Letang Appreciation Thread: Is It Safe Now?

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I hate to potentially jinx anything, especially considering the roller coster of a player that Letang has been throughout most of his career. However, the main boards kinda put into perspective just how much of a beast Tanger has been ever since Sulli has taken over as bench boss, with a ridiculous 23 points (8 of them goals) in his last 14 games! No matter how you look at it, that's insane production for a dman!

Now, I know that for the most part we've all been pretty caught up in Sid's resurgence, and for good reason! However, I think it would be dreadfully unfair to give "lesser" recognition to Tanger and just how spectacular he's been over the past couple of months as well. In light of how much hate he's gotten around here over the past year in particular (much of it understandable), I don't think it would be crazy to finally give some due credit to him at this point as well. In my opinion he's looking like the same Letang that was making a serious push for the Norris in 2013, had it not been for injuries. Here's to hoping he can stay healthy and just keep it up :)

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
It's safe until he's injured again or has a bad game. Although as you've said he seems to get ridden the hardest by this teams fans more than anywhere else.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
he was horrible Friday night, so it's not like he's permanently turned some mental corner.

While Sid and Geno are definitely the Pens' MVPs over an 82-game season, it seems pretty clear that, based on how the team is constructed, Letang is the most important player in any one individual game.

When he's at his best, Letang is one of the three-best defensemen in the league. Unlike others, I completely trust him in his own end.

His issues, other than health, of course, are all mental. Usually trying to do too much. Last night (FLA) he didn't do anything extraordinary (he was amazing in the game), he just did what he's very good at. He kept it fairly simply, made the correct reads, the right pinches, sneaked down deep when necessary. Night and day from Friday night.

I understand, and sometimes agree, with the thought process that says "TRADE LETANG!", but the issue is, you are never going to get what you need, which is basically "healthy Letang."

Sullivan has got more out of players like Hornqvist and Crosby since he took over. I think he'll get more out of Malkin once Malkin is healthy. I mean, realistically, he's also squeezed blood out of the Kunitz stone.

I have faith that Letang can and will be similar. We already saw it this weekend. He had a bad game and followed it up with a great one. That's what a coach is supposed to do.

I don't think it's safe to say he's amazing! because we just saw the kind of game that frustrates everyone, but I think it's possible we get there by the end of this season.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, it's sometimes not fair but inevitable. That's just how it is when you have an injury prone player.
It's not any more unfair than coming on the day after Letang played a great game to try and shame the people for having legitimate reasons for wanting to trade Letang.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Trade Letang ASAP, his trade value is nearing it's peak. Or hold onto him and hear "wish we had moved him when we could have" six to eight months down the road.

You trade him if you want to try and win another cup with Sid and Geno. Or you keep all three and pretend you have a shot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd still see what teams would offer for him, and if the deal was there, I'd move him. It was never his top-level play that worried me, it was his ups and downs, and injury history. /shrug

He's playing like a god damn fiend though. Fun to watch.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
He played a hell of a game last night, not so well on Friday. Still a risky defenseman but by far our best and we need him to be healthy. I know it's going to be hard to find but if JR can find a solid # 2 or 3 guy who is defensively responsible i love our d going forward with Dumo, Maatta and Pouliot. Move Cole and Lovejoy

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Letang's trade value will never align to what he brings to this team because other teams are well aware of his injury problems. We're not going to out-smart anyone by moving him, we're just going to create a gigantic ****ing black hole in his wake.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Letang is what he is.

Top 5 when at his best... but it comes with a lot of "what the **** is he thinking?" games. He can surely clean his game up if properly coached... poor guy never was at the NHL level.

He is nearing 30 so I would expect him to get smarter with experience. However, he relies VERY much on his athleticism. If he doesn't smarten up, he will fade quickly.

That being said, I love Tanger and hope he is a Pen for.life.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Those are some truly insane numbers. Looks like a different player under Sullivan.

Sort of a pattern here.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Letang is what he is.

Top 5 when at his best... but it comes with a lot of "what the **** is he thinking?" games. He can surely clean his game up if properly coached... poor guy never was at the NHL level.

He is nearing 30 so I would expect him to get smarter with experience. However, he relies VERY much on his athleticism. If he doesn't smarten up, he will fade quickly.

That being said, I love Tanger and hope he is a Pen for.life.
There's enough good to out weigh the bad though and you always know he'll give 120%.

The only real sticker with Letang is his contract.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I'm of the consensus that his last concussion realigned his brain.

It's all very Flintstoney.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think people make too much of his propensity for bad decisions with the puck. Sure he has a decent amount of games with gaffes, but even in those games he usually comes out as a net positive because he's so absurdly talented that he'll make mistakes and immediately cover up for them.

He's a high risk high reward type of player. That didn't suit Johnston's safe style, but it 110% suits Sullivan's style. And it seems like Sullivan is working to limit Letang's idiocy, with mostly positive results so far. I think Sully is exactly the kind of coach Letang needs.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I still don't think people understand what injury prone means. Letang isn't injury prone for sake of players using his head as a soccer ball.

Take away those cheap hits and he's a steady top 5 player in the league with warts.

Letang has value, and it's not like other GM's don't see/see first hand, what was being done to him.

That stuff was happening "because the player he is."

No different then what the Pens did for years. (target other teams best defenders, less the head shots)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tangers last night was a superstar. His ebb and flow of consistency is still an issue. It's all coachable, too. He makes piss poor decisions trying to be a superstar instead of just making the right play and letting his athleticism take over. Sound familiar? Fleury used to have the same problem.

I hate calling Letang "stupid" but he's passionate and wants to be a big part of the team. That hurts the team on some nights and helps them on others. For as bad as he was Friday, he was 1094301491x better on Saturday and was 1/2 of the reason we even won.

The only negative I have about Letang is his ability to watch the play instead of defend his body from taking hits. I wish he'd sit down with Lidstrom and talk about preserving his body.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Tangers last night was a superstar. His ebb and flow of consistency is still an issue. It's all coachable, too. He makes piss poor decisions trying to be a superstar instead of just making the right play and letting his athleticism take over. Sound familiar? Fleury used to have the same problem.

I hate calling Letang "stupid" but he's passionate and wants to be a big part of the team. That hurts the team on some nights and helps them on others. For as bad as he was Friday, he was 1094301491x better on Saturday and was 1/2 of the reason we even won.

The only negative I have about Letang is his ability to watch the play instead of defend his body from taking hits. I wish he'd sit down with Lidstrom and talk about preserving his body.

I think part of what makes Letang so good is his willingness to throw his body in the line of fire to make plays. His compete level is off the charts, and like Sid because they both have that element it is unfortunately going to sometimes get them in injury trouble since their bodies aren't equipped to take that kind of punishment. Sid has learned to be smarter about it so it's not impossible to do but Sid has also had to deal with ******** injuries than Tanger.

Geno has that incredible compete level too but he's bigger and can absorb hits easier for the most part.

You can say a lot of things about our stars but you can't ever question their heart. We have three of the hardest working superstars in the league and I hope people appreciate that. Not every star player is like the ones we have.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Trade Letang ASAP, his trade value is nearing it's peak. Or hold onto him and hear "wish we had moved him when we could have" six to eight months down the road.

You trade him if you want to try and win another cup with Sid and Geno. Or you keep all three and pretend you have a shot.

change Letang's name with MAF's and I totally agree...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Letang's issues are 100% between the ears. As soon as he has to stop relying on instinct/talent/athleticism and has to think the game, he's ****ed. That, and the injury thing.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I agree with a lot of this. I'd say Letang is an emotional player, as is others on the team, and they let that get the better of them.

Talking to a guy like Lidstrom would be good, but he never had to think the game at Letangs speed. Basically, you can't take all the hits out of the game that can effect him. Maybe a good talk with Coffey who played just as long but at a higher faster pace like him.

In the end, it comes down to Letang realizing the plays that are worth the risk and the ones that don't. I just don't think Letang has a choice in the majority of hits. Those hits that cost him were more on the morality of the opposing player to his safety. Pacioretty, Rinaldo and Doan didn't put Letang's well being first at all. Two were totally intentional. Rinaldo acting how he was after is total proof he is scum.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
His +/- is probably better if he isn't paired with Cole for the first month of the season.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
He's has consistently been one one of the most underrated players on this team. Offensively he is probably right behind Karlsson.

He'll never be great defensively. Get over it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sullivan provided a rare glimpse into his relationship with Letang. I found his answer to be quite interesting.

“Tanger and I just talked about taking what the game gives you and not forcing plays that aren’t there,” Sullivan said. “Not forcing himself into the rush when an opportunity doesn’t present itself. He’s a special player in my mind. He can really skate. He can defend. He helps us get out of our end zone. He logs tons of minutes. He’s a difference-maker. Sometimes when he’s not at his best, I think he forces the game, chases it a little bit, instead of allowing it to come to him. That’s the conversation I’ve had with him. It’s a constant dialogue between him and I. I’m trying to keep him in check as far as being calculating. I think he’s picking his spots. Because of that, he’s playing a more efficient game. You can see the impact that he has on our team when he’s in the lineup. He’s put a stretch of work together that’s really helped us climb back into (playoff position).”

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/02/07/crosby-wills-penguins-to-ot-win-in-florida/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad