News Article: Letang Suspended 1 Game

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Unless someone on this blueline comes through in a big way, we're going to get rung the **** up without Letang.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Caps organization is the biggest bunch of crybabies in the league. They have a bunch of guys who run around throwing borderline hits, then the very moment something similar happens to them, they cry relentlessly in the media about.

I hope the league remembers how offended the Caps players are about those types of hits when Ovechkin does his patented charging/leaping hits, and when Wilson does nothing but take a beeline from the blueline and charge 50 feet to throw a high hit at an opposing player.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Murray needs to play the game of his life if the Penguins are going to compete in game 4.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The Caps organization is the biggest bunch of crybabies in the league. They have a bunch of guys who run around throwing borderline hits, then the very moment something similar happens to them, they cry relentlessly in the media about.

I hope the league remembers how offended the Caps players are about those types of hits when Ovechkin does his patented charging/leaping hits, and when Wilson does nothing but take a beeline from the blueline and charge 50 feet to throw a high hit at an opposing player.

There is nothing borderline about the Capitals hits. They are coached to injure the other team.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I'm pretty sure we gonna win this. I believe in this group and I expect them to be at 200%. Let's ****ing go. Give me the chance to laugh when it's all done without Letang.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I just don't see us winning tomorrow without him. From there it will be a best of three.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Letang is a HUGE loss. However, this team is strong enough - as a five-man unit - to survive it. I think they could pull out another win tomorrow if they play the right way and stick to the system. Hold the neutral zone, get in the lanes, get on the forecheck, etc.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I dont automatically accept we're getting flattened tomorrow. Sorry.

Daley was huge in the regular season. Cole has been much better this series. Pouliot came in yesterday and looked good. Bottom line is that if everyone can step up AND we get a big game from the offense you never know.

Its gonna have to be a huge effort, but this team has produced some pretty incredible single game performances over the last 5 months and I dont think they're done just yet. Also, they have to know they stunk it up last game and need to recover. We played good in Gm2 after a putrid OT/3rd period effort. We could really bounce back on this one.

The press and the capitals did a hockey equivalent of when soccer players crowd the ref.

It just really annoys me that he gets suspended but no discussion whatsoever of Backstrom's jumping hip to Letang's head in the same game.

This. They politicked their way to a suspension plain and simple. I'm still mad 58 gave them a chance to, but any respect I had for their coach after this (and there was some) is gone.

He was probably saying hail marys during intermission last night, thanking god that Letang's hit gave him a chance to play victim rather than being the big bad bullies. Because before that it was Wilson and Orpik taking out two of our players, one permanently.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Welp, looks like we lost game 4.

They can win, they just need to play a hell of a lot better than in game 3 (except Murray). If Crosby and Malkin finally show up, especially the former, we do stand a chance. I assume MS dresses 7 D-men.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
DOPeS got played by the Caps/Media and fans before (laughed at worse acts/complained about supplemental handed out of said acts), during (calling it late and he left his feet and point of contact was the head) and after (thought it should be more, same as Orpiks)

I'm with Stan Savaran and not with Madden. Madden feels it is right for one game but also acknowledged it was a bought suspension. He kept calling it a hit to the head implying that it was head contact first.

Sorry....it was not. Head contact is secondary.

Stan had it right, give him the fine. He didn't leave the game and he threw his own retaliatory 7 hits during the rest of the game and was quite functional being one of the leaders in their charge to try and win the game. Meaning he didn't leave the game for good because he didn't take a direct blow to the head.

But......By the leagues own standards shown in the DOPS's own videos this wasn't even a penalty, (though you can't expect the refs to determine that at full speed) but understand a call is made. Make the right call though, as it wasn't late by any standards the refs currently use every single game. Call it roughing, it's not like that makes it any less suspendable if the act is found malicious.

Don't have a problem with one game, but it sure should not have been if not bought by a bunch of cowardly Lions feasting on kill and eating their, cake too.

Pens are down their top two D-men. Orpik is by far not their top two.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006

Barry Trotz implying Pittsburgh gets preferential treatment from league refs is more than incorrect, it's also laughable.

No league star is abused as Crosby is and the nonsense now extends to the Pens as a team.

You can see two crystal clear tactics so far in this series: 1/ Pittsburgh's reluctance to draw penalties and give Caps PP opps (but they're called for weak-sauce infractions, anyway) and 2) Washington's aim to take advantage of point number one.

I give high marks for Penguin restraint. The HNIC crew don't see this, at all. Pulling for Caps, maybe?
Whatever the reason I am being subjected to low-brow announcing in your series. Mute button will have to be used I guess.

But the Pens restraint and the sparkling play of Murray has Washington ready to blow a gasket. :nod:

I want those fuses and gaskets to blow soon!

Best of luck to the Pens.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U

Daley was huge in the regular season. Cole has been much better this series. Pouliot came in yesterday and looked good. Bottom line is that if everyone can step up AND we get a big game from the offense you never know.

Its gonna have to be a huge effort, but this team has produced some pretty incredible single game performances over the last 5 months and I dont think they're done just yet. Also, they have to know they stunk it up last game and need to recover. We played good in Gm2 after a putrid OT/3rd period effort. We could really bounce back on this one.

This. They politicked their way to a suspension plain and simple. I'm still mad 58 gave them a chance to, but any respect I had for their coach after this (and there was some) is gone.

He was probably saying hail marys during intermission last night, thanking god that Letang's hit gave him a chance to play victim rather than being the big bad bullies. Because before that it was Wilson and Orpik taking out two of our players, one permanently.

I absolutely agree. Letang helps their current style of play, but I think the rest of the players, especially Crosby and Malkin, can help the Pens beat the caps in the next game.

I actually think the team will respond well. There's no reason to think otherwise since Christmas, really - unless you think the Pens don't have enough talent to beat the caps without Letang.

I think they have plenty if they play well.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I agree, and they just need the forwards to do a bit more, I don't think the back end is depleted of puck movers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad