Legendary play by play man Bob Cole has passed RIP.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Classic Oiler calls of his off the top of my head - please add what I'm missing:

- 1984 Stanley Cup win
- 1990 SCF Klima goal
- 1997 Buchburger goal
- 1997 Marchant goal
- 2006 Pisani goal

I'm probably missing many.
He also called the last game at the Coliseum in 2016.

A true legend of the game.

One of my favorites is his calls from the chaotic Game 3 against Anaheim in 2006.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

RIP Bob, you were one of the best. Chills just listening to some of his old game calls.

One thing that I really appreciated about his calls is that he doesnt try to quickly fill dead air with words. He would let his call breathe which IMO really added to the overall excitement of his play calling.
Especially his goal calls.
Knowing when to use less words and maximize the feel of the moment is so important.
He also modulates his voice so well. Its always appropriate to the moment.

Jack Micheals would be very wise to learn from Bob Cole's game calling.
He seems like an amateur in comparison.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
RIP Bob. But you live on with all the memories of your great calls. Never more than the Oilers calls you made classic as you called most of the best minutes this org had.

Which happened to be some of the best moments in history of hockey.

Now this is aside but originally when Cole used to do the Leafs a lot I found him a bit sleepy. But without realizing that it was maybe the do nothing Leafs making him sound like that. Soon as the Oilers got in the NHL you heard the excitement in Cole, in his voice and calls, and he attested the Oilers were his team, his favorite team.

We can all hope "theres a new kid on the block" up there.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
RIP Bob Cole. As beautifully stated above, he was the soundtrack for many of our lives and our passionate love for this game. An eloquent, understated delivery with perfect pitch to augment moments and memories being created before us without the ego to distract from them. A proud Newfoundlander which likely molded his humble approach to this profession. My co-favorite play-by-play caller alongside Dan Kelly.

His passing is another lost chapter to a special era of NHL hockey notably its Canadiana and right sized role and impact. Rest in Peace Bob Cole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad