Lester B. Pearson Award -> Ted Lindsay Award

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Cool idea, though there could be some... cognitive dissonance when some guys win it. "Henrik Sedin wins the Ted Lindsay trophy" just sounds so wrong. No offense to Sedin, but, y'know...

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
A name change I actually support, surprisingly. For the reason listed above (hockey player > politician)..

TheHockeyFile

Apr 13, 2010
thehockeyfile.blogspot.com
Pearson didn't give the trophy to the league. Apples and oranges.

It's the same concept. You're taking something that already has meaning and has been well established and throwing it all away. All because the "new fans" the NHL wants has no idea who Lester Bowles Pearson is.

I might give the players a pass because the Pearson is a relatively minor award and it's the players' award, but if this continues on with the Norris, the Adams, the Ross, etc. that'll really make me upset.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I like the change. Though Pearson was a great guy who I don't mind having a trophy named over, a great hockey player like Lindsay who helped the NHL players so much just makes more sense and is likely more deserving of a hockey award.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
It's the same concept. You're taking something that already has meaning and has been well established and throwing it all away. All because the "new fans" the NHL wants has no idea who Lester Bowles Pearson is.

I might give the players a pass because the Pearson is a relatively minor award and it's the players' award, but if this continues on with the Norris, the Adams, the Ross, etc. that'll really make me upset.

There is a big, big difference from "estabilished since 1971" and estabilished since the days when hockey really began in Canada. Your talking about the most significant trophy in the sport vs one of far lesser significance. It's different.

It won't likely continue changing because this was a players award, and the other awards you mention are guys that actually really contributed to the game, which I don't think Pearson really did (correct me if i'm wrong- maybe that's something about him I just am not aware of)

TheHockeyFile

Apr 13, 2010
I would stop watching the NHL if they did that. I would I would I would and I would just stick to junior hockey. That would be the biggest travesty ever.

That's the way I feel about this. There's no reason to change the name of the award- Lester B. Pearson, the Canadian Prime Minister who brokered the peace deal in the Suez Crisis (which he won a Nobel Prize for) is still an honoured name. The only reason to change the name is if the name fell into disgrace which it hasn't.

This whole move to change the names of trophies wreaks of marketing. "These new fans don't know who Pearson, James Norris, Art Ross, etc. are. Those names are stale. Let's change the names and 'reboot' them so we can market them better!". I'll give the NHL this much- at least we're not discussing changing the names to generic titles like "MVP", "Coach the Year", "Best Defenceman", etc. like the league did with the conferences and the divisions. That would be truly upsetting.

TheHockeyFile

Apr 13, 2010
There is a big, big difference from "estabilished since 1971" and estabilished since the days when hockey really began in Canada. Your talking about the most significant trophy in the sport vs one of far lesser significance. It's different.

It won't likely continue changing because this was a players award, and the other awards you mention are guys that actually really contributed to the game, which I don't think Pearson really did (correct me if i'm wrong- maybe that's something about him I just am not aware of)

I agree the impact of the name change won't be that big because the award isn't significant, but it's still the same idea. I fear this move will open the door to changing the names of the other awards- if we can change the name of the Pearson, why not the Ross or the Adams, the Jennings or the Masterton? That's why we need to speak up now to avoid that from happening.

As for Pearson, he was a hockey player and coach- just not one of significance.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

Gimme a break with the "new fans" crap. If you want to start with "The league is just trying to keep casual/new fans interested" and work backwards from there when any changes are made to anything, you'll see whatever you want to see.

I'm not going to defend my point of view against such silliness.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I agree the impact of the name change won't be that big because the award isn't significant, but it's still the same idea. I fear this move will open the door to changing the names of the other awards- if we can change the name of the Pearson, why not the Ross or the Adams, the Jennings or the Masterton? That's why we need to speak up now to avoid that from happening.

As for Pearson, he was a hockey player and coach- just not one of significance.

The Pearson Award is controlled by the NHLPA, not the league. It's is entirely separate from the Norris, Vezina, Hart, ect. This has nothing to do with marketing or new fans. If the NHL decides to change the names of the trophy's that they hand out (like the ones I listed), then yes it will likely be just another one of their bush league marketing ploys. But this isn't the case here.

TheHockeyFile

Apr 13, 2010
Gimme a break with the "new fans" crap. If you want to start with "The league is just trying to keep casual/new fans interested" and work backwards from there when any changes are made to anything, you'll see whatever you want to see.

I'm not going to defend my point of view against such silliness.

Not everyone who contests a change is curmudgeonly traditionalist who hates change regardless. I'm calling this for what it is- a marketing ploy. Furthermore, Gary Bettman's track record is to bend over backwards for the "new" fan at the expense of the loyal ones. I don't see how changing the names of the awards- which have meaning- is any different.

Please

Jun 9, 2008
Ontario
Since the award is strictly the PAs it makes sense to rename it in Lindsays honour. After all he pretty much started the players association

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
That's the way I feel about this. There's no reason to change the name of the award- Lester B. Pearson, the Canadian Prime Minister who brokered the peace deal in the Suez Crisis (which he won a Nobel Prize for) is still an honoured name.

And it is honored. Is the largest airport in Canada not named for him? Along with numerous other things? A 39 year old hockey trophy he had nothing to do with and very few people even care that much about is hardly a crime against the man.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Not everyone who contests a change is curmudgeonly traditionalist who hates change regardless. I'm calling this for what it is- a marketing ploy. Furthermore, Gary Bettman's track record is to bend over backwards for the "new" fan at the expense of the loyal ones. I don't see how changing the names of the awards- which have meaning- is any different.

Ah yes, the old "Let's name our trophy after a hockey player who retired 50 years ago and most young fans have never heard of" marketing ploy.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Who are these fools in the "NHLPA" probably know-nothing writers, I say! Probably never played the game in their lives! Just trying to appease the "Nuuu NHL" fans! Just doing "Buttman's" bidding, see!

Please. In addition to being an incredible player and competitor, Lindsay was a guy who put his neck out on the line for others and is one of the biggest reasons there is an NHLPA. He didn't need more money, but he saw something wasn't write and he stood up for it. Also, honoring the guy that was so dirty they needed to make "kneeing" a penalty is hardly in line with the "New NHL" now, is it? If they're going to name it after somebody it's a damn good choice.

And bottom line, it's THEIR trophy. It's their decision. They don't have to answer to me or anybody else outside their PA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad