Let's be honest... Should the B's get a seasoned Backup

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Will trading Martin Jones for the Sharks 2016 1st end up being a smart decision if our backup ends up being Subban or McIntyre yall think?

With having what the Bruins have (Rask) trading Jones (for what he is suppose to be/became) is the smartest thing that could be done.

Zac Rinaldo*

my sort of blind assumption is zane will take it out of training camp based on his poise and his maturity and also given that i think subban would benefit more playing as a full time starter at this point. i don't see smith as a viable option although i've only seen him live twice

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's not enough that you watched that movie.

It's not enough enough that you can quote it.

It's that you think it would be a good idea to quote it.:laugh:

I'm pretty sure you once gave me **** for quoting Taylor Swift here, so consider this your receipt.

Rebel Wilson is a bad a$$ Australian chick who likes to party and could probably kick both out butts. Taylor Swift is my daughter's favorite...no comparison between the two.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I loved "Pitch Perfect", you can take my man card away if you want (pretty sure you will have to get it from my wife anyway) :laugh:

Don't let EverettMike hear you dissing "Pitch Perfect", he will be all over your ****!

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Emery had a GAA above 3 and a sub .900 Save % with Philly in 31 games last year...

Pass.

I say he's an upgrade on Svedberg, but cannot say (at this time) whether he's an upgrade on Smith, or Subban.

There are options. A simple PTO could easily answer this question.

The GAA is not a concern in the least. The Save% does admittedly cause concern.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I say he's an upgrade on Svedberg, but cannot say (at this time) whether he's an upgrade on Smith, or Subban.

There are options. A simple PTO could easily answer this question.

The GAA is not a concern in the least. The Save% does admittedly cause concern.

It's a concern when his partner's GAA was .81 lower. If both Philly goalies were above 3 goals per game, then I would say it was a team issue, not Emery's. However, 2.25 GAA (Mason) vs 3.06 (Emery) is an issue for me.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's a concern when his partner's GAA was .81 lower. If both Philly goalies were above 3 goals per game, then I would say it was a team issue, not Emery's. However, 2.25 GAA (Mason) vs 3.06 (Emery) is an issue for me.

Yet Mason only won 8 more games than his understudy Emery.

Emery won 10 games, on a bad team, last year.

Bruins need a back up that can do this.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Emery 31GP 0.894 3.06
Svedberg 18GP 0.918 2.33

explain why Svedberg needed to be "upgraded" and how Emery does that. seriously.

I simply offer a potential solution. Offering a PTO to a vet like Emery is a 'potential' solution. I say this team needs a little geico right now (that means insurance in Canada).

Svedberg is not part of the solution apparently. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Monster, Budaj and Fasth are all still available and could be signed for a cheap 1 year deal.

Calgary has Hiller, Ramo and Ortio all waiver eligible. They don't want to lose Ortio for nothing, so they'd deal him or Ramo pretty cheaply. There are probably a couple of other teams with similar situations I could find if I checked.

I would sign 1 of those vet ufa's. I'd Make Subban the starter in Providence with Smith his back-up. I'd have McIntyre get start in the ECHL where he can play every day.

If at some point in the season it became clear that Subban or McIntyre deserved a promotion, the you move the vet ufa or Smith.

If we do nothing then what we have is either

a)a career AHL goalie in Smith as our back up with either Subban and McIntyre splitting time (not good for either) OR Subban getting the bulk of the starts and Zane in the ECHL anyway.

or

b) Subban/Zane sitting on the bench in the NHL behind Rask

My way is the best for 1) winning this year and 2) giving our 2 best G prospects maximum playing time.

Again, make them EARN a promotion, don't hand them a job and then see if they fail and react then.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
You think anyone in Providence is up to Rask's level back then?

That's said with the knowledge that Tuuka is a top 5 goalkeeper in the NHL right NOW. Nobody knew he was going to be that good back then. Nobody.

And we won't know how good our GK prospects are until we give them some playing time. Let them play in the soft/easy games to get their feet wet and we can evaluate if we need a vet backup at the Trade Deadline depending on how we are doing at that time.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That's said with the knowledge that Tuuka is a top 5 goalkeeper in the NHL right NOW. Nobody knew he was going to be that good back then. Nobody.

And we won't know how good our GK prospects are until we give them some playing time. Let them play in the soft/easy games to get their feet wet and we can evaluate if we need a vet backup at the Trade Deadline depending on how we are doing at that time.

Sure we can trade Johnny Boychuk now. We won't know how good Warsofsky, Trotman, Morrow and our other young D will be unless we give them some playing time. We can use those 2nds and buy a vet dman at the trading deadline if we need to.

If this is your plan you have to take into account that Tuukka's 1st year he actually played more games than Thomas. He wasn't sitting around playing the weak teams every 6 games. It's just not in Subban's or McIntyre's longterm development to have them sitting as Rask plays 60+ games.

The only way you "stand pat" is if you think Smith can adequately play 20 games for you. But he's 26 years old, has never played an NHL game, and his AHL record is 3 good years and 2 bad years.

I guess I don't understand why people are opposed to making a simple and free improvement to the team.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
There is always a team that has their ahl guy surprise them with some decent hockey. Then they are willing to move one of their encumbants. If neither of our kids pan out it will be fairly easy to grab a middle of the road backup whenever we want.

Guys like craig anderson... devan dubynk... ben bishop... brian elliot and many more were easily available to anyone that felt desperate for a goalie.

Of course you never know which of these guys will work out... but the quality of available backups now sucks. Getting a sucky guy is never a desperate move.

Lets give the kids a carrot to play for in camp.

If otoni in calgary does get waived... i would grab him if our own kids dont nail down a job

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
There is always a team that has their ahl guy surprise them with some decent hockey. Then they are willing to move one of their encumbants. If neither of our kids pan out it will be fairly easy to grab a middle of the road backup whenever we want.

Guys like craig anderson... devan dubynk... ben bishop... brian elliot and many more were easily available to anyone that felt desperate for a goalie.

Of course you never know which of these guys will work out... but the quality of available backups now sucks. Getting a sucky guy is never a desperate move.

Lets give the kids a carrot to play for in camp.

If otoni in calgary does get waived... i would grab him if our own kids dont nail down a job

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
It seems like DS is stuck with the same perdicament on defence.... do you run into camp with what you've got and then see from there and maybe sign a UFA or do you extend some offers??? I think it would be a little foolish not to extend Gus or Budjai a professional tryout....maybe use that to push the kids in camp and hopefully one of them excels. we have some cap space we can get a back up G or add a 2nd pairing dman in Franson or Erhoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad