Lesser known quality young goalies (AHL, CHL, NCAA, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've been cruising the AHL stats and noticed some goalies putting up some solid numbers but with little fanfare. Guys like Lawson, MacDonald and Dubielewicz are all putting up good numbers but I'm not hearing much about them. Do any of these guys have NHL upside? Are there any other lesser known goalies in the AHL, CHL, NCAA or other areas that teams should be looking at as possible NHL goalies? Thanks for any input.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Mike Ayers at the University of New Hampshire put up great numbers last year. He led his team to the championships last year.

Scouts have been raving about Mike Brodeur since training camp. He is posting a 2.20GAA, and a 0.926 save percentage (which is good for 2nd in league, only behind the leader by 0.001 GAA)

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Teemu08 said:
Mike Ayers at the University of New Hampshire put up great numbers last year. He led his team to the championships last year.

Scouts have been raving about Mike Brodeur since training camp. He is posting a 2.20GAA, and a 0.926 save percentage (which is good for 2nd in league, only behind the leader by 0.001 GAA)

As much as I love Mike Ayers, he's struggling mightily right now. He's not putting up the kind of numbers that he was putting up last season. I'm just waiting for him to snap out of the slump.

The goaltender who will garner alot of interest from the NCAA ranks is Brown's Yann Danis. He's an undrafted senior, which means he could be a potential NHL FA acquisition come spring. He currently ranks near or at the top of the NCAA in virtually all goaltending categories.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Again will toss Sean Fields (BU) name into the mix as a very good, free agent goaltender.

I've liked Sean since his freshmen year and like Dannis there should be a war over him come April, although he is struggling this year which doesn't bode well.

X-SHARKIE

AHL, Dimitry Patzold of the Cleveland Barons, Him and Ehelechner are the Sharks top Goal tender prospects, amazing one nite, ugly the next, 20 years old, has to work on consistancy.
AHL, Seamus Kotyk of the Cleveland Barons, probally the better of the two but he doesnt have a NHL future most believe, he's 23 years old.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Oilers Chick said:
As much as I love Mike Ayers, he's struggling mightily right now. He's not putting up the kind of numbers that he was putting up last season. I'm just waiting for him to snap out of the slump.

The goaltender who will garner alot of interest from the NCAA ranks is Brown's Yann Danis. He's an undrafted senior, which means he could be a potential NHL FA acquisition come spring. He currently ranks near or at the top of the NCAA in virtually all goaltending categories.

Would Matt Zaba fall under this category? Or is it just way too early to tell how good he is?

Zaba is 6-3-2 with a 1.65GAA and .931SV% in his freshman year at Colorado College. He's an LA Kings 8th rd draft pick.

GlueleG

Mar 29, 2002
Brooklin, Ontario
Visit site
Peter Budaj - Hershey Bears

I havent seen him since his days in juniors... but he is putting up some nice numbers in Hershey & I believe will outshine Phil Sauve in the longrun.

Avery4Byng*

Kelly Guard with Kelowna (WHL). Plays behind a solid defense yet still faces 20-30 shots a game and hold his own very well. Has unreal numbers and has set the WHL shutout record for his career and I think has 8 already this year.

But I am sure someone will jump all over me for mentioning him.... :shakehead

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Dan LaCosta playing in Owen Sound in the OHL...will get drafted this year, but hasn't earned the respect he deserves, maybe getting lost in the small market place.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
Tom Lawson was a UHL MVP that was slow to come into the NHL spotlight (signed contract) because he suffered a major knee injury three years ago or so. Billington basically hand picked the guy from a league where pro goalies never really emerg. He's a very big goaltender with a quick glove hand. He's been an excellent suprise to date.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
The WHL has a few undrafted guys with big numbers - Guard, who Tray already mentioned (9 shutouts and 1.55 GAA in 39 games), Gerry Festa in Calgary (2.26 in 32 games), and Jeff Harvey in Everett (2.00 in 29 games with an expansion team in front of him.)

Hoffer

Dec 23, 2003
British Columbia
Guard/Lepp

I personally think Guard is a great goaltender, he covers the net exceptionally well. I also really like Josh Lepp, Guard's old backup in Kelowna. Lepp is in Seattle WHL now. Lepp played well the game I got to see him play, especially considering he doesn't have much of a team in front of him.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
AHL, Dimitry Patzold of the Cleveland Barons, Him and Ehelechner are the Sharks top Goal tender prospects, amazing one nite, ugly the next, 20 years old, has to work on consistancy.
AHL, Seamus Kotyk of the Cleveland Barons, probally the better of the two but he doesnt have a NHL future most believe, he's 23 years old.
Nolan Schaefer (Peter Schaefer of the Sens' brother) --- does he have a chance of making the NHL????

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Karl Goehring. Syracuse, CBJ property.

17 games played
2.36 GAA
9.24 SV%

Downside. 5'8 160. Freddy Brathwaite size. :D

Last year:
49 Games Played
2.67 GAA