News Article: Lehner goes into detail about his time in Buffalo

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Theres literally zero evidence that shows ADR is better or his playing career.
I understand that the procedure has not been tried on a hockey player. It is not experimental however. And it replaces the disk with an artificial one that functions similarly - full movement, etc. A fusion by its very nature limits mobility and also typically doesn't result in a pain free solution thru one's entire lifespan, especially for a 25 year old. Both procedures can be helpful but the replacement surgery has a higher ceiling - both short term and long term. After listening to the surgeons in the know discuss the options I came away convinced that the replacement surgery is the best option. Some may reach the opposite conclusion, but it clearly is NOT correct to say there is zero evidence that ADR is better.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My money is on Risto comparing the coaching he gets in Philly to what he went through here. And fans that have complained about the horrible coaching hires of late will bash Risto and blame him for being hot trash and turn a blind eye to legit critiques.
What?

Risto was bad for most of his time as a Sabre and was constantly ripped on here. I know because I defended him from time to time when he wasn’t bad. Any criticism going forward would be a continuation of the same.

Most also ripped the coaching over the last several years. I can’t imagine many will start singing its praises

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Remember: Our medical staff did a fine job with Tage:
b2d0964d7458425d7a4a9f75b68781b0.jpg

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Lehner’s comments are nothing to get too bent out of shape about.

-His comments about his treatment seem accurate since the guy responsible was fired along with the staff he brought in.

-His comment about playing here and how the arena was by the end is sadly accurate. Though a little better self awareness on his role in that would be nice.

The thing thats annoying about this is the rush by reporters, hockey twitter, etc to get his comments out there as if they mean something. They don’t.

They seem to be trying to frame it as if the Jack thing is a continuation of what went on back then. The guy advising the Sabres on the surgery Jack wants is IIRC one of the pioneers involved with creating it. The folks involved with Lehner’s issues are all gone. But I doubt that context is getting out there as much as the clickbait.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What?

Risto was bad for most of his time as a Sabre and was constantly ripped on here. I know because I defended him from time to time when he wasn’t bad. Any criticism going forward would be a continuation of the same.

Most also ripped the coaching over the last several years. I can’t imagine many will start singing its praises

But plenty of fans will rip Risto if he says that anything in Philly is better than here. Coaching, cheese steaks, whatever.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Play better and you won’t get booed, I can motherf***ing promise you that. Tired of this clown.

You were f***ing atrocious here - the long list of reasons why is irrelevant. We overpaid for him, he underperformed (absolutely sucked), he left and it was everyone else’s fault that stoppable pucks from desirable areas routinely beat him. These are all facts.
This, this is not it lol

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I understand that the procedure has not been tried on a hockey player. It is not experimental however. And it replaces the disk with an artificial one that functions similarly - full movement, etc. A fusion by its very nature limits mobility and also typically doesn't result in a pain free solution thru one's entire lifespan, especially for a 25 year old. Both procedures can be helpful but the replacement surgery has a higher ceiling - both short term and long term. After listening to the surgeons in the know discuss the options I came away convinced that the replacement surgery is the best option. Some may reach the opposite conclusion, but it clearly is NOT correct to say there is zero evidence that ADR is better.
Theres like 100 surgeons who say fusion should be the only surgery on players who play contact sports. Im not talking about after hockey as I said.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Lehner seemed to correct the record over Twitter. I like that Lehner and Ristolainen, while acknowledging Buffalo’s problems, recognize they were part of the problem.

Reactions: Joey Banana

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Theres like 100 surgeons who say fusion should be the only surgery on players who play contact sports. Im not talking about after hockey as I said.
No question - it was the default for many years. The improved procedure is relatively new and will take a while to gain full acceptance. That is how these things work. The older surgeons, who only know fusion, will stick with it to the end of their careers.

There are 100's now (also) though who believe ADR is better, skewing to a younger generation of surgeons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad