Lehner is starting to Giver?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Lehner has not been great. But last night our team got walked on multiple occasions. That last goal against Lehner proves that we were not engaged at all against the other team. The team is acting like a bunch of *****

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Not sure how the coach will deal with Lehner reaction at the end of the game, breaking his stick while looking at his teammates. A competitive guy can get emotional when losing a game, but from there to do what he did after yesterday's day simply shows that he can not contain his emotion.

So did Patrick Roy. I like it. This team needs some fire.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Add the name Billy Smith to the list for us old timers. You definitely did not want to be near him if you made a mistake that lead to a goal. He did alright, as long as 4 cups in a row makes the grade.

Yep.

A goalie breaking a stick after a loss is hardly worth worrying about from a fan's perspective. I'm totally fine seeing emotions on display after a loss, especially out a player from the game's most notoriously insane position.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I said long ago that Lehner had an attitude problem and it's really starting to surface more. I really hope he is dealt and Murray builds around Andy. He is our best shot at a cup.

ChabotToTrot

Jul 22, 2011
Ottawa
Quite the contrary actually, Lehner's 'attitude' problem has regressed immensely since we drafted him, from the freak out at the ref in the WJC, him bumping Poulin while getting off against the islanders, then him fighting in the AHL. You think him breaking his stick is the tipping point? You know who else in the modern era breaks their sticks in frustration whether it be in practice or in a game? Every goalie in the NHL, Rask and Smith do it regularly, even Price does it often

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Quite the contrary actually, Lehner's 'attitude' problem has regressed immensely since we drafted him, from the freak out at the ref in the WJC, him bumping Poulin while getting off against the islanders, then him fighting in the AHL. You think him breaking his stick is the tipping point? You know who else in the modern era breaks their sticks in frustration whether it be in practice or in a game? Every goalie in the NHL, Rask and Smith do it regularly, even Price does it often

They are also good goalies, #1 goalies, team MVP type players... Not backup goalies...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This is being blown out of proportion big time, imo. Some of the best goalies in the league get frustrated and do similar things (breaking sticks, ect). If he went off in the room and started criticizing the team that would be one thing, but we're all reading too much into an innocent action taken while he was clearly angry/frustrated (which he should be).

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why is this city so scared of emotion?

He SHOULD be pissed off and embarrassed and angry. Good for him!

There are positive ways to deal with frustration and ones that lead to discord within the ranks

Him throwing the stick isn't a big deal but it's not something you want the coaching staff to ignore

That's all there is to it: the coaching staff told him not to do it again and Lehner agreed (while not apologizing) which is fine and what you would expect out of an emotional guy playing for a team having yet another bad year

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This is being blown out of proportion big time, imo. Some of the best goalies in the league get frustrated and do similar things (breaking sticks, ect). If he went off in the room and started criticizing the team that would be one thing, but we're all reading too much into an innocent action taken while he was clearly angry/frustrated (which he should be).

My problem is not so much Lehner's frustrations it's more his response after showing frustartion. He has a hard time getting out of a funk. Those other guys come out with a strong effort more times than not following an incident. Lehner, not so much.

Lehner's season can be broken into two parts this year. First 11 games, .916 sv%. Last ten games, .889 sv%.

Last season: First 17 games, .930 sv%. Last 19 games .898 sv%. Lehner had a strech of 14 games where he had .876 sv% and finally got out of it, posting a .948 sv% in his final 5 games.

Last edited:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I wonder if Lehner struggles with focus or something. Purely observations (i.e. unreliable) but he seems to shine when he gets a lot of games and struggles when he does not play regularly. Especially prolonged stretches where he doesn't get a lot of games and his play kind of erodes over time.

He's let in some goals recently where he just seems to be out of sync - like not being square to the shooter and fighting off some easier shots. I hope he gets the bulk of work the rest of the way for development purposes.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Melynk is crying in his beer down in Barbados seeing those expensive goalie sticks turn into tinder.

I was given a bundle of Ray Emery's goalie sticks when he was traded and I'm down to the last one of the batch. I forgot how freakin' expensive goalie sticks were when I had to go buy one as a back-up...

As for Lehner, who cares? He broke a stick. Frustration happens. Not his fault the powerplay is abysmal and he's got a pretty mediocre goalie coach.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I said long ago that Lehner had an attitude problem and it's really starting to surface more. I really hope he is dealt and Murray builds around Andy. He is our best shot at a cup.

I think its just natural to be frustrated when things aren't going well. The stick thing really is no big deal.. it was completely a heat of the moment thing...besides I know Anderson definitely has shown flashes of frustration since he;s been here as well. I can recall him criticizing the team after a few losses last season . I really dont think its a big deal and if this team gets rattled by some 23 year old's outward frustrations once in a while than we are officially the most mentally fragile team in the league

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
YLRvedJ.png

lol I love it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad