Legion of doom vs the Mcdrais?

Which line is better?

• Total voters

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Any era, any time, any place.... head to head-who comes out on top? Mcdavid and Drai are pretty much in their prime right now and whoever else they play on their wing when they load up on offense, who’s the more dominant line? Who do you think would win in a playoff series head to head?

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
The legion of doom was something to see, wow was it a dominating line thats for sure. Mcdavid and drai have more talent but lindros, leclair and renberg where beast on the ice.

My big bro is a huge flyers fan, he bragged about that line and mtl trading leclair, man good memories.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
If we’re playing in today’s nhl then mcdrai, they’d be taking a million penalties and probably wouldn’t be able to keep up

On the flip side if we were playing in the old NHL they’d both be knocked out with an elbow by the second period
I always get a good chuckle out of these posts. How did players like Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, Recchi, Roenick, Selanne, Oates, and Robitaille survive the dreaded 90s, while poor 6ft 3, 210lbs Draisaitl would barely make it through a period?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If we’re playing in today’s nhl then mcdrai, they’d be taking a million penalties and probably wouldn’t be able to keep up

On the flip side if we were playing in the old NHL they’d both be knocked out with an elbow by the second period

What a brutal take. McDrai would be fine in any era, but even if we pretend like guys were getting McSorley’d every game, Drai would hold his own

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
If we say McDavid and Lindros are a wash (McDavid is better but let's say it's a wash), Drai is by far the next best player. Don't really care about the 3rd guy. 2 MVPs > 1 MVP.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Mez

Nov 16, 2017

Ah yes back when players were killed or taken off in stretchers every game by the second period....those were the days...

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
If we say McDavid and Lindros are a wash (McDavid is better but let's say it's a wash), Drai is by far the next best player. Don't really care about the 3rd guy. 2 MVPs > 1 MVP.

Lindros had a higher peak. There was talk of him being the best player of all time. He was never going to be the top scoring guy of all time obviously, but if you combine every aspect of his game, when he was at his peak, many felt he could one day be considered the greatest player of all time. Obviously he couldn't sustain that, but I would think if we're going to talk about which line we want, you have to take the players at their peak. It's not like we're comparing careers.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Draisaitl and Leclair are about the same size.
Yes in old highlights, it looks like Leclair towers over everyone, and ragdolls the puny opposition, but yeah, Leclair and Drai are the same size.

But Draisaitl is a universe better at actual hockey.

McDrai > Leclair/Lindros.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I would take McDavid and Draisaitl on my team over Lindros, LeClair and Renberg, but I think LOD was better as a line 5v5 than McDrai has ever been. McDavid and Draisaitl have great chemistry offensively but give up a lot the other way when together, while the LOD dominated GF% to a greater degree (though they were only really a unit of 3 stars in the lockout shortened '94-95 season and the start of the following year before Renberg was hurt and never the same). McDavid and Draisaitl are better utilized on separate lines at ES and then dominating the PP together imo.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Lindros had a higher peak. There was talk of him being the best player of all time. He was never going to be the top scoring guy of all time obviously, but if you combine every aspect of his game, when he was at his peak, many felt he could one day be considered the greatest player of all time. Obviously he couldn't sustain that, but I would think if we're going to talk about which line we want, you have to take the players at their peak. It's not like we're comparing careers.

No he didn't.

Reactions: North Cole

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
No he didn't.

If you take into account his fighting and hitting, I think he did. Other players on the ice feared him the same way they did Scott Stevens, except Lindros could also score with the best of them.

He was the ultimate weapon

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Lindros took tons of penalties back then anyway, and I'm pretty sure penalty calls were higher in the dead puck era than in recent years. Makes sense since players back then were a little more careless with the "rules" lol

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not so sure about that.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
I'm not so sure about that.

I have no doubt a lot of people disagree with me. Recency bias may come into play for a lot of people too.

I believe his peak is second to only 66 and 99. He was so big, strong, nasty and talented. There was nothing he couldn't do.

McDavid is a special player but 88 had a far more complete game, and at his peak, could score as well as anyone not named Wayne or Mario.

He couldn't sustain it though

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I have no doubt a lot of people disagree with me. Recency bias may come into play for a lot of people too.

I believe his peak is second to only 66 and 99. He was so big, strong, nasty and talented. There was nothing he couldn't do.

McDavid is a special player but 88 had a far more complete game, and at his peak, could score as well as anyone not named Wayne or Mario.

Lindros did not have the 3rd highest peak in NHL history :laugh:

McDavids last two seasons are more impressive than any of Lindros’ peaks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you take into account his fighting and hitting, I think he did. Other players on the ice feared him the same way they did Scott Stevens, except Lindros could also score with the best of them.

He was the ultimate weapon

Why would you?

Would you take Messier over Gretzky if you take into account hitting and fighting?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Lindros being "big and strong" only goes so far and, at the end of the day, the game is about more than big hits, fighting and power cuts along the blueline. Howe, Orr, OV, Crosby, Jagr, Hasek, Beliveau, Hull, Lafleur, etc. all had peaks that exceeded Lindros' peak.

As good as he was, Lindros was one of the guys whose pre-draft hype exceeded his actual on-ice impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad