NHL.com: Lehner Finalist for Vezina & Masterton

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Lehner Named Finalist For Vezina Trophy

The National Hockey League announced that Robin Lehner is a finalist for the 2019 Vezina Trophy, given annually to the National Hockey League's best goaltender. The winner is selected by the 31 General Managers of the NHL.
Lehner is one of three finalists for the award, alongside Andrei Vasilevskiy of the Tampa Bay Lightning and Ben Bishop of the Dallas Stars. The winner will be announced at the 2019 NHL Awards presented by Bridgestone at the Mandalay Bay Events Center sports and entertainment complex in Las Vegas on June 19, 2019.

Lehner is also named a finalist for the 2019 Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, given annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Holy shit!!! Was not expecting him to be a Vezina finalist!!! f***ing awesome. He won’t win but it’s aweosme for him to be nominated. So happy for him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Only thing that sucks is he’s probably getting more and more leverage in contests negotiations. Selfishly I want him on a team friendly deal but He definitely has earned a decent contract. Still not a large enough sample size for him to make top dollar.

My hunch is 4 years at 5mil or vice Versa. Something in that range.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tied for 17th in wins with 25, 46 games played, second in SV% with .930, third in GAA with 2.13, fourth in shutouts with 6. Ultimately I don't think his win total is good enough to win.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Tied for 17th in wins with 25, 46 games played, second in SV% with .930, third in GAA with 2.13, fourth in shutouts with 6. Ultimately I don't think his win total is good enough to win.
You have to compare it with the other 2 finalists. I don’t have an answer though.

“Bishop led the NHL with a .934 save percentage, was second with a 1.98 goals-against average and third with seven shutouts among goalies with at least 10 games played. He was 27-15-2 in 46 games (45 starts) and set a Stars record with an NHL career-long shutout streak of 233:04 from March 2-19, winning six straight games over that span. He led all NHL goalies with at least 15 games played in save percentage (.938) at even strength.

Vasilevskiy helped the Lightning tie an NHL record for wins in a season (62) and the Presidents' Trophy with 128 points. He won NHL-high 39 games, tied for fourth with Lehner in shutouts (six) and had a 2.40 GAA and .925 save percentage in 53 games. Vasilevskiy went 30-7-3 after his return from a foot injury Dec. 13, including 10 straight wins from Feb. 9-March 5. He could be the first Lightning goalie to win the Vezina after finishing third in the voting last season.”

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
im-really-proud-of-you.gif

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
All 3 guys deserving, obviously we're biased here but the #1 goalie of the Jennings award trophy who was nominated should have a leg up in who wins...

Rob-in. Rob-in, Rob-in....

Reactions: xECK29x and Instant

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Kucherov is probably going to win the Hart and Vasilevskiy is probably going to win the Vezina and both of them were as bad as they could possibly be when it counted the most. Truly awful. I am not, however, advocating that voting should take place after the playoffs or that they should factor in these awards at all, just pointing out the irony of it.

Reactions: Costigan77

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
“– The club helps me on a daily basis and doesn’t judge me. The right help is available for people who doesn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. Look how the fans have reacted - they have helped me on my journey and saved my life, he says.”

A quote from the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet. I guess Robin wants to sign a new contract with the Isles. You guys are important. Take credit!

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I think if he didn't get resigned here, it'd hurt me more personally than any other FA that had left. The way he's embraced being here and been embraced is something special.

Reactions: xECK29x

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Unexpected. And magnificent. Been a long, long time since the Isles franchise has earned so much recognition, and on the assumption Trotz is nommed for the Adams, we’ll get a lot of mentions from the stage in June.

WTG, Robin!

We’ve got a Cup to contend for next week, and that’s far more important right now, but things like this go a long way towards bringing the Isles back in from the extreme margins. Somewhere, there’s an RFA taking mental notes.

Reactions: Quicklime

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You have to compare it with the other 2 finalists. I don’t have an answer though.

“Bishop led the NHL with a .934 save percentage, was second with a 1.98 goals-against average and third with seven shutouts among goalies with at least 10 games played. He was 27-15-2 in 46 games (45 starts) and set a Stars record with an NHL career-long shutout streak of 233:04 from March 2-19, winning six straight games over that span. He led all NHL goalies with at least 15 games played in save percentage (.938) at even strength.

Vasilevskiy helped the Lightning tie an NHL record for wins in a season (62) and the Presidents' Trophy with 128 points. He won NHL-high 39 games, tied for fourth with Lehner in shutouts (six) and had a 2.40 GAA and .925 save percentage in 53 games. Vasilevskiy went 30-7-3 after his return from a foot injury Dec. 13, including 10 straight wins from Feb. 9-March 5. He could be the first Lightning goalie to win the Vezina after finishing third in the voting last season.”

Yeah, I think Bishop is the best statistically but the amount of wins Vasilevskiy got is kind of nuts.

Reactions: Costigan77

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Back in early October I was on a flight from California back to the east coast and I was wearing an Islanders hat. As the flight attendant went by, she noticed it and asked if I was an Islanders fan and I said yes. She said cool, my brother just started playing for them. I about jumped out of my seat asking who. She said Robin Lehner. We talked briefly and I told her how amazing his story was and I was hoping for the best for him this season. She explained that for the past few years they have followed him wherever his career takes him and they were really excited to be in New York.

A small nothing story, but what's amazing to me is that neither of us could have ever predicted things to unfold the way they did over the course of this season. So happy for this man and his family. I can't even imagine how this must feel for them after seeing him at the lowest of lows just a year ago. His story and the things he is doing are so much bigger than the game. No one more deserving of the success he's had and I hope we get to see him do great things on this team for years to come.

#LehnerForVezina

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Holy ****!!! Was not expecting him to be a Vezina finalist!!! ****ing awesome. He won’t win but it’s aweosme for him to be nominated. So happy for him.
His numbers are almost identical to Bishop.
I expect Bishop to win over Vasilevskiy though.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Regardless if he wins or not, I’m so happy he’s a finalist. What a remarkable year he has had. Seriously, he’s such a great story.

It's hard to remember a new player who completely gets the Isles fan base and a new player that Isles fans have so universally embraced as Lehner. Seriously, he totally gets us and we love him for it.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
It's hard to remember a new player who completely gets the Isles fan base and a new player that Isles fans have so universally embraced as Lehner. Seriously, he totally gets us and we love him for it.
What has endeared him to me is his honesty and his level headedness. I was concerned about the latter; I remember times when he as with Buffalo when he would blow his stack during a game. No more.

As I've said elsewhere, Robin is an inspiration whether or not you are a hockey fan.

I congratulate him on the honors for which he has been recognized.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Its a weird year where the best goalies simply didn't start all that many games. So, do you go for a goalie in the 45-55 games played with stellar stats or go with the goalie that has 60 starts, a lot of wins and pedestrian GAA and SV%?

I guess there's an argument for each.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
I think Bishop wins the Vezina, and I can't get angry at that at all, but he definitely deserves the Masterton.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Only thing that sucks is he’s probably getting more and more leverage in contests negotiations. Selfishly I want him on a team friendly deal but He definitely has earned a decent contract. Still not a large enough sample size for him to make top dollar.

My hunch is 4 years at 5mil or vice Versa. Something in that range.

My guess is 4 years at 13-15. He deserves a raise

He acknowledged no other team wanted him. You can tell me how wrong I am, but for someone who has dealt with addiction....comfortable living (also enabling you wife and kids to have a nice quality of life) is much more important than cashing in and setting the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad