ, was he going to get that here as a back-up?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

The team in front of him played horrific against an exceptionally solid team

I don`t blame Subban and he`s hardly the first goalie making his first start who`s wanted a few goals back

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
While keeping Martin Jones would have been ideal , the issue was that he wanted to be a starter. Forcing him into the back-up roll would likely have come with a whole lot of problems, probably starting with getting him to sign contract.

He signed for 3M per in SJ, was he going to get that here as a back-up?

I`ll wager Sweeney and Company had no intentions of Jones ever playing in a B`s uniform, they acquired him to move him

trudatman*

....we didn't have an NHL caliber goalie who could back him up.
please try to back this up with more than "that's what everybody typed, so we should believe it." cite actual evidence. I'm beyond sick of that pile of feces being dumped on us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad