Lehtera vs Backes Offensively

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Based on this season alone, Lehtera. Dude has been great.

That being said, Backes gets the defensive minutes, is a notoriously slow starter, and most importantly is not playing with Frank.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Vastly different offensive playstyles. Lehtera is a much better passer and possesses much better vision and creativity with the puck than Backes ever has. Backes is a bit better of a shooter and much stronger around the goalmouth and in the low slot.Hard to really compare, especially since we have yet to see a full season of Lehtera.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Based on this season alone, Lehtera. Dude has been great.

That being said, Backes gets the defensive minutes, is a notoriously slow starter, and most importantly is not playing with Frank.
This.

Backes has accomplished much more offensively in this league. Lehtera is 24 games into his career.

That said, I dont hesitate to say Schwartz, Tarasenko >>> Backes, so I guess for me it doesnt take much more than a 100 games to go ahead and make that call.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lehtera definitely has more skill offensively, but they also do things differently.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I keep hearing that Lehtera's skating speed is deficient for the NHL. Every game I watch, I see him getting to the spots to make plays. Can he skate or not? Either his hockey IQ is so good that he always knows where he needs to be or his skating is better than reported. I like this kid, he's a keeper.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lehterä's skating is hard to read..... he looks like he's laboring when he's getting up ice, he physically looks slow yet he's always in position. After his hat trick he was flat out hustling on a few shifts. Alot more explosive then I have ever seen out of him.

To sum it up.... I don't have the slightest clue lol. I think he has another gear or 2 that he doesn't really hit unless he has to

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Lehtera's skating used to be significantly worse. Backes' too, for that matter. It was one of the biggest knocks against both of them when they were drafted.

Neither will ever be considered a burner, but they've both improved a good deal in that area.

MaskedMan7117

Dec 2, 2014
Way to different to compare. Backes does most of his damage behind the scenes by playing smart, physical hockey. His ability to take people out of the play and free up ice is astounding.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Glad we don't have to choose for a while. With these two and a renewed Stastny, it really is "pick your poison" (or will be once Pauly gets it in gear).

RR10*

Lehtera. Playmaker, better passer, vision, skill. It's not a good comparison because they are different players with different roles.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Depends on role u put them in. If u had to choose between lehtera or backes to QB a powerplay i go lehtera 10/10 times. If i had to choose someone to stand in front and screen the goalie and battle with big defensemen i choose backes. But for 5 on 5 play with the combination of lehteras vision, hands, playmaking ability and just pure hockey instinct to read plays and be in the right place in the time, I would assume he'd put up more points than backes if they shared equal ice time against equal competition. Tho on the other side we may give up a few less goals with backes out there than lehtera but again, as panger loves to point out every game, lehtera is no slouch defensively and plays a man's 200 ft game.

OCTA8ON*

Lehtera. Playmaker, better passer, vision, skill. It's not a good comparison because they are different players with different roles.

You can compare the overall value of 2 different players with 2 different playing styles.

If you haven't noticed, the vast majority of comparisons made on hfboards are between players who don't play the same style.

For example, if you go look on the main boards right now, you'll probably see an Ovechkin vs. Backstrom thread. Obviously, they play 2 different styles, but that doesn't mean you can't determine who has more overall value.

Last edited by a moderator:

RR10*

You can compare the overall value of 2 different players with 2 different playing styles.

If you haven't noticed, the vast majority of comparisons made on hfboards are between players who don't play the same style.

For example, if you go look on the main boards right now, you'll probably see an Ovechkin vs. Backstrom thread. Obviously, they play 2 different styles, but that doesn't mean you can't determine who has more overall value.
I wrote that they are not comparable as players, didn't I? The question was who is better offensively: Lehtera.

Last edited by a moderator:

OCTA8ON*

I wrote that they are not comparable as players, didn't I? The question was who is better offensively: Lehtera.

If you cannot compare them as players, then how did you just conclude that Lehtera is better offensively? :shakehead

RR10*

If you cannot compare them as players, then how did you just conclude that Lehtera is better offensively? :shakehead
Because he is. You can't compare Crosby with Lapierre but you can still say Crosby is better offensively ;)

CaseyJones

Jul 17, 2014
I have to go with Backes here. Lehtera is a better playmaker and passer than Backes, and given the small sample size, produces more points. Given the large pool of "more controlled" data, we have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Backes. That being said, I would err on the side of experience, but I digress. Backes plays the tough game. He goes after those hotly contested pucks in the corner and digs away with the best of them. He's a lion on the forecheck and is usually found in front of the opponent's net causing general chaos. Backes does not give a single damn and will charge headfirst into the fray and get the job done. His presence as a drill sergeant and a leader of example is another quality worth mentioning here. Backes is awesome enough that he inspired a catch phrase around the house, "Honey Backes doesn't give a shiz!"

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Backes is a way better, mostly due to his forechecking and overall physicality. Lehtera has been surprisingly good at least pointwise, but remember lot of it comes from chemistry already exists, his season would look very different without Tarasenko. However i'm very happy for him for a great start.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Regarding Lehterä's skating, I found this to be kind of funny (and mindblowing that this could happen in a professional league) :

"I played last four years in Russia after my first year I went to [Finnish] national team and the equipment guy there told me I played the whole season with the same sharpening on my skates that the goalies had," Lehtera told NHL.com. "After that I hooked up with this guy in Finland and he gave me the sponsor so I can use these blades and he sharpens them for me."

"I was thinking the whole year when I was using the goalie sharpened blades that I was in bad shape, but I wasn't in bad shape," he said. "The next year I was skating so much better. My skating was really good the next year and then I realized it was the blades."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=33380

Lehterä's greatest ability is his playmaking, as reflected by the goal-assist ratios in his career. In fact, it is somewhat frustrating that he lacks the finishing skills great scorers have. It was kind of the subject of much face-palming during (the beginning of) last WHC and judging by the STL news feed he has made a "hero" of a few goalies in NHL already by not scoring on a great opportunity. I don't know if I'm being too harsh on him, though, as I haven't seen him play this season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wow, well I guess that explains why he had skating concerns and why I saw him improving in that area.

It was previously mentioned that he is now paranoid about his skates and still has the same person sharpen his skates even though he is now in St. Louis. It was something like that, can't remember the specifics.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Wow, well I guess that explains why he had skating concerns and why I saw him improving in that area.

It was previously mentioned that he is now paranoid about his skates and still has the same person sharpen his skates even though he is now in St. Louis. It was something like that, can't remember the specifics.

iirc, he has quite a few pairs, and sends them back with his family members who bring them back after they're sharpened

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And that 1st season in Russia was pretty much his only pro season of not being close to a ppg.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Regarding Lehterä's skating, I found this to be kind of funny (and mindblowing that this could happen in a professional league) :

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=33380

Lehterä's greatest ability is his playmaking, as reflected by the goal-assist ratios in his career. In fact, it is somewhat frustrating that he lacks the finishing skills great scorers have. It was kind of the subject of much face-palming during (the beginning of) last WHC and judging by the STL news feed he has made a "hero" of a few goalies in NHL already by not scoring on a great opportunity. I don't know if I'm being too harsh on him, though, as I haven't seen him play this season.

I can't say that his finishing ability has stood out poorly to me. He is obviously strong on play-making, but he's also finished a few opportunities his linemates have sent back to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad