Less Fights = Rise of penalties or vice versa?

Makorov

Minnesota Wild Fan
May 22, 2014
Unknown
Hey guys,

I have a a request for someone to make a chart. Since most of you are very smart and great at things like this here we go:

Is there a chart that we can make to prove or disapprove that the decline of fighting is leading to more penalties or mor specifically Game Misconduct penalties. It is a no brainer that dirty players now a days can pull this crap and they get what? A small ( to them ) fine and a slap on the wrist and they can continue.

Should we include ( which would be harder) lower levels like high school, college, ECHL, and CHL etc?

But in the older days of hockey, you had to deal with a much much larger goon chasing you down and IF..IF.. you were lucky.. you could still chew your food in the morning and not suck it through a straw.

The years we will take are 1980 - current. ( if you change it that's fine but tell me why because i'll be curious about it)

As for the penalties, I have sat here and thought it out and I can't seem to come to a conclusion on what to include, because even a simple slash may end up just a 2 min penalty, or in an extreme case slash means that player targeted a body part that could be a career ending/ life threatening thing.

I would either like helping seeing where to start with this project.. or if you think ( or have time) that it is easy then you may do the project.

I just want to see the result and show someone this because they posed the same question.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
There are more penalties due to the crackdown on hooking and slashing to the hands. Really has nothing to with fighting or the lack of fighting. If two guys really want to fight they can. But face masks are now generally the lack of fighting in lower levels of hockey has decreased the culture of fighting in the NHL.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There are more penalties due to the crackdown on hooking and slashing to the hands. Really has nothing to with fighting or the lack of fighting. If two guys really want to fight they can. But face masks are now generally the lack of fighting in lower levels of hockey has decreased the culture of fighting in the NHL.

Yeah, too many other changes in the rulebook enforcement priorities over the years to try and draw a correlation imo.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hey guys,

I have a a request for someone to make a chart. Since most of you are very smart and great at things like this here we go:

Is there a chart that we can make to prove or disapprove that the decline of fighting is leading to more penalties or mor specifically Game Misconduct penalties. It is a no brainer that dirty players now a days can pull this crap and they get what? A small ( to them ) fine and a slap on the wrist and they can continue.

Should we include ( which would be harder) lower levels like high school, college, ECHL, and CHL etc?

But in the older days of hockey, you had to deal with a much much larger goon chasing you down and IF..IF.. you were lucky.. you could still chew your food in the morning and not suck it through a straw.

The years we will take are 1980 - current. ( if you change it that's fine but tell me why because i'll be curious about it)

As for the penalties, I have sat here and thought it out and I can't seem to come to a conclusion on what to include, because even a simple slash may end up just a 2 min penalty, or in an extreme case slash means that player targeted a body part that could be a career ending/ life threatening thing.

I would either like helping seeing where to start with this project.. or if you think ( or have time) that it is easy then you may do the project.

I just want to see the result and show someone this because they posed the same question.
might want to post more in 4 years if you expect this kind of response...just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad