News Article: Leino likes his new linemate- Expresses instant chemistry with Grigs

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=12909&navid=DL|BUF|home

The Sabres’ first pick (12th overall) in last June’s NHL Entry Draft had three quality scoring chances in Monday’s scrimmage at First Niagara Center, and was dishing passes as quickly as his jerseys were flying out of the Sabres Store. (The team store sold out of the 50 in-stock Grigorenko jerseys by mid-day Monday, and took orders for 100 more by the end of the game.) Grigorenko even drew the loudest ovation from the 10,175 fans in attendance at the scrimmage when he was introduced during the shootout.

Ville Leino is manning the right wing on Grigorenko’s line, with newcomer Steve Ott on the port side. Even after just a few days on the ice together, Leino already likes what he sees out of the crafty 18-year-old.

“He’s pretty calm with the puck, sees the ice well. A lot of young guys are a little nervous and they make fast decisions,†explains Leino. “But he’s able to hang on the puck a little bit, make a good play and give time to the other players.

When asked who he’d compare Grigorenko to, it didn’t take long for Leino to come up with a name.

“He would be awful tough to compare with Pavel Datsyuk because he’s one of the best players, that I would say, ever played. But he’s definitely got some of that playmaking ability that guys like (Henrik) Zetterberg and Datsyuk have.â€

Good to hear such high regards for our potential steal.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
They certainly looked great together in practice today.
I like the comparison to the Leino-Briere-Hartnell line.

Grig can be the Briere to that line (which I know is ALOT to ask for) and Ott can be compared to Hartnell as the grit of that line.

If we get some of the production comparable to that line I will be thrilled.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
They certainly looked great together in practice today.

Boy, wouldn't that be something! If Leino who is (for all intents and purposes) hanging on as a Sabre, (some would argue) has awesome chemistry with the rookie and Leino has a very good year. And in return he helps Grigorenko have a solid rookie year. Would Leino be moved then? Hmmmm....

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Boy, wouldn't that be something! If Leino who is (for all intents and purposes) hanging on as a Sabre, (some would argue) has awesome chemistry with the rookie and Leino has a very good year. And in return he helps Grigorenko have a solid rookie year. Would Leino be moved then? Hmmmm....

One thing I can say about Leino today is he was working on his stickhandling, passing and shooting CONSTANTLY during practice. He had one of the assistants passing with him or setting him up for one timers or coming in on Miller working on deke moves. He was doing this during water breaks, during any down time and then for another 25-30mins after practice.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If both Leino and Grigorenko had success playing together I would see no reason to get rid of Leino... But first he has to produce in the regular season and atleast double his output from last year. Even if he does, you wish you would get more then ~55 points for 4.5 million per over 6 years.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
If both Leino and Grigorenko had success playing together I would see no reason to get rid of Leino... But first he has to produce in the regular season and atleast double his output from last year. Even if he does, you wish you would get more then ~55 points for 4.5 million per over 6 years.

I would argue that around 55 points playing on the 3rd line is fair-good production for 4.5M

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
55 points would be great production from him IMO, he put up 53 points playing with Briere, so hard to expect more than that. He pretty much maid most of his money from being hot in the playoffs though.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I would argue that around 55 points playing on the 3rd line is fair-good production for 4.5M

Especially as a UFA which is inherently skewed value-wise. If we get 55 points from Leino on this specific line (and whatever PP time contributes to it), I'm thrilled at this point and I definitely keep him until there's a better replacement (which is true for any player).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
One thing I can say about Leino today is he was working on his stickhandling, passing and shooting CONSTANTLY during practice. He had one of the assistants passing with him or setting him up for one timers or coming in on Miller working on deke moves. He was doing this during water breaks, during any down time and then for another 25-30mins after practice.

That's great to hear. It's at least nice to know he's really working to improve from last year's poor showing. Hopefully he and Grigs can build off their chemistry and help each other out this season. I'd love to see Grigorenko and Leino lighting it up together just for the lolz, since they both have quite a few haters.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Having both of them be productive on the same line would be massive for this team.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Having both of them be productive on the same line would be massive for this team.

Yeah, if Grigs can make Leino worth his contract, that alone is worth keeping Grigs up for the entire season. Plus Ott can take faceoffs if need be (though the fact that Grigs is working on them is really encouraging).

But the chances of that line staying together for long--whether due to injury, or Ruff--isn't all that great.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
The line seems to make sense on paper and it looked like they did pretty well in the scrimmage getting chances for each other, the one that hit Grigo's skates probably should've been a goal. It also really helps them that they'll almost always get good matchups with top pairs focusing on the other two lines. I'm kind of a Ville Leino apologist, I don't think he was the absolute worst ever last year, but it would be awesome if we could get the motivated version of him.. and from all accounts he's working pretty hard right now.

Random question - when Leino had his 21 points in 19 game playoff run, was he playing on the Hartnell-Briere line? I know Philly fans loved that line, just curious if that's where he had his best success.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
Oooh, this is exciting. Rolling 3 lines that are all dangerous would be ideal. If Grigs can step up.... oh baby.

My thoughts exactly. The fourth line of Scott/McCormick/Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta makes it just that much more better..

As somemone mentioned wouldn't that be something if Leino got it going, whom would then be the first candidate for the buy-out??

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
My thoughts exactly. The fourth line of Scott/McCormick/Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta makes it just that much more better..

As somemone mentioned wouldn't that be something if Leino got it going, whom would then be the first candidate for the buy-out??

They might not have to buy anyone out. I suppose if they really wanted to, McCormick maybe.

As it stands, the Sabres will have ~14M cap space under the lowered cap next season with Hodgson, Leopold, Regehr, and Enroth as the only non-small cap hits FA. Ellis, Scott, Hecht, Sulzer, Weber, Pardy, Brennan, Tropp and Adam are the other FAs, but none of them (if resigned) will get more than 1M, if that. Very doable, esp if Leopold and/or Regehr is replaced by the pipeline (McNabb, Brennan, Pysyk) which frees up even more money, and you've got Armia/Grigs on ELCs.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY

It'd be huge. Both have a huge chance of helping one another out.

Leino's the type of player that NEEDS some good chemistry with his linemates to be successful. In turn, for bringing out the best in him, he brings out the best in who plays with him as well. If he's got the right center, he goes off. He and Briere were on totally the same page and Leino succeeded. If he can get that comfortable with Grigorenko, I can see the two of them both doing well because of one another. Ott just brings even more balance and tenacity to that line and the three of them could combine to be a really good mix of everything: skill, scoring, and some feistiness. It's all about bringing together guys that will click. If Grigorenko makes it, it'd be huge for not only him but could be for Leino too and to a lesser extent Ott (not as concerned with Ott clicking, as he seems to play his own kind of game and can mesh pretty well with all sorts of types of players since his game is pretty unique and valuable on any line you can make). Leino could be the one benefiting the most and for Ville, that'd be a great thing considering he's not really been consistent here so far. Grigorenko makes it and the chemistry is there, I expect a little magic for both him and Leino. That's how good Leino can be when he's on the right page.

Did anyone else read that ALL 50 Grigorenko jerseys that were in stock at the Sabres Store sold within just hours yesterday morning and 100 MORE were ordered? Truly remarkable how Girgorenko fever is hitting Buffalo. Last week, I figured we'd just send Grigorenko back and just go with Hecht centering the third line this year and wait until next year but if I had to bet my life savings, judging by the chemistry he's already shown with Leino and some of the others, I'd say he's making it and won't go back. Really exciting.

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
Leno has only scored more than 10 goals once in his career. I would not expect him to all of the sudden become a good scorer even with a great playmaker.

Besides Lieno has also talked about how he has a problem with Lindy Ruffs system.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Leno has only scored more than 10 goals once in his career. I would not expect him to all of the sudden become a good scorer even with a great playmaker.

Besides Lieno has also talked about how he has a problem with Lindy Ruffs system.

Third time's the charm.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013

Third time's the charm.

Third time's a charm for what? I don't get it. For Leyno?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad