Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl | 19-20 Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, & Hart Trophy Winner

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Zaddy, Apr 14, 2020.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    There's no concussion. That is a for-sure. Zero chance the organization or player try to slide that through. He might be banged up abit - he certainly is taking a pounding physically and has been playing fearlessly in all of the tough areas of the ice. But personally, I think it just seems like a bit of a 'rough spot' if you can call it that for someone whose production is still among league elites.

I haven't been enamoured by Draisaitl's line mates, both game, but smaller players. Kahun has been largely ineffective. Shows flashes but isn't getting enough done. Yamamoto is an excellent fearless ball of hate who leaves it all on the ice. Both have low shot counts and I think haven't necessarily been effective in getting high percentage kill zone shots for Draisaitl. I think Draisaitl could use a volume shooter on his wing both to finish more of his great passing and quite likely create more open ice for Draisaitl himself to get more high percentage shots.

Nugent Hopkins has proven to play with both elites and his shooting more as a top winger. Puljujarvi is emerging a power forward with volume shooter tendency. At some point maybe if this team hits a rough patch maybe the wingers get swapped up a bit to help Draisaitl.

Drivesaitl likes this.
  2. Bryanbryoil Win It For Colby & Emily

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Good point, he is a tremendous athlete but he plays a big mans game and that wears a lot on a person when you are shielding the puck and moving bodies out there.

Drivesaitl likes this.
  3. Tobias Kahun Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Even in games where McDavid is having his minuted pulled back, it seems Draisaitl is still playing his normal minutes.

4. McFlyingV Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wouldn't worry much about Draisaitl's cold stretch here. He's had one of these just about every season he's been in the league aside from last year, and every year there's a lot of panic and criticism only to see him heat up and tear the league apart down the stretch. The biggest thing right now is he's not shooting enough and overpassing it, and when he does shoot he just hasn't been as automatic as the past two seasons. Sooner or later every one-timer he takes is going to start going in again and he'll start shooting more as he's reminded that he's one of the best goal scorers in the world.

We haven't needed him to be exceptional up to this point due to McDavid tearing the league apart and getting solid depth scoring from the bottom 6 and defence. I think people often forget that most superstars or 1st line players have cold streaks throughout the year, and we see it every year with Nuge before he inevitably heats up. I think we're just so spoiled using McDavid as a measuring stick because even when he goes cold he's still playing like an elite player. He really is the only player in the league who never truly goes cold.