Post-Game Talk: Les Capitals de Washington @ Les Canadiens de Montréal 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I'd definitely rather see Ovi his the 1000 point mark with our home team calling it...Gonna suck listening to the NBCPitSN crew call it if it happens. :(

I for one am gonna drink their tears when they lament Crosby not getting there first based on his injuries.

It'll be fun to see them squirm as they are forced to throw flowers at Ovie's remarkable career with their poster boy in the building.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's weird. We haven't seen half our posters in a week or two. Weird that happens when they win

This board is mostly focusing on all the negative stuff even if they get a blowout win.

Not that surprised most people avoid this place during the regular season. Forget the game on a positive note by watching the game and not coming here.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This board is mostly focusing on all the negative stuff even if they get a blowout win.

Not that surprised most people avoid this place during the regular season. Forget the game on a positive note by watching the game and not coming here.

Not enough drama for some unless they lose. I'll never understand that mental perspective. That said, I think it's more on the Caps previous defeats and being jaded for many.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Not enough drama for some unless they lose. I'll never understand that mental perspective. That said, I think it's more on the Caps previous defeats and being jaded for many.

Yeah let's not put any of the blame on the chokingist team in NA pro sports history...

It's the fans fault for being schitzo.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Watching Orlov the last few games and have been really impressed. He puts so much pressure on the opposition, with his skating, puck-handling, and play-making. Of course he is still a bit gaffe-prone in the D-zone. But we should not be trying to address that by reining him in. You have to use the regular season to get him to play through - and learn from - his inevitable mistakes. His "attack from the back" mode is just too valuable - and rare - an asset to the team at this point.

All successful teams in recent years have a D-guy that can apply a significant amount of offensive, attacking pressure: Keith, Letang, Doughty, Burns, Subban. Orlov clearly lacks the defensive awareness and ability of those guys, but he is turning into a player that can apply a comparable level of pressure, and it really affects the tempo of the game by getting the opposition off their toes and on their heels. It's huge for us.

Orlov's mentality once he gets the puck is to make a sick offensive play with it. Even if he gets the puck behind his own net pressured by a forechecker. If he starts playing differently in the defensive zone (safely clear at all costs) it takes that mental edge off. Subban/Letang/Doughty/Karlsson/Yandle have the exact same mentality. They don't make safe plays in the defensive zone, they're just better at executing the high risk plays from their own zone without getting stripped or pinned. Doughty in particular, always has 2 guys on him in the defensive zone and still carries the puck out when everyone would be screaming at him to clear it. If Orlov gets better at that then he becomes an elite OFD.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Watching Orlov the last few games and have been really impressed. He puts so much pressure on the opposition, with his skating, puck-handling, and play-making. Of course he is still a bit gaffe-prone in the D-zone. But we should not be trying to address that by reining him in. You have to use the regular season to get him to play through - and learn from - his inevitable mistakes. His "attack from the back" mode is just too valuable - and rare - an asset to the team at this point.

All successful teams in recent years have a D-guy that can apply a significant amount of offensive, attacking pressure: Keith, Letang, Doughty, Burns, Subban. Orlov clearly lacks the defensive awareness and ability of those guys, but he is turning into a player that can apply a comparable level of pressure, and it really affects the tempo of the game by getting the opposition off their toes and on their heels. It's huge for us.

Agreed. Can't recall whether it was the Ottawa or Montreal game, but I noted at least one instance where you could see him making a good choice, facing the boards with possession, he looked around and almost served up a pizza, then instead made the safe play up the boards to a well-positioned teammate.

And I note that having a well-positioned teammate--that is, having the other skaters playing well and being where they should--makes it easier for him to make those good decisions.

Either way tho, evident that he's heeding the coaches and thinking strategically.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
And I note that having a well-positioned teammate--that is, having the other skaters playing well and being where they should--makes it easier for him to make those good decisions.

I love that this is getting pointed out. Having a bad breakout system is a huge component of defensive zone turnovers. If the only options for a defenseman are to chip a 50/50 puck off the glass or make a high risk play, you're going to end up with the other team gaining possession far more often than you should. You can't leave your defensemen on an island. People often lob huge amounts of blame on the defenseman tasked with leading the breakout for turnovers, when in many cases their team is just as much at fault for not providing them support/outlets.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah let's not put any of the blame on the chokingist team in NA pro sports history...

It's the fans fault for being schitzo.

Except for the part where I SAID "previous defeats". That said, there is plenty of schizophrenia around here. Please continue Sybil. :naughty: ;)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I love that this is getting pointed out. Having a bad breakout system is a huge component of defensive zone turnovers. If the only options for a defenseman are to chip a 50/50 puck off the glass or make a high risk play, you're going to end up with the other team gaining possession far more often than you should. You can't leave your defensemen on an island. People often lob huge amounts of blame on the defenseman tasked with leading the breakout for turnovers, when in many cases their team is just as much at fault for not providing them support/outlets.

:handclap:

What is easier to fix.

3 pizza deliverymen struggling as they learn the game, who all agree won't be polished defensively and at their peak until they are close to 30 years old, or implement a PMD supportive modern era breakout system? Option one can take upwards of a decade.

It's not complicated stuff. Anyone that has played knows someone between you and your D pal means you are likely not getting the puck. And also know, if you are flat footed, by the time the puck gets to you, you will likely get clobbered if the puck even gets there. You need to get into a passing lane, and be moving to catch the defense flat footed.

I have seen a better breakout. The problem is that no 2 breakouts are exactly alike so its hard to know for sure, but what I think I have been seeing is...

The first pass is often up the boards (it is Trotz) to a guy largely stationary, and then second is a quick short slightly diagonal up ice pass to a forward with speed. From there, I haven't seen a pattern. Very basic stuff, if everyone does their job.

I would love to see a site that charts the path of the puck on breakouts. I would be very interested to see Pitts early 2016 chart.

Maybe Eazy can recall the breakouts he saw practiced and keyboardily diagram it out for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad