Les Jackson Discussion Thread

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I listened to today's Marek vs Wyshynski's podcast today and they mentioned that Arizona might be looking at Les Jackson for their GM spot. I don't think Nill would veto anyone moving onto a bigger position, but I don't want to lose Jackson.

mcnultyb617

Apr 11, 2016
Autographed Seguin All-Star Jersey

Hey Stars Fans,

I recently bought an authentic, autographed Tyler Seguin 2016 All-Star game jersey that I'm looking to sell. I have pictures of the jersey as well. If interested, respond to this thread and we can speak privately about price, shipping, etc.

Thanks and good luck in the first round!

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I've always kinda got the impression that he didn't really want another GM gig, not that'd he'd really be advertising that. Does seem that Tippet is staying on and will have a say, so there's that.

Craig Custance is saying the Yotes have asked permission to speak to him.

If Jackson does want to leave, I'd be happy for him. It would have interesting networking potential as far as trade partners go, Nill's relationship with Holland proved fruitful with the Cole/Janmark/Backman trade after all; never a bad idea to have friends managing other teams.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd be worried about going to a team where a coach has that much control.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I don't necessarily believe its 100% Tippett vs Maloney, I can see the Arizona ownership wanting to do anything in their power to get Arizona born Austin Matthews and Maloney saying no way I'd trade OEL for the 1st overall.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Les Jackson

Hey Stars Fans

What is your take on Les Jackson?

Please share any info about him.

Thank you and Go Stars!

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Very good scout was a key factor for many of the very good late round picks. As a Co-GM he was paired with Brett Hull and it didn't work out all that well and didn't last long either.

He never really wanted the spotlight either and seemed like he was talked into taking the GM job and seemed relieved when he could go back to just scouting in peace.

If he takes/gets the Job i wish him all the best but i'm skeptical it's a good idea to be Tippetts figurehead for him. I think Tippett might be able to talk him into it but i don't think it's a good match for him.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Most Stars fans have a very positive opinion about him, I know I certainly do. He's well respected, a hard worker and a great eye for talent. He has played a big role in our drafts and has played a part in our late round gems.

He had a brief tenure as co-GM along with Brett Hull, for all intents and purposes, Jackson was the guy who did the day to day GM work, Hull not so much (Hull has even admitted as much). Only thing Hull really did was bang the table for Avery (thanks Brett). It was 6 years ago now, but the only other major transaction I remember the Stars doing during that time period was acquiring Brad Richards. Frankly, I am a bit surprised it's taken this long for is name to be put out there.

The Yotes would be well served to have a guy like him around, how the hierarchy with Tippet would play out though, no clue.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Think Brunnström was signed during that time too. He was pretty good in his rookie year . Can't remember anything else to add to Richards and the desaster that Avery was.

Edit : Traded Philippe Boucher for Darry Sydor . Sydor was totally done at that point but it helped Boucher win a Cup . Did not help the Stars one bit though.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tell Me Everything There is to Know About Les Jackson

Apart from the stuff that can be found in his bio on the team site and his wiki page.

What kind of a manager is he? What style? Whats his approach? What are some of the good and bad outcomes you attribute to him? What are your general feelings on him and his capability as a manager? Would you say he's old school or progressive? Is he an analytics guy?

Anything you feel is relevant, please share. All info is welcome. Keep in mind, I have read the team site bio and the wiki page. ;)

I ask because I'm a Coyotes fan. Dave Tippett recently managed to get Don Maloney fired and has taken over hockey operations. He's making the personnel moves now. He gets to hand-pick a GM that will answer to him. Everyone is speculating Les Jackson will be that guy.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Apart from the stuff that can be found in his bio on the team site and his wiki page.

What kind of a manager is he? What style? Whats his approach? What are some of the good and bad outcomes you attribute to him? What are your general feelings on him and his capability as a manager? Would you say he's old school or progressive? Is he an analytics guy?

Anything you feel is relevant, please share. All info is welcome. Keep in mind, I have read the team site bio and the wiki page. ;)

I ask because I'm a Coyotes fan. Dave Tippett recently managed to get Don Maloney fired and has taken over hockey operations. He's making the personnel moves now. He gets to hand-pick a GM that will answer to him. Everyone is speculating Les Jackson will be that guy.

Everybody knows that, and nobody knows anything about Jackson that isn't widely available.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1 sec lemme just review footage from my undercover cameras I've installed in several Stars hockey ops offices

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah Jackson allways prefered to stay in the back and quietly do his thing so not too much is know by the public. When he and Hull shared GM. It was allways loudmouth Hull doing the talking IRC.

If you're expecting some form of insider information from posters here well ......

He looked pretty rad when he still wore a mustache . Hope that helps. :P

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The closest thing I can think of to a Stars fans-only tidbit about a team employee is that you shouldn't tell Jim Lites any secrets because he'll blab them into the first microphone he sees.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The closest thing I can think of to a Stars fans-only tidbit about a team employee is that you shouldn't tell Jim Lites any secrets because he'll blab them into the first microphone he sees.

:laugh:

I'm surprised they let him near one anymore. But then again, there aren't exactly a bunch of people above him to do so...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Reason number one I struggle to see why Jackson would go to PHX is the coach getting more power with player personnel. Les Jackson already had to ride shotgun with Brett Hull. I would be very surprised if he'd leave Dallas to go to a situation where he's not the GM. Sounds like PHX is looking for a GM in title only.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Coyotes fan coming in peace

Just wanted to know your guy's honest opinion about Les Jackson and how you think he'd do as our GM.

We're just concerned with him being a Dino-Dave Tippett favorite that our amazing prospect pool will be drained for older vets.

Rooting for you guys in the Playoffs. Love your new jerseys, look like the Celtics of the NHL. **** the Celtics though. Love Seguin, Benn, and Nich too.

Anyhow, thanks in advance!

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Just wanted to know your guy's honest opinion about Les Jackson and how you think he'd do as our GM.

We're just concerned with him being a Dino-Dave Tippett favorite that our amazing prospect pool will be drained for older vets.

Rooting for you guys in the Playoffs. Love your new jerseys, look like the Celtics of the NHL. **** the Celtics though. Love Seguin, Benn, and Nich too.

Anyhow, thanks in advance!

Jackson gets credit for our amazing prospect pool, so this is crazy.

Tippett ousts Maloney so they can go full analytics, and he's a dinosaur?

Your team is considered the only retired-Datsyuk candidate, which I think is unlikely but I have yet to see even a hint of any other destination for him, but you think there's a nonzero chance you'll trade ELCs for expensive vets?

There's just no consistency to this. Jackson has a great drafting record and some experience running a team on a budget. I don't want to lose him and I'm not sure that having him as GM is historically a good thing for Tippett's job security.

Also, nobody on HF knows these people or how they operate so there's really nothing to be gained by asking us instead of googling.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Jackson gets credit for our amazing prospect pool, so this is crazy.

Tippett ousts Maloney so they can go full analytics, and he's a dinosaur?

Your team is considered the only retired-Datsyuk candidate, which I think is unlikely but I have yet to see even a hint of any other destination for him, but you think there's a nonzero chance you'll trade ELCs for expensive vets?

There's just no consistency to this. Jackson has a great drafting record and some experience running a team on a budget. I don't want to lose him and I'm not sure that having him as GM is historically a good thing for Tippett's job security.

Also, nobody on HF knows these people or how they operate so there's really nothing to be gained by asking us instead of googling.

....Dino Dave gets his rep for playing people like Chipchura and Moss over younger players, not for the disagreements with Maloney. I sense some passive aggressiveness so I'll bow out here, but to retort, i tend to learn much more hockey-wise on HF than google. I actually think you guys are pretty smart ;)

Good luck in the playoffs. Thanks for the input.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
....Dino Dave gets his rep for playing people like Chipchura and Moss over younger players, not for the disagreements with Maloney. I sense some passive aggressiveness so I'll bow out here, but to retort, i tend to learn much more hockey-wise on HF than google. I actually think you guys are pretty smart ;)

Good luck in the playoffs. Thanks for the input.

Didn't mean to chase you away, but I don't get it. You describe standard NHL coach behavior, which I agree can be really frustrating, but it happens to at least a dozen teams every year. This Jackson thing might not even happen, so I'm not sure why some people are afraid of it already and concerned he will do something crazily opposed to good management principles.

I'd like to think I know a little about the Stars, but I know zero about the Coyotes so I'm baffled by all the interest because there's no context. I don't think there's been a single post here about Jackson possibly leaving, maybe you have credible sources that elevate this beyond speculation to an actual rumor?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Outside of the usual hockey insiders speculating there's no indication of Jackson leaving. Sure Tippett/Arizona may see him as a good fit but that doesn't mean Jackson does . Hell if you ask Stars fans most of us would look at this situation and say Jackson should stay away from that like a burned kid should from an open fire. He never seemed he wanted this kind of responsibility and his last experience may make him weary especially when you look at all the question marks around the Coyotes.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Things we now know about Les Jackson

- been with Dallas since 1969
- Helped draft Jack Campbell
- also helped draft Scott Glennie
- learned everything he knows from good hockey boys Bob Clarke & Gainey
- will be the next Phoenix Coyotes GM
- has literally no teeth
- probably can't speak