News Article: Letang is a Beast

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hoping Letang rubs off on a lot of the young defensemen in the next couple years. He's always mentioned as being one of the top 5 fitness/gym freaks in the league and after reading in-depth stuff like that, it's easy to see why. I got tired reading it...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Guy's a physical freak. There's no doubt about that. I just hope he gets better between the ears this year. I think the calming presence of Scuderi and the need for a mentor for Despres will do wonders for him.

WhoDaresWins

Nov 9, 2008
Pittsburgh
He'd be more likable if he wasn't such a d-bag.
What did he do to piss you off? I've met him more than once and he's a nice guy. He's very private and now he's spending all his time with his family. Most people who have met him, including the ones who know him well, say nothing but good things about him.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I really can't wait to see him under Martin. I think Martin will give him the good habits he needs to take the next step. IMO those little tweaks will take him from being very good to great.

Same goes for Sid defensively. I think he runs around a lot and gets caught up casing more than he should. I like that he plays the full 200' of the ice but some fine tuning will do a world of good. That little bit of structure and poise in the defensive zone will help him not waste energy and will also free him up offensively a little more.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
What did he do to piss you off? I've met him more than once and he's a nice guy. He's very private and now he's spending all his time with his family. Most people who have met him, including the ones who know him well, say nothing but good things about him.

He just comes off as one. Maybe he just hates the media.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Guy's a physical freak. There's no doubt about that. I just hope he gets better between the ears this year. I think the calming presence of Scuderi and the need for a mentor for Despres will do wonders for him.

Then you got Martin aswell. Letang might turn into a complete beast and win several Norris's. Then again for that contract, he better!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Then you got Martin aswell. Letang might turn into a complete beast and win several Norris's. Then again for that contract, he better!

How many has Weber won with the contract he's had?

I don't care if he doesn't win the Norris, it's a joke of an award these days anyway. If Letang can put up 45-50pts and be an absolute beast in his own end, he's worth every penny. My biggest concerns with him was the lapses in his defensive game. If he can be a guy that can shut down some of the best guys or go up against him and be reliable, he's worth that contract.

He needs to be that good. He has the skill set and the talent to be.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is the style of training I've done for the last 2 years and every time I watch his workouts I'm just astonished. It's beyond ridiculous. He explodes at such a high level that very few can match. I know he's a professional athlete, but I can almost guarantee you very few can get in the gym and do what he does. It's ridiculous. The guy is a freak of nature.

If he could figure out the mental part of the game... we have a one of the best dmen in the league on our team. But he HAS to play smarter.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
no doubt Letang is a freak of nature. Equally impressive to me is that his recovery is such that he is working out 1-2x a day with that intensity. Certainly they vary what gets hit, but your nutrition has to be spot on to not over train.

on totally different tangent, anyone hear whom Beau is training with this summer?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is the style of training I've done for the last 2 years and every time I watch his workouts I'm just astonished. It's beyond ridiculous. He explodes at such a high level that very few can match. I know he's a professional athlete, but I can almost guarantee you very few can get in the gym and do what he does. It's ridiculous. The guy is a freak of nature.

If he could figure out the mental part of the game... we have a one of the best dmen in the league on our team. But he HAS to play smarter.

Have you tried that Jacob's Ladder? Thing looks insane, haha.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Have you tried that Jacob's Ladder? Thing looks insane, haha.

I actually think that's one of the easier things he's doing. But at that pace... it just becomes absurd. So many people would fall right off or not be able to maintain that length of top speed.

I've been on it a lot. I'm going to have to try running on it like that and see what happens. I doubt it will be good. :laugh:

What surprises me is his back strength/upper body explosiveness. If he put half the dedication into his mental game, we'd be sitting on a gem.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I actually think that's one of the easier things he's doing. But at that pace... it just becomes absurd. So many people would fall right off or not be able to maintain that length of top speed.

I've been on it a lot. I'm going to have to try running on it like that and see what happens. I doubt it will be good. :laugh:

What surprises me is his back strength/upper body explosiveness. If he put half the dedication into his mental game, we'd be sitting on a gem.

But that's the thing. He does spend quite a bit of time reviewing tape and trying to improve weaker points in his game.

I think he's just an idiot occasionally.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
I wasn't talking about these videos...Just in general...

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who has met or known Letang personally who has said he was anything but a great guy. Here is just one example of a twitter reply to the workout video:

MN Hockey Camps
@mnhockeycamps
This young man is one of my favorite athletes/draft picks as a player and person Letang Uses Grueling Summer Workout penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?…
4:06 p.m. Thu, Aug 22
1 Retweet

WhoDaresWins

Nov 9, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who has met or known Letang personally who has said he was anything but a great guy. Here is just one example of a twitter reply to the workout video:

MN Hockey Camps
@mnhockeycamps
This young man is one of my favorite athletes/draft picks as a player and person Letang Uses Grueling Summer Workout penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?…
4:06 p.m. Thu, Aug 22
1 Retweet

That's very true. And other than with Rossi, I've never gotten the impression that he hates the media. His interviews with Madden are always good. Sean Conboy wrote about him for Pittsburgh Magazine and said he was humble. Tanger is quiet and very private. At times there might be a disconnect during spoken interviews while he's translating in his head. Maybe people see that as something other than what it is.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
But that's the thing. He does spend quite a bit of time reviewing tape and trying to improve weaker points in his game.

I think he's just an idiot occasionally.

Alas, we may get the young man a cognitive dissonance coach who will help him decide instantaneously if he should pinch in or drop back and actually contribute to the defense at least occasionally.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Hey guys, not where sure to put this. Non-pens fan curious what your pairings, pk and pp will look like for dmen. Thanks in advanced for the info.

Last edited:

khaoskennedy

Aug 6, 2010
Western, PA
Hey guys, not sure to put this. Non-pens fan curious what your pairings, pk and pp will look like for dmen. Thanks in advanced for the info.

assuming we do trade Niskanen

Scuderi Letang
Orpik Martin
Despres Bortuzzo/Engelland

PP
would prob have Letang on 1st unit unless he's terrible there, Martin on 2nd unit. Possibly Despres on 2nd unit at times

PK
some combination of our top 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad