Confirmed with Link: Leslie to Vegas

KingsCup1214

Jun 4, 2015
Longtime reader, first time poster. . .Hi! Leslie hasn't played for ONT since December 27th, the last game before Matt Roy returned from injury. He has been passed on the depth chart this year by Walker, Roy, and Flakovsky. With Lintu, MacD, Subban, and Fantenberg also on roster, Blake doing Leslie a solid by letting him play somewhere. Not on ELC anymore so Leslie cannot be assigned to ECHL without accepting assignment.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Longtime reader, first time poster. . .Hi! Leslie hasn't played for ONT since December 27th, the last game before Matt Roy returned from injury. He has been passed on the depth chart this year by Walker, Roy, and Flakovsky. With Lintu, MacD, Subban, and Fantenberg also on roster, Blake doing Leslie a solid by letting him play somewhere. Not on ELC anymore so Leslie cannot be assigned to ECHL without accepting assignment.

Looks like he has already been assigned to VGK's AHL affiliate.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Honestly no idea. Jump start on the off-season? I mean he was never going to be resigned.

Exactly. Others on the bubble are Auger, Crescenzi, maybe even Mersch, although I think they him one more contract since his game is back in order and he could be called up if needed. A lot of current fringe D players like MacDermid, LaDue, Gravel and Fantenberg will have to clear waivers next year to be sent down.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
the Great LESLIE!

giphy.gif

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Whats the point of **** like this

Looks like he was the 15th defenseman on the depth chart, at 24 years old, with 0 NHL games, and they have 4 other signed defensemen in juniors. He will end up helping Vegas win the Cup this year, but he's the 15th guy. He's the backup, to the backup, to the backup, to the backup.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Whats the point of **** like this

Still don't get why you got so worked up over this and posted a couple times on the main board. Not every trade is meant to help you win the Stanley Cup.

Part of being a GM is managing egos and relationships. I would not be surprised if Leslie/Leslie's agent kindly asked for a move if he wasn't getting playing time in Ontario and the Kings didn't intend on qualifying him. Now Leslie can get playing time in the AHL. Vegas being an expansion team doesn't have a ton of players in Leslie's age range for their minor league club. Now they get a two month test drive to see if he's worth keeping around. So everybody's happy.

And the kicker is to remain on the good side with Leslie's agent just in case he represents somebody else down the line. Ie, a hypothetical undrafted free agent. The agent can at least relay to the player that Blake is a trustworthy GM to deal with.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Still don't get why you got so worked up over this and posted a couple times on the main board. Not every trade is meant to help you win the Stanley Cup.

Part of being a GM is managing egos and relationships. I would not be surprised if Leslie/Leslie's agent kindly asked for a move if he wasn't getting playing time in Ontario and the Kings didn't intend on qualifying him. Now Leslie can get playing time in the AHL. Vegas being an expansion team doesn't have a ton of players in Leslie's age range for their minor league club. Now they get a two month test drive to see if he's worth keeping around. So everybody's happy.

And the kicker is to remain on the good side with Leslie's agent just in case he represents somebody else down the line. Ie, a hypothetical undrafted free agent. The agent can at least relay to the player that Blake is a trustworthy GM to deal with.
A whole lot of maybes.

Not worked up, just don't get it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Up until the promotions of Gravel and LaDue, the Ontario Reign had a crowded blueline, and Leslie was far below the depth chart. There really was no purpose in keeping him, so it was a simple favor to give him another opportunity. There really is no sense in keeping him around if he's going to be sitting in the press box for most of the season.

The Reign blueline is set with Fantenberg, Lintuniemi, MacDermid, Walker, Subban, Roy, and Falkovsky.

In the pipeline, they have Clague, Moverare, Strand and Reddekopp, not to mention the other unsigned dmen playing at amateur levels who may or may not be signed. The writing was on the wall for Leslie, there was no way the Kings were going to be qualifying him and he's a long shot to get anywhere here.

That's all there is to it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
A whole lot of maybes.

Not worked up, just don't get it.

I've attended a Kings business presentation with Blake (pre-GM) and power agent Pat Brisson and I seem to recall them saying something similar about maintaining relationships.

Part of being a GM is making seemingly inconsequential trades like this. Even if Leslie (likely) doesn't pan into anything, there's no harm with working with his agent to find him a soft landing spot. Especially down the road if that agent represents an undrafted prospect. The CBA puts some limits on those contract offers, so a good working relationship could help differentiate your offer from similar ones.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Even the minor players are people. It may not mean much in the NHL scheme of things, but these moves mean a lot in your overall image.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I've attended a Kings business presentation with Blake (pre-GM) and power agent Pat Brisson and I seem to recall them saying something similar about maintaining relationships.

Part of being a GM is making seemingly inconsequential trades like this. Even if Leslie (likely) doesn't pan into anything, there's no harm with working with his agent to find him a soft landing spot. Especially down the road if that agent represents an undrafted prospect. The CBA puts some limits on those contract offers, so a good working relationship could help differentiate your offer from similar ones.

Zatkoff is another good example, especially since allegedly everyone likes him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad