Speculation: Leon Draisaitl Contract Talk

oilborn

Jun 25, 2009
This narrative that the agent is the one responsible for this is ridiculous. The agent works for the player. Not the other way around.

No it isn't. The player hires the agent on the premise that the agent will get him the best deal possible but in order to attract high end clients the agent will promise the world. Leon may be getting updates but make no mistake the agent and the GM are the driving force behind the contract negotiations. Leon knows he will make bank but his agent wants to maximize his commission as well.
Please don't turn this into a hate on for Leon. If you want to hate somebody for a longer contract negotiation hate on his agent or PC.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
If this does not go past August then Chia is getting ripped off.
Chia (hopefully) knows that negotiations with Mike Liut don't even begin until September.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
If this does not go past August then Chia is getting ripped off.
Chia (hopefully) knows that negotiations with Mike Liut don't even begin until September.

Gaudreau went right into training camp without a contract (and he has the same agent) - and he signed for under $7M AAV when the predominant rumours was he was asking for ~$8M AAV.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This narrative that the agent is the one responsible for this is ridiculous. The agent works for the player. Not the other way around.

It's possible and likely that some players are quite involved in their negotiations. But there are certainly also players that are very hands off, and allow their agents complete freedom of negotiation. You look at guys like Johansen and Gaudreau who all along said that their agents were handling the negotiations. I do believe they had very little to do with talks, and they just show up when it's time to sign.

Hard to say which type Draisaitl falls under. Seems like McDavid was happy to let his agent do the negotiating until he saw the number and the backlash at which point he stepped in.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It's possible and likely that some players are quite involved in their negotiations. But there are certainly also players that are very hands off, and allow their agents complete freedom of negotiation. You look at guys like Johansen and Gaudreau who all along said that their agents were handling the negotiations. I do believe they had very little to do with talks, and they just show up when it's time to sign.

Hard to say which type Draisaitl falls under. Seems like McDavid was happy to let his agent do the negotiating until he saw the number and the backlash at which point he stepped in.

I doubt that.

I'd guess the players get "primed" by the agents and PA for negotiation. My guess is players are "influenced" to take bigger contracts and even then it's slow going.

Remember PA wants more money. The players have to balance what they can rightly get and what's best for their team.

I kind of doubt Leon will get 9. I'd guess he takes the same cut and you get both for under 22.

And that's if his agent doesn't cave.

Worst case scenario is Leon is legit wanting to be the alpha dog but I doubt it.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
rumor is the oilers bought out pouliot because he wouldnt let Leon over to his house to see how you can get by with $4m per

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad