Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl | 19-20 Art Ross, Ted Lindsay & Hart Trophy Winner | Congrats on 500 Career Points!

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Hmmm, very interesting. I would have thought that Drai got hardly any coverage in Germany at all. Good to see him getting some love in his home country.

"at all"?
Nah bruv, he's often in the papers or name shows up related to sports. I guess it only matters who you ask (if they pay attention or care to remember). Bias: coming from a hockey fan who lives in Cologne (his home city with a big hockey team and several media outlets).

This Fall he was in Cologne and showed up on a few shows like Stern.tv and Sportschau after winning the Hart.

Reactions: Al from New Jersey

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
"at all"?
Nah bruv, he's often in the papers or name shows up related to sports. I guess it only matters who you ask (if they pay attention or care to remember). Bias: coming from a hockey fan who lives in Cologne (his home city with a big hockey team and several media outlets).

This Fall he was in Cologne and showed up on a few shows like Stern.tv and Sportschau after winning the Hart.

That is even better to hear. With Germany's focus on soccer, hockey not being that big/popular there, and Drai playing in Canada, I somewhat assumed that he was flying under the radar. Very pleased to see him getting proper recognition in his home country.

Just curious. Is the NHL well known there at all? I'm assuming that people are aware of it as the average Canadian is aware of the Premiere League/Bundesliga or whatever, but are individual teams known? As well as individual players? Example: would the average sports fan there have any idea who McDavid was?

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
That is even better to hear. With Germany's focus on soccer, hockey not being that big/popular there, and Drai playing in Canada, I somewhat assumed that he was flying under the radar. Very pleased to see him getting proper recognition in his home country.

Just curious. Is the NHL well known there at all? I'm assuming that people are aware of it as the average Canadian is aware of the Premiere League/Bundesliga or whatever, but are individual teams known? As well as individual players? Example: would the average sports fan there have any idea who McDavid was?

As to your example:
Only German hockey fans know McD...thats maybe 2% of the people...otherwise he is pretty unknown...but players like Gretzky and to some extend Crosby are known.
Maybe an Olympic game against Germany could benefit his popularity:)

Reactions: SaltNPeca

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln

Short Answer: Outside of a hockey-interested circles people will likely know VERY little to nothing about NHL or even their local DEL team. In a hotspot they will know about their DEL team and maybe a tidbit about NHL, especially like knowing Draisaitl or Seidenberg.
Some passionate hockey fans & people who actually play inline or ice hockey will know very much, watch NHL games, have a favorite NHL team, and so on.

Oversharing:
Again I am super biased. I play in a men's hockey league here, so interact with people who play the sport. I live in a big city which is also a hockey hotspot. Generally speaking Cologne and Mannheim have big pro arenas and something like a cult following of hockey fans & good youth programs. Note that Dusseldorf is only 40km away.
Looking at the attendance rankings you may get an idea where pro hockey is popular in Europe. In Germany: Berlin, Cologne, Mannheim, & Dusseldorf.
IIHF - European attendance ranking

I have seen Oiler jerseys randomly in the city (note that I have an eye for this, but it is really surreal).
At a local DEL game I would expect to see more NHL jerseys and run into people who know NHL Teams and Players for sure. The Oilers played here in 2018 and in 1991 in a mini-tournament called Epson Cup in Dusseldorf (an older guy I skate with refereed one game and showed me the scoresheet in person!)

Subjectively I noticed a lot of German NHL fans seem to like the Ducks (maybe from the Mighty Ducks Movie?), otherwise Original 6 esp. Boston (Seidenberg?), Tampa, or in general the California Teams.

Oddly I ran into a few Scottish & British hockey fans that are super passionate and know the game. One English guy loves DEL and travels often to Germany to see games. He has NHL Jerseys, and I think calls games on the radio in his local arena!

Average sports fan will not know McDavid in Germany, no.

Reactions: BertMcDrai

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Leading the league in scoring after two games. Back-to-back Art Ross trophies incoming? ;)

I can't stop watching this play. It's so incredible and just one of a number of amazing passing plays from Drai these past two games. What's striking about it too is that McDavid anticipates it, he knows that Leon will find him somehow.

Quinn Hughes on the other hand is new to the league and for all his skill he has no clue that Drai can find a way to get the puck to the net from where he is and is completely caught off guard. It's beautiful to watch.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Leading the league in scoring after two games. Back-to-back Art Ross trophies incoming? ;)

I can't stop watching this play. It's so incredible and just one of a number of amazing passing plays from Drai these past two games. What's striking about it too is that McDavid anticipates it, he knows that Leon will find him somehow.

Quinn Hughes on the other hand is new to the league and for all his skill he has no clue that Drai can find a way to get the puck to the net from where he is and is completely caught off guard. It's beautiful to watch.

Draisaitl is so good, I legit missed this last night, what a pass, like what a pass.

Reactions: perseus and Zaddy

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
exceptional pass by 29. 97's route to the net there is sublime. Really exploits Quinn into thinking he's in ok shape.

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Going into the season I expected Drai to take on a more defensive role and so far it’s true. Only one offensive zone start compared to four in the defensive zone at even strength. In the grand scheme on thing, the difference isn’t that great but it shows the trust Tippett has with Drai. It’s funny some non Oilers fans think Drai has the worst defensive play in the league.

He does a better job breaking the puck out from the d zone than all our D. Just so good at slowing the play down when he collects the puck behind the net.

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
My girlfriend who doesnt really watch hockey pointed out last night how Draisaitl makes the whole ice play at his speed when he gets the puck. What a talent. Protecting the puck, slowing the game down, best sauce in the league, 50 goal scorer, beast on the draw. Hes a Thoroughbred.

Guy is amazing, still cant believe what a fantastic player he is.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Right as Nuge is passing him the puck he gives a quick look up to the middle of the ice and sees McDavid sliding in through the slot, looks back down to accept the pass which is already on its way and as soon as he accepts it he initiates the behind the back backhand pass to the perfect spot for McDavid, just out of reach for Demko to get a stick on. A lot of skill, precision and hockey IQ involved in that play.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It’s funny some non Oilers fans think Drai has the worst defensive play in the league.

It's just the latest dumb narrative out there. First it was Leon rides Connor's coattails. Then it was Leon isn't a full-time centre. Now it's Leon picks up easy 2nd line match-ups or Leon is terrible defensively.

It's funny though, you actually rarely hear that nonsense coming from Flames, Canucks, or fans of the California teams. Nope, it's mostly just parroted from eastern time zone posters who evidently aren't watching the games and clearly have a bone to pick.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

That sucked the life out of the Canucks. There is no way to defend against puck movement like that.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's just the latest dumb narrative out there. First it was Leon rides Connor's coattails. Then it was Leon isn't a full-time centre. Now it's Leon picks up easy 2nd line match-ups or Leon is terrible defensively.

It's funny though, you actually rarely hear that nonsense coming from Flames, Canucks, or fans of the California teams. Nope, it's mostly just parroted from eastern time zone posters who evidently aren't watching the games and clearly have a bone to pick.

Yeah we like to rag on the Nucks and Flames fans (as we should with rivalry teams), but to their credit, they understand more than anybody how freaking amazing Drai is.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

You hear some from the Flames but that's because Draisaitl is better than any forward they've ever had

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

That pass was unreal. While everybody was fawning over the McDavid goal, I was fawning over the Draisaitl pass.

I gotta say, his improvement from year to year is one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen.

Think about it...

'14-'15 - Clearly not NHL ready, needs to work on skating big time (2 goals, 9 points in 37 games)
'15-'16 - Skating a lot better. You can see flashes of brilliance alongside Hall but who is REALLY driving that line? (19 goals, 51 points in 72 games)
'16-'17 - Now on the top line playing alongside the best player in the league and not looking like a passenger but still differing to McDavid, a clear #2 to McDavid at this point. Started to show signs of elite line driving in the playoffs (29 goals, 77 points in 82 games)
'17-'18 - Tough year for everybody but I felt that Drai was rounding his game more, becoming a bit more of a line driver (stats flatlined a bit)
'18-'19 - Becomes an elite goal scorer seemingly overnight but is he a product of McDavid? I didn't think so this season, or ever for that matter, but the questions still remained (50 goals, 105 points in 110 games)
'19-'20 - Becomes a monster of a player. Best player in the league, proved that he can drive his own line at an absolutely elite level and wins all the trophies, don't know what else to say (43 games, 110 points in 71 games pacing for 50 goals, 120+ points)
-20-'21 - Only 2 games but he might be even better than last year. He looks unbelievable in the offensive zone, just controls the play like nobody else. He could have easily had like 3-4 goals, 3-4 more assists in these first two games. He is The German Gretzky.

Needless to say, this guy is my favorite player in the league and with me being part German (small part but still) makes it all the more better.
Go Leon. f*** off haters.

Last edited:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
That Draisaitl pass was sublime. I was in awe even as it happened - can't believe they missed that on the live replay.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

McDavid and Drai are going to pass the Art Ross around like they do on the PP

Reactions: Llamamoto and Zaddy

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Going into the season I expected Drai to take on a more defensive role and so far it’s true. Only one offensive zone start compared to four in the defensive zone at even strength. In the grand scheme on thing, the difference isn’t that great but it shows the trust Tippett has with Drai. It’s funny some non Oilers fans think Drai has the worst defensive play in the league.

He does a better job breaking the puck out from the d zone than all our D. Just so good at slowing the play down when he collects the puck behind the net.
Part of the reason is he’s also our best face off man

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That Draisaitl pass was sublime. I was in awe even as it happened - can't believe they missed that on the live replay.

Michaels missed about half a dozen Drai passes in the game, that were great. 2-3 times he thought the pass was from RNH. Not sure how that mistake could be made. Leon is the big hulking power forward that is always holding and dishing. That much of our offense runs through.

Reactions: perseus

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
It's just the latest dumb narrative out there. First it was Leon rides Connor's coattails. Then it was Leon isn't a full-time centre. Now it's Leon picks up easy 2nd line match-ups or Leon is terrible defensively..

Actually, believe it or not, there are a small but vocal minority that actually still think Draisaitl rides McDavid's coattails and they emerged from their dirt holes after last game. I didn't think people were actually this uninformed. Are people stupid? Jealous? Enjoy triggering others? Or just hate the Oilers? Who knows....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad