OT: Legendary NHL voice Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick announces retirement

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
For whatever reason, I read too many posts on here complaining about Doc. To me, he has the most iconic voice in the world and builds excitement in every aspect of the game he announces.

There will be no other Doc. He's a hockey icon to me.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Great career and I’m sure he’s an even better man. But I just hated listening to his shrill screams and looking at his bird like appearance. Happy retirement, though!

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
:laugh:

"Jai-alai'ed", "Lassoed," "Ladled" - I don't remember those...

At the risk of invoking a response of "Have you never played hockey before?" I'm actually struggling to picture exactly what each of those three terms describes....
I didn't make the meme, just reposting it. To anwer your question, maybe "lassoed" is like when Datsyuk strips the puck off a player going the other way.

The OP missed "corraled" among others I'm sure.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
For whatever reason, I read too many posts on here complaining about Doc. To me, he has the most iconic voice in the world and builds excitement in every aspect of the game he announces.

There will be no other Doc. He's a hockey icon to me.

Doc to me growing up as a Canadian was the sound of American television in regards to Hockey... Before it was so easy to get games on a phone, or any device it seemed like any American game had Doc, especially the afternoon games on the weekends. I enjoyed his unique play by play. With Bob Cole, Don Cherry and Doc gone.... I will miss those voices. Please someone get rid of the real issues in broadcasting.. Pierre Mcguire and Mike Millbury.. Cant stand either of them.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I feel like I was just used to his voice since Doc, Bob Cole, Gary Thorne and I think Jim Hughson are the first national broadcast voices I heard as I started watching hockey.

So after the lockout when hockey moved to Versus, it was just a familiar voice. Doc did a good job and I wish him well. But I wouldn't say I'm going to miss his voice/calls.

Though I suppose it could be worse. Like that demon possessed voice guy who calls the Caps games.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
@FabricDetails here's the "Jai-alai'ed"
upload_2020-10-20_0-30-25.png

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009

Yeah I know what all three of those actions are. Just not in the context of a hockey play.

With jai-alai I thought maybe Doc used that as a synonym for rimming the puck around, actually.

Your description of lasso-ed makes sense.

Ladled is, what, a one handed scoop up of the puck for some reason?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Ultimately, I liked Doc. He always leaned on the 'homer' side towards us on national broadcasts and I appreciated that. Especially with Eddie and Pierre being so one-sided against us.

My problem was that he seemingly did EVERY game on NBC. Doc is great, but in small dosages for me. Not everything is worth yelling and screaming over. A lot of times I just wanted to watch a FSD broadcast instead.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think the trouble I have with American broadcast in general is that I know when the play excites me. I don't need an announcer screaming like a mad man that something is happening. I know something is happening because I am watching. And then I am distracted from what is going on by someone screaming at me that something is going on. Doc was horrible at that. Like walking into the kitchen and then hearing insanity out of my TV speakers DRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE HE WAFFLE BOARDED IT TOWARDS THE NET AND IT CAROMED AROUND THE GOALIE NOW ITS KNIFED INTO A LOSE PUCK BATTLE AND .... Run back to the TV only to find out yeah it was a perimeter shot the player took when they realized they were about to lose possession and the goalie turned it away while simultaneously yawning and thinking about what they are going to eat after the game and a run of the mill transition started.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Please bring back Gary Thorne. Best hockey announcer of all time.

Gary Thorne is in my trifecta of the greatest, along with Dave Strader and Jim Hughson. HM to the iconic Bob Cole.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Not here to dump on him or celebrate his going away but count me among those who found his "cute" descriptors and loosely related anecdotes to be nothing but irritating nonsense.

I'll take any of the CBC crews over the NBC crew any and every day of the week.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Ok f*** Sportnet for this list. Two seconds into the number one selection and I X'd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad