Post-Game Talk: Les Capitals de Washington @ Les Canadiens de Montréal 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Had the game on in the background. Wasn't able to pay close attention, but it looked like a solid win. Glad things are turning around. :)

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Congrats on the win guys. Ovie tying Maurice Richard in goals in Montreal. Unbelievable.

Something tells me these two teams will meet in the playoffs. Hopefully two healthy line-up's.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Congrats on the win guys. Ovie tying Maurice Richard in goals in Montreal. Unbelievable.

Something tells me these two teams will meet in the playoffs. Hopefully two healthy line-up's.

Thanks Pooch! It's always awesome watching the boys play in Montreal! Look forward to the next matchup between our two teams!

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Caught the first half of the game. Connolly continues to impress with his overall game. Here's hoping he can be this team's Dominic Moore come playoff time, in a way.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
If the playoffs started in January we'd be rolling in Cups by now. I mean, Jesus, we're an absolute load at the start of your typical year.

I wonder what our January record is during Ovechkin Era?

My guess is 89-32-9...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

that would be far too fair to the Caps. Montreal will play the Rangers in the first round who will have 8 more points in the standings than the Habs. The Caps will play the Pens in first round.

The Metro 4 will get the 2nd WC and Montreal in round one. Then get the winner of the 7 v 8 series. The Metro 3 will get the East 2 and if they win get the east 1 in the second round. You can bank on that

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
that would be far too fair to the Caps. Montreal will play the Rangers in the first round who will have 8 more points in the standings than the Habs. The Caps will play the Pens in first round.

The Metro 4 will get the 2nd WC and Montreal in round one. Then get the winner of the 7 v 8 series. The Metro 3 will get the East 2 and if they win get the east 1 in the second round. You can bank on that

So don't be Metro 3.

And Metro 3 may be East 3, FYI

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I hardly call this peaking. They looked medicated from October to late December and are just starting to look like themselves again.
Carlson might still be though. :laugh:

I'd like them to win their next game vs Pittsburgh, and then take a loss. Just say no to premature peaking.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

I think I'm won of the few who actually want to see the Caps take on the Pens in the first round. Take on the the toughest obstacle first, when the excitement, energy level (and the desire for revenge) are at their highest. We all saw how the Caps mauled a tough Flyers team last year in the first round. I think they could do the same to Pittsburgh.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
-Great win.
-Kuzya with some magic on the second goal:popcorn:
-#toplineconnolly baby:yo:
-Ovi ties the Rocket in Montreal:handclap:

I'd like Ovechkin to get his 1,000th point with a goal (and not with an assist), and I'm sure in the next game (at least in the first few shifts) everybody will looking for Ovechkin to score.

And I have a kind of a dilemma. I'd like Ovi to hit 1,000 at home against Pitt, but on the other hand, I'd like Joe B to call that play. (the game against Pitt on NBCSN)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Spotted Eazy for Kuzy

giphy.gif

Oh yeah that's how I looked. We dominated most of the game, it was close because of Price but the magician Kuzy just turned it on. He removed Petry's jockstrap and dropped 21 273 jaws to the floor. I was very low to the ice and I got a perfect view of our 3rd period goals.

The people around me rage quit after Connolly's goal and they missed a piece of history from the Great 8. That shot made my jaw drop to the floor again. I wanted Ovi to hit 1000 points selfishly in front of me, but it's only fitting that he does it next game at home against our arch rivals.

Come on Ovi, I want to see the Pens fans' angry faces :laugh: :yo:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think I'm won of the few who actually want to see the Caps take on the Pens in the first round. Take on the the toughest obstacle first, when the excitement, energy level (and the desire for revenge) are at their highest. We all saw how the Caps mauled a tough Flyers team last year in the first round. I think they could do the same to Pittsburgh.

my preference is to avoid as many of the big obstacles as possible. you know what will happen if the Caps beat the Penguins in a brutal first round series. It will be an accomplishment and something to celebrate and result in a flat round two and an exit.

you know I am right. meanwhile, that is supposing they beat the penguins. I would have thought last season was a reminder not to hope the caps get the pens in any round of playoffs.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oh yeah that's how I looked. We dominated most of the game, it was close because of Price but the magician Kuzy just turned it on. He removed Petry's jockstrap and dropped 21 273 jaws to the floor. I was very low to the ice and I got a perfect view of our 3rd period goals.

The people around me rage quit after Connolly's goal and they missed a piece of history from the Great 8. That shot made my jaw drop to the floor again. I wanted Ovi to hit 1000 points selfishly in front of me, but it's only fitting that he does it next game at home against our arch rivals.

Come on Ovi, I want to see the Pens fans' angry faces :laugh: :yo:

Selfish bah! We were all living through you vicariously, and always want more goals from Ovi... constantly. I was hoping you were down at that end of the ice for the 3rd... smart choice of seats.

Truth be told, there is value in seeing Pens fans in distress if it happens. Led of course by S1d, who would be whining and upset that there is a slight delay in the game to honor it.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Watching Orlov the last few games and have been really impressed. He puts so much pressure on the opposition, with his skating, puck-handling, and play-making. Of course he is still a bit gaffe-prone in the D-zone. But we should not be trying to address that by reining him in. You have to use the regular season to get him to play through - and learn from - his inevitable mistakes. His "attack from the back" mode is just too valuable - and rare - an asset to the team at this point.

All successful teams in recent years have a D-guy that can apply a significant amount of offensive, attacking pressure: Keith, Letang, Doughty, Burns, Subban. Orlov clearly lacks the defensive awareness and ability of those guys, but he is turning into a player that can apply a comparable level of pressure, and it really affects the tempo of the game by getting the opposition off their toes and on their heels. It's huge for us.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd definitely rather see Ovi his the 1000 point mark with our home team calling it...Gonna suck listening to the NBCPitSN crew call it if it happens. :(

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Not that NBCSN national audiences are huge, but I'd much rather see him get it Wednesday when there will be more non-local fans tuning in. Joe B and Laughlin called his 500th goal so I won't be upset if they don't call this one.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'd definitely rather see Ovi his the 1000 point mark with our home team calling it...Gonna suck listening to the NBCPitSN crew call it if it happens. :(

On the contrary, I think it would be fantastic for that Pens homer crew to have to acknowledge Ovechin's achievement instead of treating him like a freakish weapon of the enemy.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Caught the first half of the game. Connolly continues to impress with his overall game. Here's hoping he can be this team's Dominic Moore come playoff time, in a way.

Yeah, I like what I see from Connolly, maybe in spurts, but still. He is pretty fast, works hard, but also seems to possibly have enough skill to fit in with top-6 guys.

Something like a bit faster, a bit more perimeter version of BB-era Laich, no?

Would like to see him with Kuz at some point -- still think the ideal linemate(s) for Kuz may be "elite" grinders with decent hands.

Goon was joking, but there's a grain of truth there. Caps will most likely have to find a (cheaper) replacement for Oshie or Williams, if not both. In limited opportunities, Connolly has done alright, probably as good as any in-house candidate.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Watching Orlov the last few games and have been really impressed. He puts so much pressure on the opposition, with his skating, puck-handling, and play-making. Of course he is still a bit gaffe-prone in the D-zone. But we should not be trying to address that by reining him in. You have to use the regular season to get him to play through - and learn from - his inevitable mistakes. His "attack from the back" mode is just too valuable - and rare - an asset to the team at this point.

All successful teams in recent years have a D-guy that can apply a significant amount of offensive, attacking pressure: Keith, Letang, Doughty, Burns, Subban. Orlov clearly lacks the defensive awareness and ability of those guys, but he is turning into a player that can apply a comparable level of pressure, and it really affects the tempo of the game by getting the opposition off their toes and on their heels. It's huge for us.

Yes, Orlov actually does his best defensive work outside the D-zone -- he breaks up a ton of opponents' offense stepping in and disrupting breakouts.

Also, the better the team's possession overall, the better Orlov becomes -- because he shuts down the other team's ability to turn the tide and break out. If the Caps can conjure up a (consistently) elite possession line, Orlov will be a monster playing with them.

On the other hand, if the other team manages to hem the Caps in their zone, Orlov becomes more ordinary -- still with good breakout ability, but also at times undersized & prone to mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad