Leon Draisaitl or Johnny Gaudreau?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's always a pissing match... I could care less about the position argument, the fact is Draisaitl played both RW and C. Gaudreau is a LW. Both have a high 70 point season on their belts. Both have played in 2/3 rounds of playoff hockey. Gaudreau sucked against Anaheim, did well against Vancouver. Draisaitl sucked against San José, did well against Anaheim.

It's pretty much even. Draisaitl does have SLIGHT EDGE for his age. However, I'll stick with Johnny because I'm a Flames fan. Anyone that says "Draisaitl not close" is out of their mind.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
It's always a pissing match... I could care less about the position argument, the fact is Draisaitl played both RW and C. Gaudreau is a LW. Both have a high 70 point season on their belts. Both have played in 2/3 rounds of playoff hockey. Gaudreau sucked against Anaheim, did well against Vancouver. Draisaitl sucked against San José, did well against Anaheim.

It's pretty much even. Draisaitl does have SLIGHT EDGE for his age. However, I'll stick with Johnny because I'm a Flames fan. Anyone that says "Draisaitl not close" is out of their mind.

Just on the ice, is it that close?

Both are more playmakers than shooters but Draisaitl has more ways to create offence than Gaudreau.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Just on the ice, is it that close?

Both are more playmakers than shooters but Draisaitl has more ways to create offence than Gaudreau.

Completely disagree. Gaudreau makes everyone better around him. And he does it in a lot of ways.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Again! :shakehead, Flames can't win polls against Oilers on HF due to membership issues.

Tell you what oil fans, I'll spot Leon 5 points this year and take Johnny for a points per game race on a avatar bet. :naughty:

I feel like spotting him 10 but I don't trust the news he'll be centering his own line, just post "I'm in" and I'll save your name :nod:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Again! :shakehead, Flames can't win polls against Oilers on HF due to membership issues.

Tell you what oil fans, I'll spot Leon 5 points this year and take Johnny for a points per game race on a avatar bet. :naughty:

I feel like spotting him 10 but I don't trust the news he'll be centering his own line, just post "I'm in" and I'll save your name :nod:

Draisaitl. Not close.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Looks like someone is sore about losing this poll, folks.

What other stats would you like to see? Giveaways/takeaways? Gaudreau gives away the puck twice as much as he takes it away. Faceoffs? Lol.
CF%? FF%? Defensive zone starts? Advantage Draisaitl.
Goals created? Goals per game? Points per game? Advantage Draisaitl.
Offensive point shares? Draisaitl. Defensive point shares? Draisaitl.
Hits? Draisaitl. Shot blocks? Draisaitl.

Be sore bra.

I'm not at all surprised Draisaitl is winning this poll - hf is full of Oilers fans and people who voted based on points from the most recent season.

Gaudreau still has the best season between the two of them and did it without playing with McDavid or facing second pairing defenseman. Over half of Draisaitl's points shared a point with McDavid - but after after the new year that number turns into 72% - 31 of his final 43 points shared a point with McDavid.

Over the past 2 years Gaudreau has done more with less.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

:laugh: If that were the reason, Leafs would win every poll they were involved in.

Draisaitl is simply a more talented player, younger, bigger, plays a more valuable position.

If Every team in the league could take one of these players for free, over 20 of them would take Draisaitl for sure.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
But you see Leon is just so much bigger and more physical than Johnny is so if the points are pretty much a wash then I'll take the bigger of the two.

But the points aren't a wash over the last 2 years. The difference becomes increasingly magnified when only focus on his production without McDavid. It's the same reason nobody would take Connor Sheary over Taylor Hall, despite scoring more points in less games.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Haha jesus this site is useless when it comes to polls.

Gaudreau carries teams.

Draisaitl carries McDavids jock for him.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Draisaitl is simply a more talented player, younger, bigger, plays a more valuable position.

If Every team in the league could take one of these players for free, over 20 of them would take Draisaitl for sure.

More talented? Don't know about that. Gaudreau succeeds mostly because he's more talented than the other players on the ice. Drai has some great talent too, but a lot of his early results come from being much more physically developed. Plus he gets to play with McMoney.

The question is who's a better hockey player, not which player would the Golden Knight's choose to build a team around.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
did you miss his rookie season when he played a full season at center and had 51 points?

Pedantic note, but based on NHL qualifiers, Drai's 37 game/9 point season actually counts as his Rookie year. He passed the 25 game qualifier.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
to four game sweeps?

didn't Draisaitl "carry" the Oilers to Game 7 of the 2nd round when McDavid was "garbage" according to some posters?

Gaudreau has been to the second round too. You know, there have been playoff tournaments other than the lone appearance the Oilers have had in the last decade.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
did you miss his rookie season when he played a full season at center and had 51 points?

*sophomore season

Also he played with hall who is no slouch.

Oilers fans think mcd is the best player in the world. Don't you think playing on his line would boost your stats? The fact some of you think Leon is going to get 80+ points while centering his own line shows how out to lunch you guys are

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Gaudreau has been to the second round too. You know, there have been playoff tournaments other than the lone appearance the Oilers have had in the last decade.

That Canucks team was probably the worst playoff team I have seen in the last 15 years. They were falling over themselves trying to give games away. Once you guys got to Anaheim that year it was predictably lopsided (granted, this year the games were a lot closer and I'd agree that the Flames outplayed them everywhere except in net).

As for the poll, despite it being said to the point of becoming cliché, Draisaitl's game is much more suited to tight-checking playoff style games than Gaudreau's. Gaudreau very well may outscore Draisaitl in the regular season over their careers, but he makes less of an impact as the games get more difficult and isn't the type of player you'd ideally want to build a team around. There's no denying his skill though.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
*sophomore season

Also he played with hall who is no slouch.

Oilers fans think mcd is the best player in the world. Don't you think playing on his line would boost your stats? The fact some of you think Leon is going to get 80+ points while centering his own line shows how out to lunch you guys are

Apparently one person equals a portion of the Oilers fanbase now?

I think if you were to poll Oilers fans about how many points Draisaitl would get this year centering his own line with half-decent linemates (read: not broken Pouliot and a rookie Slepyshev), most would say 60 - 70.

And yes, I'd take that over Gaudreau's 75 points simply because of Draisaitl's overall impact on the game.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

Against the Canucks in probably the weakest first round match-up in NHL history thanks to the ridiculous divisional playoff format?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
First it was Draisaitl was carried by Taylor Hall.. then it became Draisaitl was carried by McDavid. Maybe the correct way to look at it is that Draisaitl is just an elite player who can succeed with many different players.

In regards to Gaudreau... great entertaining player to watch. But not one I would build a team around.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If you want a future Art Ross winner - Gaudreau
If you want a decent Robin to a really good Batman - Draisaitl

That Canucks team was probably the worst playoff team I have seen in the last 15 years.

...That Canucks team had the 8th-most points in the NHL that season. Gotta love revisionist history.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
If you want a future Art Ross winner - Gaudreau
If you want a decent Robin to a really good Batman - Draisaitl

...That Canucks team had the 8th-most points in the NHL that season. Gotta love revisionist history.

Oh looks its Mr.Gaudreau>>McDavid :laugh::laugh: We'll keep the better hockey player in Draisaitl, thanks. Gaudreau will never win an Art Ross.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad