Proposal: Letang for Callahan and Kreider (100% hypothetical)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Shake*

Letang, Bortuzzo for Callahan and Kreider, [assuming Callahan was signed to a good contract ahead of time]?

Last edited by a moderator:

penguins2946*

That's simply too big of a deal to make in your division. The Pens would never trade Letang in the division, and if Callahan would be interested in playing here, I'd just wait until FA to sign him instead of giving up legit assets for him.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Isn't Callahan seeking 7 yrs $42m? No thanks. Love the guy, but the Pens need high end talent, not another try hard.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You cannot trade BOTH of our right handed Dmen.

You could trade a roster player and a prospect who was far away from making our team (Samuelsson, Dumoulin, Harrington, even Pouliot) and one of our roster players; but Bortuzzo is the guy who would replace Letang; just the same way Despres is the guy who would replace Orpik. That would sap our depth for this year, which is not a smart move, and we know Shero (thankfully) wouldn't do that.

Value-wise, though, I don't think we need to add. Callahan is a great player, but his value isn't nearly the same as Letang's. Kreider does bridge the gap significantly, and maybe completely. So I don't see why we would need to add much, if anything. Maybe a 3rd rounder or a B-level prospect (Samuelsson, Kuhnhackl, etc.), but definitely not more than that.

But that package of Letang + 3rd and/or B-level prospect for a signed Callahan (only if the salary was reasonable) and Kris Kreider would be along the lines of what I would consider both good value and a good hockey trade for Pittsburgh. I do have reservations, however, of giving Callahan anywhere north of $5million (aka James Neal money), but I would do it if Kreider was included because he's still cheap, and ONLY IF there was NOT a a full NTC. Because there would come a time, 2-3 years from now, when we would have guys like Neal/Arichibald/Megna/Bennett/Kreider/Maatta who would all have to be signed/re-signed/ready to play, and when Callahan's game may start to decline. If we didn't have an out and we gave him 7 years, we could get screwed down the road in a serious way.

But minus Bortuzzo, and with something a bit less in his place, it's actually a great proposal: a rare thing on these boards and it's a new idea (not a regurgitation of Kuelmin/Stewart/etc.), and a really solid proposal all around. :handclap:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The value isn't too off the wall (we wouldn't add Bortuzzo -- not sure what the OP added that into his post but not the title), but either way Glenn Sather is not going to trade Callahan and Kreider to any of his biggest rivals, particularly Pittsburgh, Philly or NJ. End of trade idea.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The value isn't too off the wall (we wouldn't add Bortuzzo -- not sure what the OP added that into his post but not the title), but either way Glenn Sather is not going to trade Callahan and Kreider to any of his biggest rivals, particularly Pittsburgh, Philly or NJ. End of trade idea.

you think the Rangers are the side that turns this down? Letang for Kreider and 2 months of Callahan is absolutely brutal.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
you think the Rangers are the side that turns this down? Letang for Kreider and 2 months of Callahan is absolutely brutal.

The assumption being made was that he would be under a new contract. Re-edited the OP to make that clear so everyone stops asking "is this a rumor". I think Callahan and Kreider are two good players (one with substantial upside) that most GMs would not trade to a division rival. And to validate your point there's no way SHero would trade Letang to a division rival either. In summation, it's a bad proposal.

Master Shake*

Zubov?
Tocchet?
Jagr?
Teams will trade with rivals if they think t will help their team

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
I'd love to have Kreider on this team but Callahan is going to get overpaid and I'd rather it not be by us.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We have a trade thread.. let's stick to it. We don't need a trade board type proposal because if we allow one, then we basically allow them all and become the trade and rumors board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad