Confirmed with Link: Letang Penguins' Nominee for Masterson

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
When Penguins defenseman Christian Ehrhoff was a late scratch in Saturday’s 3-1 victory against Arizona, Pittsburgh was forced to play with only five blueliners for an entire game.

So the team did what it has done all season – leaned heavily on Kris Letang.

Letang set a new season high with 31:09 minutes of ice time, chipped in with his career-high 43rd assist and helped the Pens snap a four-game losing streak.

In other words, it was just another game in the 2014-15 season for Letang.

The Pens coaching staff has relied on Letang all season, and with good reason. He’s not only been the team’s best defenseman, he may be the best defenseman in the entire National Hockey League.

Letang, 27, ranks second among all NHL defensemen with 54 points and tops all league blueliners with 43 helpers. He also ranks eighth in the NHL with 25:34 minutes played per game. Letang may find himself in Las Vegas this summer for the league’s annual awards as a Norris Trophy nominee as best NHL Defenseman.

With everything he’s done so far, it’s amazing to think that just over a year ago Letang suffered a stroke and his hockey future was clouded with uncertainty.

“I feel really good about this year, especially after last year with everything that happened,†Letang said. “All the work I put in this summer and the work the doctors did for me, it turned out that way. I was not expecting to have a year like that, but it all came together.â€

Due to Letang’s ability not only to return from the stroke, but to also become one of the most elite players at his position, he was nominated by the Pittsburgh Chapter of Professional Hockey Writers Association as the team’s Masterton Trophy nominee.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=759393&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

He's been a beast for us this year. Crazy to think he had a stroke a year ago.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Very glad to see Letang back in good health. It must have been a really, really scary situation for him and his family last season. The fact that he's thriving on the ice this year is a bonus.

Here's hoping Dupuis can be so lucky and make another go-round too.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
He's having a great year. Really happy for him. Scary to think he can be even better next year. His development has continued to this point and I dont see any signs that he has peaked.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Even the main board is on the Letang train. And next year it could very well be Maatta winning it.

With Letang/Maata/DP we have lots to be excited about on the backend. Maybe it's their turn to carry the team

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Congrats to Kris and Olli if they win, but I want no part of this trophy for our players after that.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Ah yes, the "who had the worst injury/saddest thing happen to them" award. I kind of hate this one since you never want anyone to actually be in a position to win it. Oh well, it's better than the Mark Messier Lumpy-Headed Elbowing Award for Messierocity.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
Ah yes, the "who had the worst injury/saddest thing happen to them" award. I kind of hate this one since you never want anyone to actually be in a position to win it. Oh well, it's better than the Mark Messier Lumpy-Headed Elbowing Award for Messierocity.

Not always-Jaromir Jagr won it last year, for some odd reason

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He'll win it and they'll nominate Maatta next season... and probably someone else after that with a legitimate shot at it. What's the record for Mastertons in a row?

Not always-Jaromir Jagr won it last year, for some odd reason

Moore won it, Jagr was nominated for being old.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
He'll win it and they'll nominate Maatta next season... and probably someone else after that with a legitimate shot at it. What's the record for Mastertons in a row?

If Dupuis comes back, he'll be the one nominated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad