Post-Game Talk: Lehtonen stands on his head, Stars end our winning streak in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Crawford had a pretty bad game.
I also noticed that Dallas had four or five breakaways. Probably the worst defensive performance in a sub-20 shots allowed game you'll see.
Pretty bizarre night.

Word.

Tonight our dmen weren't the greatest, but over the course of the year I think our defensemen have been stellar. Crawford has been at least average, but in my opinion our team defense is suffering because our forward in-zone defensive coverage and responsibility has been embarrassing. The few times Dallas was able to set up in the zone they had guys open all over the place. We don't extend very well, we don't pressure the puck on the perimeter as we should, and we are woeful at clearing pucks out of harm's way.

The sad thing is I think our forwards are usally good at backchecking and are solid in the neutral zone. What's your take on this Chris (curious because I always like your opinion).

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Aren't moderators supposed to be on soap boxes well....because...they are moderators?

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
Seriously guys, losses happen.

Yeah, the sky is falling after coming off a seven game road trip winning six, losing a game we pretty much dominated.

Dallas took our mistakes and made us pay for each one but we outplayed them for the most part so lets back away from the ledge or in our case according to the rest of HF boards... Stay on the wagon.

I'm a moderator.

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for what could have been and you curse the Hawks. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Crawford's play, while tragic, probably wins games. And his play, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties you want him in net. You need him in net. He uses words like honor, code, loyalty. He uses these words as the backbone of a life spent playing for something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very wins that he provides, and then questions the manner in which he provides them. I would rather you just say thank you and be on your way.

It's Gettin' Deep :)

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I'm a moderator.

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for what could have been and you curse the Hawks. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Crawford's play, while tragic, probably wins games. And his play, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties you want him in net. You need him in net. He uses words like honor, code, loyalty. He uses these words as the backbone of a life spent playing for something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very wins that he provides, and then questions the manner in which he provides them. I would rather you just say thank you and be on your way.

Did you order the code red. DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Youtube A Few Good Men. Everything will make way more sense.

As to what Zac is saying... Outside of the Vancouver game, our team defense has been meh. A bunch of individual efforts. Rozi has regressed while Brookbank has been playing considerably better. We've won 6-5 games as well as 2-1 games regularly for a reason. This team is stacked and built to win in a number of ways. Depth will do that.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
For all the *****ing about how crappy Crow was, the dude made some big saves. Unfortunately, this board can only be doom and gloom and never praise the positivity from our club.

That's called a goalie win. If the Hawks get 50 shots every game, they'll win the Presidents' Trophy with relative ease. Obviously, that won't happen.

I'd also like to wish Antoine Rousell a ****** rest of the season. He's a Max Lapierre clown. He's going to bite someone's finger soon.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Word.

Tonight our dmen weren't the greatest, but over the course of the year I think our defensemen have been stellar. Crawford has been at least average, but in my opinion our team defense is suffering because our forward in-zone defensive coverage and responsibility has been embarrassing. The few times Dallas was able to set up in the zone they had guys open all over the place. We don't extend very well, we don't pressure the puck on the perimeter as we should, and we are woeful at clearing pucks out of harm's way.

The sad thing is I think our forwards are usally good at backchecking and are solid in the neutral zone. What's your take on this Chris (curious because I always like your opinion).

Outside of Roszival (although he's been better lately), I agree that the defensemen have been pretty good. Especially Keith.

I'd agree that most of the defensive struggles are because the forwards aren't anywhere near as effective defensively as they were last year. Just a quick example that comes to mind is Sharp's multiple fly-by's tonight... he was doing it all night. And that's a player that's supposed to be one of the better two-way guys on the roster. The only forwards who have consistently been good in their own end are the two guys everyone (rightfully) props up for just that - Toews and Hossa. Otherwise it's been a mix of inconsistency, laziness, inattentiveness, whatever word you want to use.

I'm not particularly concerned, though. I'm pretty thrilled with how well the Hawks have played this year so far - I expected the short summer and having just won the Cup to sap at their energy and motivation. Doesn't look like that's the case. I think the defensive issues will get cleaned up in time for the games that matter.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I didn't see half the third period, but I thought the Hawks played outstanding outside of a pretty sloppy 1st period. They were the better team tonight, but the best team doesn't always win in hockey. Lehtonen played well for Dallas, but it seemed like a lot of pucks just hit him. If the Hawks got a couple of there chances in one of the corners a couple times, they probably would have won the game.

And the first penalty shot against Crawford, in his NHL career, that I miss.. is the first one he's scored against on. Sigh.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Youtube A Few Good Men. Everything will make way more sense.

As to what Zac is saying... Outside of the Vancouver game, our team defense has been meh. A bunch of individual efforts. Rozi has regressed while Brookbank has been playing considerably better. We've won 6-5 games as well as 2-1 games regularly for a reason. This team is stacked and built to win in a number of ways. Depth will do that.

Rozi is the one guy who's playing worse (edit). Keith is on par while Seabs in >>>>>> than he has been the past 4 years (best he's played since the first half of our first cup run). Oduya and Hammer have been solid, while Leddy has been fantastic. Our pairings have played great but our forwards are just killing our defense. Everything bad about what they do is on full display on every PK.

Once the puck is set in the zone (because we are so good in the neutral zone and are a puck possession team this doesn't happen a ton) we are the easiest team to play against in the NHL. Extension and perimeter aggression would thwart a lot of our problems before they start.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
For all the *****ing about how crappy Crow was, the dude made some big saves. Unfortunately, this board can only be doom and gloom and never praise the positivity from our club.

That's called a goalie win. If the Hawks get 50 shots every game, they'll win the Presidents' Trophy with relative ease. Obviously, that won't happen.

I'd also like to wish Antoine Rousell a ****** rest of the season. He's a Max Lapierre clown. He's going to bite someone's finger soon.

Crawford had a rough night. It's not unfair to expect better than that from him, but bad games are going to happen. Agreed that the few who are getting on him are going over the top.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Roszival (although he's been better lately), I agree that the defensemen have been pretty good. Especially Keith.

I'd agree that most of the defensive struggles are because the forwards aren't anywhere near as effective defensively as they were last year. Just a quick example that comes to mind is Sharp's multiple fly-by's tonight... he was doing it all night. And that's a player that's supposed to be one of the better two-way guys on the roster. The only forwards who have consistently been good in their own end are the two guys everyone (rightfully) props up for just that - Toews and Hossa. Otherwise it's been a mix of inconsistency, laziness, inattentiveness, whatever word you want to use.

I'm not particularly concerned, though. I'm pretty thrilled with how well the Hawks have played this year so far - I expected the short summer and having just won the Cup to sap at their energy and motivation. Doesn't look like that's the case. I think the defensive issues will get cleaned up in time for the games that matter.

On the overall I am too. I hope the forward issues will be cleared up, but there have been easily identifiable and correctable problems left unattended in the past so I guess we'll see.

Having far and away the best forecheck and transition game in the NHL will mask a lot of problems. It also allows comeback like this to happen and with such regularity, even if we don't finish it off.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Did Zac just complement Seabrook..?

What is this?

Seabrook has been outstanding this year (and should be in serious consideration for team Canada at this point). I don't know if his weight is down or if he recommitted himself, but I haven't seen him consistently play this good since the first half of 09-10.

I still think Q is an idiot and makes way to many (obvious) coaching blunders if that makes you feel any better. :laugh::yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad