Confirmed with Link: Leiweke new President of MLSE

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Tim Lieweke appointed President and CEO of MLSE (Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment) today.

Tim Leiweke has been appointed president and chief executive officer of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. He will officially take over the post on June 30.

“I’m honoured and excited to be chosen to lead MLSE, a world-class sports and entertainment organization with the major league teams, premier facilities and employee team that rank with the very best across North America and internationally,†Leiweke said in a press release. “MLSE is woven into the character of Toronto. The loyal and passionate fans of MLSE’s teams want sports championships for this great city. They want excitement on the ice, on the court, on the pitch and on the stage. And they want MLSE to be an active part of their community. I am committed to delivering for them when I begin my new role as CEO of MLSE.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mlse-hires-leiweke-as-new-presidentceo/

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
tumblr_mb6ix3MnPw1rhkyyso1_500.gif

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty amazing turnaround from a fan perspective:

- Butt of jokes for years (penny pincher, didn't care about winning, "lie weekly", etc.)

- Hires Dean with a blank check to build the team (maybe Leiweke doesn't suck... nah he still sucks)

- Team gets competitive; makes the playoffs 4 years straight; series of top trades and acquisitions; Leiweke is at every home game (he still sucks, sort of)

- Team wins Stanley Cup; We get treated to boatloads of behind the scenes videos showing how passionate he actually was about the team and how important it was to him to win (Hey, Leiweke is cool and cares after all)

- Now runs the largest hockey organization on the planet.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

- Butt of jokes for years (penny pincher, didn't care about winning, "lie weekly", etc.)

- Hires Dean with a blank check to build the team (maybe Leiweke doesn't suck... nah he still sucks)

- Team gets competitive; makes the playoffs 4 years straight; series of top trades and acquisitions; Leiweke is at every home game (he still sucks, sort of)

- Team wins Stanley Cup; We get treated to boatloads of behind the scenes videos showing how passionate he actually was about the team and how important it was to him to win (Hey, Leiweke is cool and cares after all)

For sure. Wish him all the best, thanks for the cup Tim!

Captain Mittens*

This isn't entirely true.

It's well documented how much he meddled with the roster during the Dave Taylor Era. So much so that Bobby Clarke warned DL against taking the job
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/14/sports/la-sp-elliott-kings-canucks-20100415

Tim didn't allow DL to do a complete rebuild when he first got here and instead insisted on a "rebuild while staying competitive" and we all know how that worked out

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The 2 sports radio stations here are all over this. We'll see what kind of impact he has on MLSE.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I have seen much speculation already that this is more about the Basketball and MLS side vs the Leafs. The Leafs have seemed to manage to right their ship. But the other two are not doing well at all. And the fact he has experience in both those other sports is huge. And he isn't too bad on the hockey side as well.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor130320.html

the 4th period is claiming that he blocked a Brown trade last year.

conjecture?

With who the source is I would say so. But there was a lot of talk last year about Brown at the deadline. I personally thought it was other teams asking about him, because what team in their right mind wouldn't want his toughness and leadership. But it could have been more. Unless once Leiweke and/or DL is done with their career and rights a book we might never know.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA

conjecture?

BS. Leiweke himself said on the Stanley Cup moments video that any trade involving a Captain had to come through him, and essentially that Brown had nothing to worry about. The impression that gave me was that there was no truth to the rumor. Leiweke didn't say he blocked a trade, and knowing Dean and how strong his desire is to re-sign Brown, that rumor is as smelly as they come.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I guess AEG doesn't really have to explain themselves about Liewike but geez, we just hoisted the Stanley Cup on his watch and they can't even wait until the Kings/Galaxy season is over to fire the guy? They don't legally need to disclose anything but it'd be nice if we could get some general explanation of why. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
While his name was out there during the deadline, I don't think the Kings were ever close to trading Brown.

The Kings improved when Leiweke (and his former henchman, Kevin Gilmore) stopped meddling in hockey operations and allowed a hockey mind to steer the ship.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

conjecture?

BS. Leiweke himself said on the Stanley Cup moments video that any trade involving a Captain had to come through him, and essentially that Brown had nothing to worry about. The impression that gave me was that there was no truth to the rumor. Leiweke didn't say he blocked a trade, and knowing Dean and how strong his desire is to re-sign Brown, that rumor is as smelly as they come.

I think they just misinterpreted the whole situation. Because he told Brown that he wasn't going to trade him, they just decided to run with it and said that he blocked him from (possibly) being traded. Just poorly worded.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I always thought Leiweke was passionate about winning, it just took him a while to realize that he should take a more hands off approach and let the hockey people do what they do best.

I wish him luck in his new position, he may need it. The Leafs are a tweener team, not likely to be good enough to compete for a cup, but not bad enough to get a total rebuild started any time soon.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

It's well documented how much he meddled with the roster during the Dave Taylor Era. So much so that Bobby Clarke warned DL against taking the job
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/14/sports/la-sp-elliott-kings-canucks-20100415

Tim didn't allow DL to do a complete rebuild when he first got here and instead insisted on a "rebuild while staying competitive" and we all know how that worked out

Yeah, I think Dean played him a little bit and when the first season was a total bust, he went in and said, "Now are you ready to do it my way?"

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.

HA! ... from the link ...
Bobby Clarke (sic) told me to be careful because he wasn't sure whether they'd stick through what had to be done because of their reputation," Lombardi said, referring to the Kings' habit of ditching rebuilding plans, reversing course and getting nowhere.

Ummm yeah ...
user6133_pic34477_1326494238.jpg
... Cater, Richards, Van Riemsdyk, Bobrovsky all are laughing their ***** off at this I bet. :)

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
HA! ... from the link ...

Ummm yeah ...
user6133_pic34477_1326494238.jpg
... Cater, Richards, Van Riemsdyk, Bobrovsky all are laughing their ***** off at this I bet. :)

I was shocked at this comment but to be fair, it's Holmgren and Snider who are responsible for all of the above.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
With who the source is I would say so. But there was a lot of talk last year about Brown at the deadline. I personally thought it was other teams asking about him, because what team in their right mind wouldn't want his toughness and leadership. But it could have been more. Unless once Leiweke and/or DL is done with their career and rights a book we might never know.

From what I heard, it was pure speculation by scouts at a game that started it all. It was right around the time the Carter/Nash to LA rumors were swirling and someone brought up Brown's name as a part of a speculated deal to get one of those two. Well, someone passed this on to Bob McKenzie and the whole thing blew up. Once his name was put out there, teams started calling. To me, this is probably how most trade rumors start, even though most end up going nowhere.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I guess AEG doesn't really have to explain themselves about Liewike but geez, we just hoisted the Stanley Cup on his watch and they can't even wait until the Kings/Galaxy season is over to fire the guy? They don't legally need to disclose anything but it'd be nice if we could get some general explanation of why. It just doesn't sit well with me.

His leaving has more to do with the NFL deal than anything else. He put so much work into that deal, only to have uncle Phil walk away because he couldnt control the stadium and team.Anshutz isnt used to having someone control one of his property's, and that's exactly what the NFL does when you own a team. Once Leiweke was let go, Anshutz started showing up at laker and clipper games, making himself very public, something he's never done since AEG moved in.

Could this have been a power struggle between Anschutz and Leiweke ? Leiweke held a ton of power in the sports world and especially LA, and maybe Anschutz felt he had too much control over everything. Wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad