Lethbridge does away with hockey programs

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

This ought to be a fun discussion, given the no-politics-on-hockey-boards edict, but this is in response to the Alberta government's deep budget cuts (which were announced well before the COVID-19 meltdown took hold). In other contexts, this kind of decision would often lead to some push by alumni associations doing fundraising drives, but given the current economic climate, is there any appetite for that from a university that has a long history in hockey but not a lot of success as a hockey school, that is a small university competing against huge schools, and whose programs aren't generally churning out high profile graduates in numbers like the larger schools, does that happen now?

It's also interesting timing, given that Grant MacEwan and Trinity Western are scheduled to come on board (assuming there is a season this year). Maybe Lethbridge finds enough funding to put clubs in ACAC?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Bad timing. When this happened with UBC they had a chance for a local campaign to save the program. They had a fundraising game against Bieksa's Buddies.

Don't count out the group who put together the U-Cup sponsorship.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lethbridge go to the ACAC to replace McEwan.

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It's never fun when a program shuts down. Other than the obvious impact to the student-athletes there is a coaching staff and equipment people that are out of a job as well. Regardless of the size of their fan-base I also feel bad for them.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Bad timing. When this happened with UBC they had a chance for a local campaign to save the program. They had a fundraising game against Bieksa's Buddies.

Don't count out the group who put together the U-Cup sponsorship.

This is what I don't understand. They had enough $$$ to host the U-Cup. What the heck happened?
I wouldn't mind seeing Lethbridge go to the ACAC to replace McEwan.
Is SAIT joining Canada West as well?

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
This is what I don't understand. They had enough $$$ to host the U-Cup. What the heck happened?

Is SAIT joining Canada West as well?

SAIT can't join Canada West as it's legally labeled differently. And with the budget constraints across the province and the lack of alumni support for hockey I can't imagine they'll move up anytime soon.

There's a lot of people who were blindsided by this decision, and that's the part that hurts more than anything. If you're going to cut the program, fine, but some advance warning please, give them a shot at fundraising or time to find their guys new places to play or work. Don't just drop it in a morning meeting when you've been considering it for months, that's a bad look.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
CW is supposed to be adding two new hockey clubs next season; Trinity Western University Spartans and MacEwan University Griffins.

So, there is a net gain.

Might be they saw these new teams and budget impacts as a chance to pull the plug.

I don’t like it, but if you’re going to cut the program - better now rather then at the last minute in August.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
A nine team conference is certainly going to make for some challenges when it comes to scheduling. The AUS can get away with an odd number of teams due to the proximity of the schools allowing mid-week games...it’s going to be a lot tougher in CW.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
A nine team conference is certainly going to make for some challenges when it comes to scheduling. The AUS can get away with an odd number of teams due to the proximity of the schools allowing mid-week games...it’s going to be a lot tougher in CW.
The two new teams open up more mid-week possibilities, though. Wonder if that helps ease a lot of the issues with a possible 9-team schedule. Lakehead has recently started to play a couple three-game weekends here in Ontario, which gives them a weekend or two off throughout the year. Wonder if some CW clubs will be forced to do the same.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

Canada West teams already have bye weeks, so that won't be an issue.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

The Alberta government cut funding to its colleges and universities by 6.3 per cent. If I read the story correctly it means nearly half a billion dollars annually in operating funding.

Alberta budget 2020: Advanced education funding cut 6.3 per cent, tuition to rise | Edmonton Journal

The problems with Alberta's budget is a heck of a lot worse. Their revenue assumptions were based on oil at $58/bbl, and yesterday it was, uh, substantially less.

Varcoe: Oil price plunge to negative, tightening screws on Alberta producers and province | Calgary Herald

The bottom line is that this government has no problem in cutting funding and now has limited ability to reverse its stance. So getting money from the government to solve the problem won't happen. Maybe they can ask some former coaches to contribute?

Mike Babcock Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Bill Peters Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
The Alberta government cut funding to its colleges and universities by 6.3 per cent. If I read the story correctly it means nearly half a billion dollars annually in operating funding.

Alberta budget 2020: Advanced education funding cut 6.3 per cent, tuition to rise | Edmonton Journal

The problems with Alberta's budget is a heck of a lot worse. Their revenue assumptions were based on oil at $58/bbl, and yesterday it was, uh, substantially less.

Varcoe: Oil price plunge to negative, tightening screws on Alberta producers and province | Calgary Herald

The bottom line is that this government has no problem in cutting funding and now has limited ability to reverse its stance. So getting money from the government to solve the problem won't happen. Maybe they can ask some former coaches to contribute?

Mike Babcock Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Bill Peters Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

A couple of things to consider here:

1) Depending on the university, less than half of their revenue comes from the Provincial Government. Generally speaking, the larger / better the university, the less reliant it is on the Provincial Government. Lethbridge is low on the totem pole, so they are going to be more affected than, say, U of Alberta or U of Saskatchewan.
2) It's impossible to cut faculty salaries / research costs. That is what the university does, and how it maintains accreditation. You can't cut there. So, if you have to cut ... the first thing to go is non-academic services. Administrators, athletics, etc.
3) With rare exception (hello, UNB), athletic programs cost the university A LOT of money. Aside from enhancing student life, they provide zero benefit to the university. I say this as a former varsity athlete and coach ... they are great to have, but great universities exist without them. Only in North America are universities saddled with athletics.

One thing worth considering here ... Lethbridge does not have its own arena. Why does this matter? Well, the cost of renting ice time is easy to cut, but the cost of running an arena on-campus is not.

If you're looking for which universities might make similar decisions soon, look to the ones who are (a) low-ranking, (b) don't have on-campus facilities, and (c) have to travel a lot. I'm keeping an eye on Laurentian and Nipissing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad