OT: Legendary NHL voice Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick announces retirement

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m so sad, I didn’t realize he was retiring. Listening to games won’t be nearly as enjoyable for me now. Thank god we still have Mickey, at lesser.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Awesome voice and very knowledgeable. From everything I've heard, a great person.

I thought that when he just called the game, he did a great job. But he often tried too hard to inject vocabulary into it, and it didn't feel natural.

Best of luck in retirement though.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
His style was personal preference, but what can't be disputed is how well he called a game and matched the excitement of the moment.

It's a subtle thing, but he really did amplify big moments appropriately. Total pro.

Especially a drivvveeeeeee turned away by the waffle board!

DRIIIIVEE!

I feel like it took too long to see replies in this thread referencing "DRIVE!"

His tendency to turn nouns into verbs is second to none. "Flexed," "Knifed," etc.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Took me a few years to appreciate Doc - but man, from like 2010 onward, as Cole slipped a bit, Doc was the best in the game.
I have to admit, he didn't sound like his normal self these playoffs.
Probably didn't help there were no fans screaming to yell over.

Nobody could put a voice to the frenetic pace of playoff hockey like Doc Emrick.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
His style was personal preference, but what can't be disputed is how well he called a game and matched the excitement of the moment.

It's a subtle thing, but he really did amplify big moments appropriately. Total pro.

Especially a drivvveeeeeee turned away by the waffle board!

Exactly that. It always sounded like someone was giving his plums a sudden juggle when there was a riveting moment.

I appreciated how knowledgeable he was of the former collegiate players. I'll miss Doc.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
His style never bothered me. I didn't always love the games he was calling, but it's undeniable that he was the voice of the game for a good while. It'll be weird not hearing him anymore.

I agree that he had a unique way to amp up the excitement of the game. Most PBP guys bring the excitement level down so they can talk calmly and keep pace with the action. Doc never needed to do that. He would yell right along with you.

Reactions: JPE123

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think Doc is an amazing person but I professionally I couldn't watch broadcasts with him. The way American play by play commentators push their voice into an unnaturally low tone and scream when relatively trivial stuff is going on is like pressing my ear to a hot waffle board. Not unhappy Doc's era is coming to an end although I am sure the style will just continue to cater to the lowest common denominator.

In the age of smart TV's and center ice I wish you could pay for an option to get the on ice and crowd noise and turn the commentators complete off. Heck with the size of today's flat screens I would even like an option to just get a full ice camera shot to eliminate the panning camera movement. Being able to sit above the zone in VR would be amazing too. I hope to see some improvements in the way we can consume the game and be like remember when you used to turn on the TV and be like uhg this guy.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-10-19_17-18-19.png

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I get that his announcing was a personal preference, but I always loved the way he called games. Definitely added more to each broadcast. He will be missed on the mic.

Reactions: JPE123

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I enjoyed his unique style and his large arsenal of words he would use. A fan kept track once and he used 153 different words to describe moving the puck. That’s pretty impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->