Sponsor
May 17, 2011
leggiomain-640x427.jpg

leggio2embed.jpg

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think they guy did a really good job. If I had one suggestion, it would have been to make the NY either blue or a the same color from the Stadium series jersey, and the "Islanders" wrapping around the chin orange.

I'm seriously digging that NY logo though.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think they guy did a really good job. If I had one suggestion, it would have been to make the NY either blue or a the same color from the Stadium series jersey, and the "Islanders" wrapping around the chin orange.

I'm seriously digging that NY logo though.

I also would of liked to see something on the forehead but other than that its pretty sweet.Cant wait to see Halaks and Johnsons

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
We will see him. It's practically impossible not to see your third stringer at some point.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Always loved the Chico Resch mask, just another good memory from the 1974-75 team during that playoff run. Gerry Cheevers had his mask with the stitches and for those who remember the Seals, they hade a goalie Gary Simmons. He was called the snake which was painted on his mask. Those were some of the early masks.

A more recent favorite mask is the Sean Burke with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and Jimi Hendrix.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Always loved the Chico Resch mask, just another good memory from the 1974-75 team during that playoff run. Gerry Cheevers had his mask with the stitches and for those who remember the Seals, they hade a goalie Gary Simmons. He was called the snake which was painted on his mask. Those were some of the early masks.

A more recent favorite mask is the Sean Burke with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and Jimi Hendrix.

Rex, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Chico the first goalie ever to have a custom mask(paint job)?

I think that's also a pretty cool part of isles history.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Rex, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Chico the first goalie ever to have a custom mask(paint job)?

I think that's also a pretty cool part of isles history.

Chico probably was, Cheevers just used some kind of magic marker for the stitches, remember Simmons with the the snakes. The paint job was so simple compared to what they do now.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Chico probably was, Cheevers just used some kind of magic marker for the stitches, remember Simmons with the the snakes. The paint job was so simple compared to what they do now.

Its really amazing how far things have come. Goalies were practically bare faced back then.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Its really amazing how far things have come. Goalies were practically bare faced back then.

They really were. Andy Brown of the Red Wings was the last goalie without a mask back in 1974. Remember when Ed Giacomin came up the the Rangers,he didn't wear a mask but eventually put one on. Went to my first NHL game with my mother (a big Montreal fan, we both switched to the Islanders when they came to be) in 1958 at the Forum, no goalie masks, no helmets. Surprised someone like Bobby Hull didn't kill some goalie with that shot of his.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
They really were. Andy Brown of the Red Wings was the last goalie without a mask back in 1974. Remember when Ed Giacomin came up the the Rangers,he didn't wear a mask but eventually put one on. Went to my first NHL game with my mother (a big Montreal fan, we both switched to the Islanders when they came to be) in 1958 at the Forum, no goalie masks, no helmets. Surprised someone like Bobby Hull didn't kill some goalie with that shot of his.

wow. That's an amazing thing to witness the evolution of the game. Good think they had clubs has hockey sticks instead of these new ones that flex and bend and launch the puck at incredible speed.

also, a goalie must have really loved the position back then. You couldn't pay me enough to take shots without a mask.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
shouldnt he be sporting a sound tiger themed mask ?

imo , nothing has come close to the vanbiesbrouck simple chromed out mask he wore during his short tenure as an islander.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
shouldnt he be sporting a sound tiger themed mask ?

imo , nothing has come close to the vanbiesbrouck simple chromed out mask he wore during his short tenure as an islander.

All (or most) AHL goalies sport a mask with the NHL parent club logo on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad