Confirmed with Link: Lehner(72% retained), & Martins Dzierkals for 2nd, Subban, 5th, & Slava Demin

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
During the Pens back to back, they spent 6.4 million on their goalie tandem. Most of me can’t see the Knights spending 11 or 12 million on goalies for the next 2 seasons. I believe Lehner believes that he is a starter. Let’s say at least 50 games. Are the Knights going to keep paying Fleury 7 million to play 30 games?
I don’t think this move was made to give Fleury rest. This feels like an insurance plan just in case Fleury has a playoff meltdown and also because Foley really wants that cup.
While looking up numbers, I see the Blackhawks were foolishly paying 11 million for goalies this season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
During the Pens back to back, they spent 6.4 million on their goalie tandem. Most of me can’t see the Knights spending 11 or 12 million on goalies for the next 2 seasons. I believe Lehner believes that he is a starter. Let’s say at least 50 games. Are the Knights going to keep paying Fleury 7 million to play 30 games?
I don’t think this move was made to give Fleury rest. This feels like an insurance plan just in case Fleury has a playoff meltdown and also because Foley really wants that cup.
While looking up numbers, I see the Blackhawks were foolishly paying 10.775 for Seabrook and Shaw this season.

Fixed it for you.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
With the Nick's loss today, Vegas is now indisputably in 1st place in the Pacific. Even if VAN were given 4 points for their two games in hand, VGK is ahead by regulation wins.
Only if both of their wins come in OT/SO. They are 1 RW behind so if both are in regulation then Van would be ahead in regulation wins.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
While looking up numbers, I see the Blackhawks were foolishly paying 11 million for goalies this season.

I wouldn’t look at it as paying Fleury to play 30 games. It’s also paying to make sure a weak backup isn’t playing 30 games . And Fleury would play more games if Lehner gets injured which is a much better scenario than a weak backup or two playing those games instead.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
No wonder no players are open about undiagnosed mental illness in the NHL. Every GM treats him like a bag of locusts so far, since he was open with his treatment. Every GM expects him to thankful for pennies, despite him being really solid in net.

He has alot of hockey left in him. I hope Vegas decide to give him his contract and show they believe in him, so he can focus 100% on performing well.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
No wonder no players are open about undiagnosed mental illness in the NHL. Every GM treats him like a bag of locusts so far, since he was open with his treatment. Every GM expects him to thankful for pennies, despite him being really solid in net.

He has alot of hockey left in him. I hope Vegas decide to give him his contract and show they believe in him, so he can focus 100% on performing well.

I think Vegas would probably want to re-sign him if he wants to stay. I think possibly trading Stastny would be the only thing needed, and there would be teams interested in a 2C in a bargain trade.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
He is a rental. This guy is a 1A and will be paid as such next year by someone else. Clearing space to fit two expensive backstops will make the play in front of them weaker. VGK are committed to MAF (he is defacto Captain) two more years, so the primary concern should be having a capable backup next year. The model of trading picks/assets for insurance rentals can only last for so long before your development program is depleted. Ride Lehner while you can, then move on.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He is a rental. This guy is a 1A and will be paid as such next year by someone else. Clearing space to fit two expensive backstops will make the play in front of them weaker. VGK are committed to MAF (he is defacto Captain) two more years, so the primary concern should be having a capable backup next year. The model of trading picks/assets for insurance rentals can only last for so long before your development program is depleted. Ride Lehner while you can, then move on.
It's more that Flower is getting old, and we have nobody in the pipeline that could be ready for a starter job when he's no longer able to be a starter.

Reactions: derriko

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I could easily see Fleury not be a top 25 goalie the last season of his contract. So this could be considered a season too early but I think we would be better with that than not having the continuity.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

Having a capable backup was a primary concern last summer too though and the answer the team came up with was resigning Subban.

We really need Fleury to play fewer games next season. Otherwise we won’t have any good goalies at all if he gets worn out or injured.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Let’s just face the fact that we are going to lose the younger option who covers so much more net. We will most likely have a better backup than Subban so there’s that.

If only the expansion draft was coming up, we were not exempt, and we could get Seattle to take Fleury. That would be great for both organizations.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Fleury is at the age were goalies tend to significantly decline in play.

I would only re-sign him if he is willing to take a pay cut on his next contract.

I meant if they could get him to Seattle. I think he plays his contract with us, even if we re-sign Lehner. He would probably retire after that, unless he was somehow okay being a backup making a few million.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
This guy is huge, athletic, positionally strong, competitive and has become stronger through facing his demons head on. I don't understand why you shouldn't sign him to a long term deal. He's one of the smartest guys I've heard in interviews, he's honest, he doesn't hold back, he says exactly what he thinks.

He could easily be the franchise goalie for Vegas. He didn't get 3rd in Vezina votes for the Isles from nothing, while Isles fans still love him and Chicago fans quickly grew to like him.

Vegas signing this guy to a 3-5 year deal would be huge for the franchise. I'm not kidding. He's a Jakob Markström kind of guy and he has carried the Canucks this season.

Reactions: derriko

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So it is looking like the Knights gave up a 2nd, Subban, 5th and Slava Demin for just 3 games of Lehner.

f***ing Coronavirus.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Re-sign Lehner, then trade Fleury back to Pittsburgh.

Just kidding about the trading Fleury back to Pittsurgh part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad