Letang on the wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Has the idea of Letang converting to wing ever come up?

Seeing Burns' transition in San Jose makes me wonder if Letang would be capable of making the same switch. Letang's athleticism and physical attributes would be a perfect mold for a great winger in my eyes. He's got the speed and offensive awareness to play up front, and the move would give him less defensive responsibility and free up a spot on our back end.

Thoughts?

(Be gentle)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't necessarily think it's a 'bad' idea. It just isn't going to happen. Of course, I also don't think it's a good idea.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
A guy two games back from injury who is a few months removed from being a NORRIS finalist and under very strong consideration to make the deepest Olympic team at his position moving to the wing.

Just because it turned Engelland into a perrenial first line scoring threat doesn't mean it works for everyone.
A big BIG NO on my side. But I'll give you credit for thinking out of the box?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Burns' is actually a natural forward, so it kinda made sense to move him from defense. Letang is fine as a defenseman.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He's talented enough that I'm sure he'd be effective there, but he brings too much value to us as a defenseman for it to make sense.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Letang isn't Brent Burns where he's meh at forward and meh at defense, he's a solid defenseman that will get better and his offense is good enough to be top 5 in the league for defense.

I think a bit of Letang's effectiveness offensively comes because at times, he's out there with Sid and Geno, he's just that much harder to contain when teams have to defend Malkin, Crosby, Kunitz, Neal, Dupuis...and then him as well. When Letang comes in flying and one of those guys are trailing him, teams have a tough time trying to decide who to put two defenders on, etc. Just what I've seen at times.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Has the idea of Letang converting to wing ever come up?

Seeing Burns' transition in San Jose makes me wonder if Letang would be capable of making the same switch. Letang's athleticism and physical attributes would be a perfect mold for a great winger in my eyes. He's got the speed and offensive awareness to play up front, and the move would give him less defensive responsibility and free up a spot on our back end.

Thoughts?

(Be gentle)

God no. And here's why:

- Burns played a lot of wing in the past, such as in junior, in his younger years as a pro, and even on a line with Perry & Getzlaf in the WJCs. This is not a new position for him.

- although he's a pretty good defenseman, he's not a GREAT/Norris type Dman like Letang, so there's not as much of a loss there. Best case scenario, and it's a huge IF, even if Letang were to make a successful transition to wing (i.e. the equivalent of a PPG Dman should at least be a PPG forward, which may be a pipe dream), we don't have anyone in the organization who is ready (yet anyway) to be his heir as a #1 Dman on the blueline.

- I could probably come up with several more reasons, but those are enough to completely make this a non-consideration. Apples to Oranges, and not at all a good fit or strategy for us.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
He's not a 7 million dollar defenseman & most definitely not a 7 million dollar winger.

You are under the assumption that the organization feels winger is a source of weakness for this team & they don't. Shero/Bylsma see no problem with 8 defensmen on the roster & rotating bad players up front.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
He's not a winger. He's played there like once in his 7 or 8 year career so far and played D in junior for years before that. He has nowhere near the experience Burns has at playing wing.

Even if he could do it, he isn't a 7.2 million dollar winger. He may not be a 7.2 million dollar D-Man either, but he's probably a lot closer to being worth that as a D-Man than he would be as a winger.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No need to discuss this. Anyone who has played the game realizes offensive minded d-men do not just know how to play wing all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad