Les Jackson Discussion Thread

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Reason number one I struggle to see why Jackson would go to PHX is the coach getting more power with player personnel. Les Jackson already had to ride shotgun with Brett Hull. I would be very surprised if he'd leave Dallas to go to a situation where he's not the GM. Sounds like PHX is looking for a GM in title only.

That's rt talking. DT AND others will have a say regarding the GM.

Jackson gets credit for our amazing prospect pool, so this is crazy.

Tippett ousts Maloney so they can go full analytics, and he's a dinosaur?

Your team is considered the only retired-Datsyuk candidate, which I think is unlikely but I have yet to see even a hint of any other destination for him, but you think there's a nonzero chance you'll trade ELCs for expensive vets?

There's just no consistency to this. Jackson has a great drafting record and some experience running a team on a budget. I don't want to lose him and I'm not sure that having him as GM is historically a good thing for Tippett's job security.

Also, nobody on HF knows these people or how they operate so there's really nothing to be gained by asking us instead of googling.

Good post. Love your last sentence. Good luck in the playoffs.

Didn't mean to chase you away, but I don't get it. You describe standard NHL coach behavior, which I agree can be really frustrating, but it happens to at least a dozen teams every year. This Jackson thing might not even happen, so I'm not sure why some people are afraid of it already and concerned he will do something crazily opposed to good management principles.

I'd like to think I know a little about the Stars, but I know zero about the Coyotes so I'm baffled by all the interest because there's no context. I don't think there's been a single post here about Jackson possibly leaving, maybe you have credible sources that elevate this beyond speculation to an actual rumor?

It's the Canadian media blabbing again. They have a lot of time on their hand this playoffs.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's rt talking. DT AND others will have a say regarding the GM.

I think I'm a bit confused by your comment.

If I understand you correctly, the problem isn't would Tip want Jackson. Most players, coaches, and others who have come through the organization have significant respect for Jackson. He was most recently singled out by Morrow at his retirement.

I would imagine that Tip would be perfectly fine with him, and he does seem to be fairly well respected.

The issue I was referring to was Jackson's disaster of an experience sharing duties with Hull ... and that was on Hull IMO ... not Jackson. When Nill decided to accept Dallas' offer after turning down other teams, his personal life played a role, but he also wanted a very good situation.

National media speculation suggests Tippett will have a much larger role than the average coach. It's a guess obviously, but Jackson, like Nill before coming to Dallas, was committed long term to his current organization. I think it would take a pretty ideal scenario for Jackson to leave.

Several things about PHX are definitely ideal. That prospect pool is very enticing, and it was important to Nill to have the AHL team close which is something I could see being important for Jackson. The news that Tuscon is getting your AHL team is very good IMO. PHX is a team that overall is ready to win soon and has great pieces.

The wildcard is Tippett and how much power he actually will receive. I just think Jackson and heck even a guy like Dumbas we already know isn't interested want to be the GM, the final say. In the NHL for the most part, coaches coach. This doesn't sound like it would be your average scenario, and the similar situation out there with Colorado, IMO, isn't proving to be a very good one.

David Bondra

Apr 5, 2016
Dallas, Texas
i don't know if I want to see Les Jackson go. Point out as many mistakes as you wish, a majority of those were with either Nieuwendyk or Hull as our GM and both were really unimpressive at best. Him and Jim Nill together however have been great and I don't want to see us lose Les because it seems that him and Jim work well together.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

So looks like he's staying ? Not sure if i'm suprised . That job with Arizona looks sketchy as hell for someone that already had a bad GM-stint at a franchise with many questionmarks.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Why would Les Jackson take less money for the same position in Arizona?

Why is that a rumor?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Why would Les Jackson take less money for the same position in Arizona?

Why is that a rumor?

We've shifted pretty hard from WHL to OHL in the past year, which I attribute to McDonnell. I don't know Jackson's exact portfolio and I may be off on the reason for the shift, but I could see him wanting to run drafts somewhere as the next step to being a full GM eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad