GDT: Les C4pit0lz @ Mango. 10.30pm EST. 3.22.1014

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't see the caps as a long shot, and never have.

Taking my 2nd glance at the standings this year, I see we are a point out of a playoff spot.

It sounds closer to a coin flip to me.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
Great road trip from Ward-Fehr-Chimmer. Really liked how Penner-Brownie-Wilson started to click in the last two games. These are the types of lines that make the difference in playoff series, so good to see.

Man we are horrible on the faceoffs. HORRIBLE.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Taking my 2nd glance at the standings this year, I see we are a point out of a playoff spot.

If we had games in hand or were even in games remaining I'd agree but we don't and we lose the tie breaker to everyone (except possibly Toronto).

We're down 4 pts to PHI and they have 2 in hand, even with NYR in GR but trailing by 3 pts, up 1 pt on CBJ but down 1 game, down 1 pt on DET and also down 1 game to them, and down 1 pt to TOR but do have 1 game on them. So we have to continue to win at a rate we haven't hit all season, and hope teams start or continue to lose. Still a long shot, but not quite the long shot it was 7-10 days ago.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Well just a week or two ago we were at like a 6% chance to make the playoffs. Now its something like 30%.

Maybe not a "longshot" as of today but its an uphill battle and less than 50/50 since we don't even control our own destiny.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Well just a week or two ago we were at like a 6% chance to make the playoffs. Now its something like 30%.

Maybe not a "longshot" as of today but its an uphill battle and less than 50/50 since we don't even control our own destiny.

Same site that had us at 6% had us at 8% yesterday.

With Toronto and Detroit losses that should be ~15% now.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Same site that had us at 6% had us at 8% yesterday.

With Toronto and Detroit losses that should be ~15% now.

Seems like we should be higher than that tho. Either way its well under 50% so we haven't reached coin flip territory just yet.

ryan519*

what does our record need to look like to reach the sacred 93 points by season's end?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
what does our record need to look like to reach the sacred 93 points by season's end?

14 points from 10 games. 6-2-2 would be enough for that.

Dallas missed the playoffs few years back with 95 points though. :laugh:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One thing the odds may not reflect, is that we just got a major upgrade in goal. Added a vet LW winger as one tapped out. A tiny sample size, but Brown seems a net positive player.

We are relatively healthy, and maybe even will get Grabs back, who I think has been our best ES center this year. Our top line features an experiment at center, who knew.

We have a well rested core Ovi Nick and Green that have plenty of gas in the tank.

Orlov seems to be trending up, as is Wey. We could be in a lot worse shape.

Druce Kuz is on the loose

Someone has a game in hand? They lose. Poof.

I wager the $6 to win $100 everyday through sunday

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I think it's pretty obvious what's happening. You've got a coach that doesn't believe in motivating his players. So naturally, they go through the motions for the vast majority of the year. Then, as the season winds down, they realize there's a real possibility of missing the playoffs, so they're motivated by that pressure to actually put forth an honest effort on the ice.

It makes you wonder where the team would be with a competent coaching staff.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think NBTW is spot on here.

It definitely fits the bill of why we have such slow starts and don't always seem to show emotion or go 100% until we wake up and realize it.

Oates is reminding me more and more of Ron Wilson in alot of ways. Good at Xs and Os...poor on motivation and intensity.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think NBTW is spot on here.

It definitely fits the bill of why we have such slow starts and don't always seem to show emotion or go 100% until we wake up and realize it.

Oates is reminding me more and more of Ron Wilson in alot of ways. Good at Xs and Os...poor on motivation and intensity.

Minus the Wilson comparison we've been documenting a lot of this in the Oates progress thread if you want to check it out.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
+1 NBTW is right.

It is very tough to grade our existing players when the best players do not give their full effort but for 2 - 3 shifts per game.

Eye on the prize, it has to be McPhee. For even if Oates gets fired, George will once again hire an completely unproven coach, a former caps player.

Bondra or Fedorov.

One that coaches the way they wanted to be coached, easily.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't believe Oates can be fired by GMGM. Their futures are tied together now.

I too am sick of unproven coach after unproven coach. What I said back then is exactly what it seems....GMGM hires these guys to extend his own shelf life.

I believe this tactic has come to an end one way or another.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I figured he has hired noobs to be able to remain in control of the team to some extent. Hire someone that will be forever indebted to him, in exchange for their loyalty, secrecy, etc.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I figured he has hired noobs to be able to remain in control of the team to some extend.

That and the fact that they are patsies who he can easily shift the blame to if things don't work out. He has a built in fall guy who doesn't have the name or credibility to point the finger back at him.

He stumbled upon the best coach we've ever had and in a blink of an eye bumbled it away.

Vladiator16*

+1 NBTW is right.

It is very tough to grade our existing players when the best players do not give their full effort but for 2 - 3 shifts per game.

Eye on the prize, it has to be McPhee. For even if Oates gets fired, George will once again hire an completely unproven coach, a former caps player.

Bondra or Fedorov.

One that coaches the way they wanted to be coached, easily.

Feds is out, he is GMing in KHL, CSKA i think.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I figured he has hired noobs to be able to remain in control of the team to some extent. Hire someone that will be forever indebted to him, in exchange for their loyalty, secrecy, etc.

ive said this before. what ive been told is that ted sets a budget that wont buy an experienced coach with a winning track record. believe that its another reason to tear down George if you want. its cheap and easy.

btw....how many former caps head coaches has he hired? two. right? of the two how many were patsies and coached them like they wanted to be coached...easy??

Liberati0n*

I'm not convinced Oates is good at X's and O's at all. The one X's and O's triumph during his tenure has been the PP, which is Blaine Forsythe's work.

I'm all for trashing Oates now, but we absolutely do not know that it's Forsythe's work. He may be in charge of implementing it and making particular adjustments but I think it's been indicated that the overall design in Oates'.

Liberati0n*

ive said this before. what ive been told is that ted sets a budget that wont buy an experienced coach with a winning track record. believe that its another reason to tear down George if you want. its cheap and easy.

btw....how many former caps head coaches has he hired? two. right? of the two how many were patsies and coached them like they wanted to be coached...easy??

And I've said this before. Why the **** would Ted forbid the hiring of an experienced coach for financial reasons but allow McPhee to spend to the cap every year and stash Nylander in the AHL? The cost difference between a new coach and an experienced coach is much smaller than the cost of paying expensive players. That difference is probably the equivalent of paying to keep a couple of extra guys on the roster at league minimum or not. You probably won't answer again, but why???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad