Speculation: Let´s buy arena/club all over the Europe

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There can be an intresting strategy of luring euro clubs to KHL in future.

Russian investors, close to KHL, bought Hartwall Arena in Helsinki and announced Jokerit joining KHL in 14/15.

One of investors, Rotenberg said: "We are going to buy arenas all over the Europe, the same "mechanism" as in Hartwall/Jokerit case" ... "We aquired Hartwall/Jokerit to join KHL"

Any idea of (big) arenas/clubs being in financial troubles? I think Germany is no.1 in the playbook, then Finland and maybe others (Switzerland or Sweden)

Just speculation, you know.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Mods could move this to expansion thread so it doesnt clog up the forum.

why???

I am not mod, but I think following ...

Someone created Jokerit thread a few days back, was moved. Why can Medvescak have own thread and Jokerit not? I know nothing about Jokerit, would be great to find out more in Jokerit thread, not to follow 20-30 pages in general expansion thread.

The same here, with this strategy. It is better to have separate thread for it. We can collect rumours/infos about arenas/clubs ... not to easy to do it in general thread.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
why???

I am not mod, but I think following ...

Someone created Jokerit thread a few days back, was moved. Why can Medvescak have own thread and Jokerit not? I know nothing about Jokerit, would be great to find out more in Jokerit thread, not to follow 20-30 pages in general expansion thread.

The same here, with this strategy. It is better to have separate thread for it. We can collect rumours/infos about arenas/clubs ... not to easy to do it in general thread.

Because Jokerit joins in 2014/2015 season.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Rather build new arenas in Russia.
yep, they will do it as well, but this "buying arena strategy" can work in Europe. Especially if Europe and its hockey is a economical mess.

Because Jokerit joins in 2014/2015 season.

Ok, but I would like to know how Jokerit plays in SM-Liiga in 13/14, what players are there, who of them can play in KHL next season, who is leaving, what juniors are there, how fans reacts to KHL joining, etc. Why can not we dicuss this whole year? Sorry for OT

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
yep, they will do it as well, but this "buying arena strategy" can work in Europe. Especially if Europe and its hockey is a economical mess.
How does buying unprofitable arenas benefit the buyer?

Ok, but I would like to know how Jokerit plays in SM-Liiga in 13/14, what players are there, who of them can play in KHL next season, who is leaving, what juniors are there, how fans reacts to KHL joining, etc. Why can not we dicuss this whole year? Sorry for OT
I would say that about half of the team will change and half will stay. From the current roster at least Väänänen, Eronen, Moses, Teräväinen and a few others are KHL level players.

Sucro

Rhymesayers Fanboy
May 11, 2013
Vienna
Is this company Arena Events only an instrument of expansion or they really want to make some profit?
Is there any chance that Rotenbergs will buy O2 Prague and Arena Zabreb, so Lev and Medvescak will be able to play there whole season?
What about Khodynka after 2016?

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Is this company Arena Events only an instrument of expansion or they really want to make some profit?
Is there any chance that Rotenbergs will buy O2 Prague and Arena Zabreg, so Lev and Medvescak will be able to play there whole season?
What about Khodynka after 2016?

Good questions, I dont know answers. I can speculate only. I can see Arena Events as company wanting to make profit form buying arenas. On the other hand, if there is possible to aquire euro club (join KHL), so why not? O2 in Prague was the 1st arena came to my mind.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Most multipurpose arenas in Germany belong to American companies. Don't know if they really want to do business with Russians. That could be a problem. For example Hamburg Freezers and Eisbären Berlin (and both their big arenas) and also the arena in Cologne belong to Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) (the company also is owner of LA Kings (NHL), LA Galaxy (MLS), Houston Dynamo (MLS) etc. and is owner of Staples Center in Los Angeles etc etc.

But there were rumours that AEG wanted to sell Berlin and Hamburg arenas and clubs in recent years.

PS:

Maybe KHL can get Berlin. They are not very popular in Germany because the club is originally from Eastern Germany and it was the official team of the Stasi (State Security) (official name was SG Dynamo Berlin) + the league is boring with all the titles for Berlin. Not few fans would be happy see them leave.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Most multipurpose arenas in Germany belong to American companies. Don't know if they really want to do business with Russians. That could be a problem. For example Hamburg Freezers and Eisbären Berlin (and both their big arenas) and also the arena in Cologne belong to Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) (the company also is owner of LA Kings (NHL), LA Galaxy (MLS), Houston Dynamo (MLS) etc. and is owner of Staples Center in Los Angeles etc etc.

But there were rumours that AEG wanted to sell Berlin and Hamburg arenas and clubs in recent years.

Lol,why not? Its not cold war anymore,you know. If they think the price is right they will probably sell it.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Lol,why not? Its not cold war anymore,you know. If they think the price is right they will probably sell it.

Well. Who knows?! Russians could earn quite a lot of money with buying these arenas. O2 World in Berlin has Eisbären (DEL), Alba (BBL) and concerts while Hamburg O2 Arena has Freezers (DEL), HSV (Handball) and concerts and Cologne Arena has Haie (DEL), Gummersbach (Handball) and concerts. :)

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Well. Who knows?! Russians could earn quite a lot of money with buying these arenas. O2 World in Berlin has Eisbären (DEL), Alba (BBL) and concerts while Hamburg O2 Arena has Freezers (DEL), HSV (Handball) and concerts and Cologne Arena has Haie (DEL), Gummersbach (Handball) and concerts. :)

All im saying is buisnesmen dont have nationality,they have interests.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

PS:

Maybe KHL can get Berlin. They are not very popular in Germany because the club is originally from Eastern Germany and it was the official team of the Stasi (State Security) (official name was SG Dynamo Berlin) + the league is boring with all the titles for Berlin. Not few fans would be happy see them leave.

I agree with BalticWarrior about bussiness/nationality.

AEG as company does not care about KHL-NHL rivarly... if KHL was interesting for AEG (make profit), AEG would buy KHL team. Believe me.

Americans and Russians always agree each other if bussiness is good for both. If the price for O2 in Berlin is good for AEG, the deal can happen.

Bold part is very important and interesting thing ....

Would be great if you inform us about rumours in future. Will be fun to follow it.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Last news was in March that Anschutz group wanted to sell the whole AEG package for 10 bio $ but nobody wanted to pay more than 7 bio $. But if some Russian wants KHL to expend... AEG also owns Manchester Arena and the O2 in London. :naughty:

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
I don't see any arena in Sweden being sold in the nearest future. AEG has leased the Stockholm Globe Arenas (that's actually the name of their property company), and the new flag ship - Tele2 Arena - is just about to open. It's not for sale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad