Value of: Letang for J. Faulk as basis

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012
Top pairing RHD. Both with offensive potential. Leave more to be desired defensively and more rounded. Is this a realistic option for both teams moving forward. Change of scenario could benefit both players.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As a Pens fan, I wouldn't do it. Even if you overlook their skillsets, just the contracts alone would prevent it from making sense. Sure you save 2.42m a year... but Faulk is a UFA in 2 years.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Why would you not do it? I feel like this base is not too far off. Carolina Obviously adds.

Letang is better than Faulk and as we are contenders we generally should keep the better player. So even with a plus we still probably don’t become a better team even if the trade was fair value.

It is possible that a deal with more parts makes us better as a whole but that gets even more unrealistic of happening.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why would you not do it? I feel like this base is not too far off. Carolina Obviously adds.

The add won't matter, because at no point would Carolina add enough to make it worth it to Pittsburgh. Value doesn't matter given where Pittsburgh is at with their window, as it's all about the on ice product. If you were talking Slavin, that would change things, but you're not for obvious reasons.

With Faulk, contracts is the easiest thing to point to (term, not AAV). But even just looking at the players, Letang is the better player. Nothing against Faulk (who I'd love to have), but he's not going to anchor the blueline. Nor can he even fill the minutes that Letang plays (ES/PK/PP).

Then there's the production aspect. Faulk over the last 3 years has 105 pts in 215 RS games. Over that same span (last 3 seasons), Letang has 149 points in 191 RS games. Again I'd love to have the guy as he's a better version of Schultz and can push the pace and transition the puck and he's on a great contract. But he too is a flawed player.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
This Canes fan wants no part of Letang. He might be one of the only top-pair D in the league worse than Faulk in transition. From the Playoff games I watched he was absolutely terrible defensively - I’m guessing that’s why his name is popping up here. Canes don’t need to spend an extra $3 million a year for an older player in a lateral move.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This Canes fan wants no part of Letang. He might be one of the only top-pair D in the league worse than Faulk in transition. From the Playoff games I watched he was absolutely terrible defensively - I’m guessing that’s why his name is popping up here. Canes don’t need to spend an extra $3 million a year for an older player in a lateral move.

Apparently Carolina obviously adds in this deal, too :rolleyes:

Reactions: Unsustainable

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Letang is great in transition. This comment is way off base.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Letang is great in transition. This comment is way off base.

Sorry I should be more specific as I think he is great in offensive transition (again I’m just going on my viewings). Solely defending in transition. Based completely off my own viewing Letang gets burned or overpowered in transition badly far too often. Reminds me a lot of Faulk.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Letang is extremely over rated, and that is being kind.
Faulk isn't a dynamic player either, but he is cheaper, younger and on a better deal.
Carolina hangs up the phone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait what. This is one of the rare trades that doesn't make sense for either team. Just weird.

Letang doesn't fit the age of the Canes core and the Penguins downgrade from Letang to Faulk. Both teams say no.

Letang is extremely over rated, and that is being kind.
Faulk isn't a dynamic player either, but he is cheaper, younger and on a better deal.
Carolina hangs up the phone.

"On a better deal"

He's a free agent in like 2 years.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Wait what. This is one of the rare trades that doesn't make sense for either team. Just weird.

Letang doesn't fit the age of the Canes core and the Penguins downgrade from Letang to Faulk. Both teams say no.

"On a better deal"

Exactly.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

I love how you purposely edited his/her post to remove their reason for not doing the trade... Then proceed to ask why they wouldn't do the trade...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

"On a better deal"

It would be a positive if Letang was a free agent in 2 years.

Reactions: SvechniCanesCup2019

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

That's not a good thing. With the way salaries are increasing and the lack of success Carolina has had over the years, you'll soon be paying more for Faulk then we are for Letang - and that's if he stays.

I really doubt Faulk gets anything near $7.25M through 2022.

I think his next deal (whether that's in Carolina or elsewhere) will be damn close to the 7m mark, if it's not above it. Theres' a lot of high end D who'll be FA's the summer before Faulk hits FA (at least as of now). Doughty, Karlsson, Myers, OEL, McDonagh, Stralman, Gardiner and Schmidt. And while all won't command top end salary, it will push the overall comparables up a lot from what they might be today. And that's not a good thing in terms of what it will get Faulk the following summer. Right now, 7-9m is the elite level. In June/July 2020, it's going to be 10-12m (whatever DD/EK set the bar at), and everyone else will land in that 7-9m range, at which point that will just be "top pair" money, and no longer "elite" money.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I love how you purposely edited his/her post to remove their reason for not doing the trade... Then proceed to ask why they wouldn't do the trade...

I did a ninja edit but didn't get it in there in time for their quote to pick it up. That's on me, not them.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sorry I should be more specific as I think he is great in offensive transition (again I’m just going on my viewings). Solely defending in transition. Based completely off my own viewing Letang gets burned or overpowered in transition badly far too often. Reminds me a lot of Faulk.

Letang's issues are his weird, out of the blue, brainfarts. When he's actually "on", he's actually good at defending the transition game because of his speed. He can keep up with any opposing skater coming down on him, and he's strong enough to rub them out along the boards.

Where Letang screws up is when he'll inexplicably take himself out of position well before the other team even transitions the puck (ie. the Kuznetsov goal in Game 5 where Letang skated over to the left side of the ice before the Caps defender had even started moving the puck up the ice).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad