Confirmed with Link: Lekhonen Signed 3 years

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
So 5'11'' and 178 pounds is a lack of size? If he is so weak, how come he ended up MVP of the SHL playoffs? Am I missing something? Is SHL so physical that it is easy to see him being easily pushed around. The way you are describing him it is like he is so weak, light and small.

That's an understatement

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The dude is just small. Hockey heights tend to be inflated, and he didn't look 5'11 when I saw him. Looks like he's rounding up to 5'10, like Johnson. He likely became the MVP of the SHL playoffs because he's so bloody smart. That's why I've always been a supporter of his, even if I was concerned during his slump last year. I do think that he can become strong enough to survive the NHL though. Whether that happens this summer or not is rather up to him. It's possible though.

He measured in at 5'11" at the 2013 NHL Draft combine.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/03/nhl-draft-combine-2013-heights-and-weights/

That measurement came one month before his 18th birthday.

He's at least 5'11, and might be at 6'0 if he grew past his 18th birthday (which is possible).

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Great news. As I said before, and was bashed for saying it....I don't expect a whole lot from him. Not because he's not talented. Not becuase he doesn't have skills. But because I felt that BEFORE I start expecting something, we had to see how he'd translate his style in North American, with our speed, with our systems, with our rinks. That's all. So I was just refraining myself from being too ecstatic. Nevertheless, I OBVIOUSLY preferred to see him do well. I am fast to criticize if they are not doing well, I have to commend him for being so great....and I am. But we still have to wait and see how it translates here.

In this year's camps, he need to show a lot more than what he showed last year at the dev. camp. And I'm sure he will. He comes in with the success that he had, which has to also make him come in with tons of confidence. Can't wait to see. We need the help!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Great news. As I said before, and was bashed for saying it....I don't expect a whole lot from him. Not because he's not talented. Not becuase he doesn't have skills. But because I felt that BEFORE I start expecting something, we had to see how he'd translate his style in North American, with our speed, with our systems, with our rinks. That's all. So I was just refraining myself from being too ecstatic. Nevertheless, I OBVIOUSLY preferred to see him do well. I am fast to criticize if they are not doing well, I have to commend him for being so great....and I am. But we still have to wait and see how it translates here.

In this year's camps, he need to show a lot more than what he showed last year at the dev. camp. And I'm sure he will. He comes in with the success that he had, which has to also make him come in with tons of confidence. Can't wait to see. We need the help!

I've only seen the highlights, which obviously don't show his whole game, but I'm not exactly floored. His shot's very good and he seems to be good at stealing pucks though. I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think he's quite as good as Hudon but I'm not qualified to say either way.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Slightly undersized european player with some skill. I guess we'll see another 'Therrien special': play 10 min. a game on your off wing.

You need to pay more attention. Lehkonen has always played his off wing so keeping him there would be a good thing.

It seems like you enjoying spouting negatives before you have the facts

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Come on guys, MT is not that terrible with young players. It's true they are given less rope then veterans but that is to be expected.

Look how many young players have been given chances and proven themself on this team. The whole team can't be rookies or sophmores. It makes sense to give and take with a young player, make them hungrier, understand adversity. You can't just put every young player in prime minutes and expect them to be all stars. Lot's of players have to move up and down and progress over 2 or 3 years.

And don't expect a guy who is playing his first year in Pro NA hockey as a rookie to all of a sudden be given prime minutes that doesn't make sense.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Come on guys, MT is not that terrible with young players. It's true they are given less rope then veterans but that is to be expected.

Look how many young players have been given chances and proven themself on this team. The whole team can't be rookies or sophmores. It makes sense to give and take with a young player, make them hungrier, understand adversity. You can't just put every young player in prime minutes and expect them to be all stars. Lot's of players have to move up and down and progress over 2 or 3 years.

And don't expect a guy who is playing his first year in Pro NA hockey as a rookie to all of a sudden be given prime minutes that doesn't make sense.

The issue was never with "young" players but a certain type of player, rookie or vet.

Anything that doesn't fit the profile of MT's dream squad pretty much get the shaft. Guys like Ghetto, Hudon, Scherbak, Lekhonen will never have as much rope as DLR under Therrien.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Good news. Very interesting prospect. I'm not sure he is physically ready for an nhl season but he will probably open eyes in camp. This kid is a skilled warrior with a Gallagher heart.

I think his quick game can adapt well in NA and I have no doubt the coach will play him if he thinks he is enough ready. The player needs to show hard work and it seems Lehkonen is not the kind of player you need to push continuously. He shows great maturity at a young age and he has the kind of character and winning attitude you love to add on your team.

High quality prospect fighting for a top9 spot next season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So 5'11'' and 178 pounds is a lack of size? If he is so weak, how come he ended up MVP of the SHL playoffs? Am I missing something? Is SHL so physical that it is easy to see him being easily pushed around. The way you are describing him it is like he is so weak, light and small.

yes, he has a lack of size for sure. He's clearly on the skinny side which means he has a lack of size. He was MVP of the playoffs because he was the best player and scored 5 less goals in 16 playoff games then he had in 49 games during the regular season. He went from a .67 ppg this year which was a career high for him in the SHL to a 1.19 ppg in the playoffs. His shot/release is sick and he is willing to go to the dirty areas of the ice with/without the puck. Doesn't mean he's not skinny. The SHL is not a physical league compared to the NHL. He battles hard all the time but he is skinny and weak.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Is it just me or is the obsession over height and weight here out of control?

Please someone tell me it's not just me.

People arguing down to the inch of height and pound of weight.

Sometimes I don't know if I'm on a hockey board or weight watchers or victorias secret forum. all of which I frequent of course.

Seriously though, can the kid play hockey? I'd rather flip through 4 pages of that compared to 4 pages of how much he weighs and how tall he is.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I do agree. I think MT might be a bit too careful in that regard. Galchenyuk could've arguably been moved to top line C last year and let him work through his struggles.

The fact that DD's injury seems like the one thing that made Galchenyuk get that opportunity is definitely unnerving.

Still like it or not Galchenyuk's development hasn't been hampered. I was pissed off that it took so long for Ghetto to get top 6 opportunities but I think you're right. When you really look at it a lot of people are livid more or less because MT just doesn't gift wrap top 6 positions for prospects. He makes them work for it. It really isn't the worst thing in the world which is the way most people paint it.

I'm still not an MT fan and I do think he has his pets and it's annoying but I do think he's unfairly maligned in the development side of things.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Last year we were all looking for the next Tyler Johnson in our draftees. This year we are looking for the next Artemi Panarin. Obviously we can't compare any of these 3 players hehe but Artturi Lehkonen will play a couple of exhibitions games and the day he'll be returning to the Icecaps will tell us if he's in the early plans for the Habs.

His amazing playoff performances put him aheads of players like Hudon/Holloway/McCarron now. (Andrighetto/Carr are still ahead). His main rival is Daneault but I want to keep them both! :cry:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

Of course he has to perform better at camp, but I believe that the last two camps he was ailing, rather than underperforming.

Hoping that he does what he needs to do to be successful here.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I've only seen the highlights, which obviously don't show his whole game, but I'm not exactly floored. His shot's very good and he seems to be good at stealing pucks though. I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think he's quite as good as Hudon but I'm not qualified to say either way.

Lehkonen's game is one that you really have to appraise over a few careful viewings. Typically, players labeled with high hockey IQ are the playmakers who slow things down. Lehkonen doesn't really do that. He does make smart efficient plays that disrupt the opponent's efforts while furthering those of his own team. To add to it he has a lethal shot, and the ability to find the space to use it, which is pretty much the only aspect of his game that you get to see in a highlight reel.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
I see this signing as the end of Hudon with the club. I have a feeling he's getting traded now because Lehkonen is a slightly better version

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
People must temper their expectation. He wouldn't be the first interesting prospect to become a Juha Lind or a Peteri Nekoleinen.

We never know as he's still developping, but for now, I don't see what more he brings than what Habs already have.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
People must temper their expectation. He wouldn't be the first interesting prospect to become a Juha Lind or a Peteri Nekoleinen.

We never know as he's still developping, but for now, I don't see what more he brings than what Habs already have.

well.....

Hopefully he can provide some depth scoring from the third line.

that's about what we should expect. maybe if the planets are aligned and we meditate and align our Chakras to the universe (this part is obviously a joke) .....maybe he can develop into a 2nd line player with the right complimentary players. But a 3rd line of AL - Eller - Carr looks really good on paper.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Yes. How else would you describe being 26 lbs lighter than the league average?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Let's wait until he plays a game on NA ice before anointing him as our 3rd line LW going into next season. Personally, I still have Andrighetto and Hudon ahead on the depth chart. It's up to him to prove himself better than these two in training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad