Confirmed with Link: Letestu signs with Edmonton

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think Boone slots in there.

He can in the short term if needed but neither him or Wennberg is going to be 4C. I could see him being 3C though if for some reason Wennberg is sent down.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Deal Anisimov, then let Letestu walk...

So much for depth at center.

I would have worked real damn hard to bring Mark back, but even so, there are still options. Karlsson and Chaput have their warts but are in-house options. As Derby said Boone could move over and it opens up a spot for a winger. Jarmo could still sign a free agent for that spot (although I don't think he will).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 43s43 seconds ago

1.8 per year for Letestu

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 43s43 seconds ago

1.8 per year for Letestu

:madfire:

Jesus, we let him walk at that price? That's worse that the Malhotra mess.

Porty tweeting that Chaput or Wild Bill will likely center the 4th unless we make another move.

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH
As much as I love Letestu, I feel like in order to have legit 1st and 2nd liners, you can't afford to have too much tied up in 3rd and 4th line centers. You almost have to have a young development guy at 3C (wennberg or Jenner) and have a borderline AHL player on a two way contract at 4C. You obviously don't want to play a young guy you're trying to develop on the 4th line, but you can't spend real money on that position for a guy like letestu either.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
It was term not price that they let him walk on.

You could be right, will have to see the term to be certain.

As for others comments on Jenner, I've never thought of him as a Center optimally. I know he can do the job (so can Foligno), but I like him at the wing, I like him with Joey tbh.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Where's that gif of Letestu after his shoot out goal? The smirk and nod? One of my all time favorite moments.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You could be right, will have to see the term to be certain.

As for others comments on Jenner, I've never thought of him as a Center optimally. I know he can do the job (so can Foligno), but I like him at the wing, I like him with Joey tbh.

3 years.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
3 years at 1.8 fits the cap by my way of thinking. I think that was a dumb move. Karlsson better be the 2nd coming.

Agree. Even if you don't like the term, it's an easily tradeable contract in year 3 at $1.8M.....

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Where's that gif of Letestu after his shoot out goal? The smirk and nod? One of my all time favorite moments.

HVRJuYX.gif

KlichkoBro*

And they've signed Boll for the same term and money. Sometimes I can't understand the front office.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Stinks to see him go. Hopefully we are not rolling with just Wild Bill & Chaput.

I'd be more than happy about that. People weren't happy when we didn't bring back MacKenzie. Now some aren't happy we aren't bringing back Mark Letestu. I liked both, but both are replaceable.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I shall maintain that not resigning DMac only ended up hurting so badly because we were forced to rely on the Boll/Tropp/Cracknell trio so much.

I see this working out similarly. We have the depth to replace him without too much of a loss but if we have another injury filled season like last year, this will kill us.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I shall maintain that not resigning DMac only ended up hurting so badly because we were forced to rely on the Boll/Tropp/Cracknell trio so much.

Well if Derek MacKenzie was enjoying his 1,3 million+ multi-year deal in Columbus Letestu would have hit the exit anyways.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd be more than happy about that. People weren't happy when we didn't bring back MacKenzie. Now some aren't happy we aren't bringing back Mark Letestu. I liked both, but both are replaceable.

Unfortunately we never quite replaced D-Mac and we'll have to wait to see how we replace Letestu. In theory I agree with you but so far the reality has been less than ideal.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't think the Jackets should have matched the contract DMac got in Florida, but I would have been fine with matching Letestu's EDM contract.

Sad to see Letestu go, but I think we still have the forward depth to cover his departure.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I agree with you in general, except I saw him as more than a 4th line C because of his ability to play wing, move up lines, PK, shame shootpit help, and add more scoring as 4C when playing with competent line mates. I too wish him well.

He's versatile for sure but we don't want the most expensive 4th line in the NHL this year, so good on him getting 1.8 per for 3 years with an up and coming team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad