Confirmed with Link: Letang, Subban, Suter are first-time Norris finalists

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
If he was "horrible" like some of you suggest, we would not be a playoff team.

Fair enough. Its the high expectations more than his actual play. He has been horrible by past seasons' Chara standards, but still better than most everyone on the Bruins back end.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Chara's had a good year by league standards, but probably not by his standards.

No to Letang. Good offensive defenseman and has improved defensively, but not Norris-quality. Plus, he missed 13 games. In this shortened season, that's a quarter of the year. Shouldn't have been nominated.

Subban, other than he fact that he's a schmo, has had an outstanding year. I also think it's no stretch to say that being able to play the full season with Markov has helped him immensely.

Suter brought Jonas Brodin, a quality rookie on his own, into Calder contention, (and at the same time made Shea Weber look human with his absence), led the league in TOI, and still managed to finish in the top 3 in scoring among defenders. He finished on the plus side while playing the hardest minutes for a Minnesota team that cannot score and worked with the thinnest margin of error. While the Parise signing is what everyone in Minnesota was so excited about, it's the Suter part that will really benefit that franchise going forward.

Norris better be Suter's.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
A lot of the usual suspects didn't play up to par this year, choices are fine with me.

Agreed. So far, the night before the announcements I try to think of who I think will be finalists

I thought Huberdeau, Gallagher, and Yakupov for Calder

I was thinking Suter, Subban, and Letang too. Guys like Weber and Chara just didn't deserve to be there

For Vezina tomorrow I am going to go with Bob, Niemi, and Rask

jasonbaz77*

Letang and Subban for best DEFENSMAN :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Let that sink in. Letang is a sieve.

jasonbaz77*

Gallagher had a massive year, but if I were to choose I would say Galchenyuk will be the better player.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
I think Subban will win this relatively easily. Suter started off slowly, and even though he is better defensively the voters get hard for points. Letang played 35 games. Subban was also effective in all zones. Hey, as good as Karlsson is I didn't think he deserved it last year because he's basically another forward out there, but he took it based on points alone basically.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
When will they announce the Selke and Vezina finalists?

Vezina tomorrow, Selke on the 15th

The entire schedule is

Calder 5/6
Norris 5/7
Vezina 5/8
Ted Lindsay 5/9
Hart 5/10

GM of the Year 5/13
Masterton 5/14
Selke 5/15
Lady Byng 5/16
Jack Adams 5/17

Messier 5/20

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
To each his own. I just can't label it as a horrible season. I'd concede that he's been horrible by the enormous standard we hold him to, but I mostly reserve the term for guys like Phaneuf.

I have pretty low standards for fake defensemen like Phaneuf, Subban, Karlsson,, Letang, Byfuglien, Green, etc. but much higher ones for legit guys like Chara, Suter, Webber. After nominating guys like Letang, Subban, and Karlsson, they might as well induct Phil Housley and Kevin Hatcher into the hall of fame.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Well, if the emphasis is on offense for the Norris, Subban has it hands down. He IS pretty offensive.:sarcasm:

I wouldn't mind seeing Letang win

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
The difference in points (six...) is not NEARLY enough to put Subban or Letang above Suter. It should be his to lose but I don't trust anyone.

Letang is an absolute pylon on the defensive side. Just look at the Marchand goal for any proof of that. Subban is nothing special defensively at all, and Letang had as many points as him in a lot fewer games.

Should be Suter and it shouldn't be close.

acr*

Suter is the only one of the three who can actually play defense, so he better win.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00