Lehner required to cut stick by 2 inches

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Lehner, because he is only 6'5" and not 6'6" has been asked to cut his stick length down by 2 inches from 28" to 26". Apparently 6'6" and over a longer stick is allowed.

He was told halfway through training camp. He ordered the new sticks and just received them. Has not had a chance to use them yet. May be playing this weekend. Says now with the new stick he has to change his posture bending down more. He has been using his 28" stick for the last 5 years.

So a goaltender who is 5'11" can use the same size stick as he is allowed to use even though there is a 6" difference in height between them.

NHL:shakehead

Last edited:

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I feel like this is the sort of thing he should be able to take up with the league and get fixed because it's ridiculous. It'll alter his stance, which could be pretty devastating.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
he should be fine

also i doubt he plays in the back to back

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He won't be playing this weekend unless Anderson gets hurt. If they can make an exception for Chara, Lehner should try and get an exception too.

BS.

WhiteLight*

He won't be playing this weekend unless Anderson gets hurt. If they can make an exception for Chara, Lehner should try and get an exception too.

BS.

It's not BS as long as they have a good reason for it. As long as the 6'5 cut off is not random.

Sucks for him that he's been using it the 5 years, but players can't just have any equipment they want.

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
It's not BS as long as they have a good reason for it. As long as the 6'5 cut off is not random.

Sucks for him that he's been using it the 5 years, but players can't just have any equipment they want.
Of course it's random.

They should make it tiered. There is no reason to have a block as big as 5'11 to 6'5 all have the same maximum stick.

WhiteLight*

Of course it's random.

They should make it tiered. There is no reason to have a block as big as 5'11 to 6'5 all have the same maximum stick.

So Gary Bettman the least athletic person on the planet just picked the 6'5 cut off at random?

They must have been some expert involved, hopefully a good one, that determined that only people who are 6'6 or taller needed extensions.

The point of all players having the same size stick is to not give one an advantage with reach over the other. Hopefully some expert determined that 6'5 goalies are not biomechanically disadvantaged in their stance with this stick length compared to shorter goalies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The length of a stick matters to a goalie as he has to adjust his posture to keep the blade on the ice.

It doesn't sound like much, but 2 inches makes a difference. Playing goal with a stick that's too short is pretty much a guarantee that your back is going to ache at the end of the game.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
It's not really the lenght of the stick but the lenght of the paddle that he's talking about. Makes a huge difference.

I'm 5'9'' and I use a 26'' paddle. I have no idea how Lehner will be using the same lenght as I am using, while being 7'' taller.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
I would be livid. A 26" stick is far too short for a 6'5" goalie, I'm 6'3" and it'd drive me nuts.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's not really the lenght of the stick but the lenght of the paddle that he's talking about. Makes a huge difference.

I'm 5'9'' and I use a 26'' paddle. I have no idea how Lehner will be using the same lenght as I am using, while being 7'' taller.

That's what Im wondering, is he just going to cut a couple inches of the edge of the stick, or is he going to have to use a shorter paddle?

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
That's what Im wondering, is he just going to cut a couple inches of the edge of the stick, or is he going to have to use a shorter paddle?

It's definitely the paddle he's talking about.

I don't even know why the NHL have a say regarding the lenght of paddles. I'm a butterfly goalie and I like a longer paddle (26'') to fit my style better. It doesn't really cover more unless you're in a paddle-down stance. Ridiculous if you ask me.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Good to note that it also changes the positioning of your blocker when in butterfly as well as when standing up. He's going to have to readjust a lot of stuff in his various stances.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
Didn't think it was a big deal initially, but after reading posts from goalies in this thread...eeep

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is a huge deal - my son is 5'10" on a good day, and even he uses a 27" paddle. Heck, at the younger levels you are seeing some goalies going to 28" paddles now.

rbkhockey29

May 3, 2007
Maryland
Stupid rule, paddle height shouldn't matter one bit. If they want to be stupid make them cut down the shaft. Only thing a longer paddle does is position the blocker higher.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
This is a huge deal - my son is 5'10" on a good day, and even he uses a 27" paddle. Heck, at the younger levels you are seeing some goalies going to 28" paddles now.

Exactly, I especially like a longer paddle when I'm in a butterfly (fits better with my glove positioning when I'm down).

I don't understand how a goalie 7 inches taller than me is supposed to use the same lenght as I use.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
i have one of lehner's old sticks that's longer, i'll lend it to him if he needs it.

The name stamp on the stick is "The Lehner"

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Stupid rule, paddle height shouldn't matter one bit. If they want to be stupid make them cut down the shaft. Only thing a longer paddle does is position the blocker higher.

I do not know anything technical about goalies. If the paddle is cut down, does that open the five hole more?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
guys calm down, im sure he can get an exception from the league, maybe theyll only lower it by an inch or something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad