Leivo, 1st impressions are the most lasting.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've been watching Leivo more closely than any other player during his past two games and, I have to say I am very impressed overall. He seems to have excellent vision, pass and hockey IQ. I have noted that he seems tentative or reluctant to take a shot and at times he seems to be over thinking where he should be on the ice. His skating although not exceptional by any means is NHL level but as I said before he has vision that more than makes up for this. I think he could play the body a little harder as well but at the end of the day, I don't see anything that would hold him back from taking on a role with this team.

I'd like for him to shoot more and calm down a little as well as be bumped up to a top 6 role. Play the body and try and get himself on the board.

What are your thoughts?

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I've been watching Leivo more closely than any other player during his past two games and, I have to say I am very impressed overall. He seems to have excellent vision, pass and hockey IQ. I have noted that he seems tentative or reluctant to take a shot and at times he seems to be over thinking where he should be on the ice. His skating although not exceptional by any means is NHL level but as I said before he has vision that more than makes up for this. I think he could play the body a little harder as well but at the end of the day, I don't see anything that would hold him back from taking on a role with this team.

I'd like for him to shoot more and calm down a little as well as be bumped up to a top 6 role. Play the body and try and get himself on the board.

What are your thoughts?

Wouldn't his first impression be from the first time he was up?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's definitely a guy I'd like to see on the 3rd line. Given an actual role and continue to develop in the NHL.

Considering JVR is out until after the deadline, I think Leivo has made the jump to the NHL for good.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's definitely a guy I'd like to see on the 3rd line. Given an actual role and continue to develop in the NHL.

Considering JVR is out until after the deadline, I think Leivo has made the jump to the NHL for good.

I would like to see him in a top 6 because its not often you can load test a player. Perhaps next game and if he settles at 3rd line that's good news for us as well.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
i think he'd benefit from some more time on the 3rd line, hes up for a limited time im guessing (until JVR or Spaling come back or could stay up if we off load multiple forwards at the deadline) so might as well see what he can do. not like this teams in it to win it or anything.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Laine
Timashov
Leivo
Leipsic

Wouldn't be a bad 4 down the left side moving forward :naughty:

champs*

if you like Leivo and you should! wait until this russian dude Nikita Soshnikov comes up!! you will love him!! scores more points on the third line than he does on the first line! He is the next marlie that will become a regular leaf along with Leivo.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Laine - Stamkos - Marner
Timashov - Nylander - Johnson/Kapanen
Leivo - Kadri - Brown
Komarov- Gauthier - Soshnikov

Wouldn't be a bad 4 down the left side moving forward :naughty:

Just fixed the whole line for you. Also took out leips, as I feel Komarov is better than anything leipsic could become

So Truculent

Da Real MVP
Jun 30, 2011
Leafs Nation
is JVR's foot injury career ending? why am I not seeing him on the left side of any of your lines lol considering it came out today management has made it known he is not on the market

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He definitely did not look out of place taking a regular shift and on the power play unit. He brings a combination of speed, skill, and grit.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Needs to relax, otherwise he's a solid complimentary top 6 winger. Probably won't remain that once our more talented prospects arrive but for the rest of this year and next he should be putting in the time to make a good impression to stay long term.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
With a four game losing skid and Matthias and Grabner now running stagnant, I sense a potential top six opportunity for Leivo, too.

I'm impressed with his play to say the least. He needs to play with someone that has the hockey IQ to handle a no look pass at speed.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
With a four game losing skid and Matthias and Grabner now running stagnant, I sense a potential top six opportunity for Leivo, too.

I'm impressed with his play to say the least. He needs to play with someone that has the hockey IQ to handle a no look pass at speed.

Like to see Soshnikov called up and see how he does with Leivo.
We need to move a body or 2.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think I can take watching Grabner and Matthias in the top 6 anymore.

Leivo couldn't possibly do any worst. His shot alone would be a massive upgrade over Matthias and Grabner.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Already one of the best forcheckers along the boards on the team. Deserves to be up from now on, at least as a complimentary winger on the 3/4 lines. We haven't got to see his great shot this time around yet, but it's early and you can see him getting into that slot, stick down ready for the pass on the PP. he won't need a lot of time to get his NHL shot off either. At trade deadline, when they trade PA or Grabner, or Boyes, he will have a spot for sure.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Already one of the best forcheckers along the boards on the team. Deserves to be up from now on, at least as a complimentary winger on the 3/4 lines. We haven't got to see his great shot this time around yet, but it's early and you can see him getting into that slot, stick down ready for the pass on the PP. he won't need a lot of time to get his NHL shot off either. At trade deadline, when they trade PA or Grabner, or Boyes, he will have a spot for sure.

On the PP he was open for a 1timer and was overlooked by Jake I believe. I was really hoping for that shot right there, he was the best option from my vantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad