Leg cramps on the ice?

IslesZoso

Apr 30, 2010
Great Neck, LI
Ever get seized up by painful leg cramps while out on the ice?

This happened to me last night when I snagged a loose puck and immediately collided with an opposing player. I went skate-first into his legs, causing me to pitch forward. The impact somehow jarred my legs and the shock caused BOTH my calf muscles to seize up with painful cramps. I tried to get up but flopped back down on the ice as if I'd been shot, and curled over in pain for before the spasms died down a bit. Guys on the bench thought I had a serious injury.

Anyway, some of the post-game suggestions to me: concentrate on pre-game stretching exercises, eating a banana, taking in more fluids, gatorade...

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Ever get seized up by painful leg cramps while out on the ice?

This happened to me last night when I snagged a loose puck and immediately collided with an opposing player. I went skate-first into his legs, causing me to pitch forward. The impact somehow jarred my legs and the shock caused BOTH my calf muscles to seize up with painful cramps. I tried to get up but flopped back down on the ice as if I'd been shot, and curled over in pain for before the spasms died down a bit. Guys on the bench thought I had a serious injury.

Anyway, some of the post-game suggestions to me: concentrate on pre-game stretching exercises, eating a banana, taking in more fluids, gatorade...

Hum, you might have two problems involved here. Cramps in both calves at the same time, can sometime indicate a spinal disk problem after you have fallen. Now, if you had just one cramp on one calf, then I your muscle "might" need potassium. But...TAKING TO MUCH POTASSIUM CAN KILL YOU!

My recommendation is that you go see a neurologist before the next time you play. Don't mess around with that. The last thing you want is someone wipping you after you go to the bathroom. So, yes, I know you love hockey...but it's better to check it out. Oh, and if your were playing for me, I would not even let you step one toe on the ice until I see a doctors note telling me that you are ok.

Head Coach

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
This has happened to me a few times and it's scary haha.

1st time was after a long high-school practice. I was taking off my skates and gear and I guess I was putting stress on my calves when I was untying skates. One seized up and I had never experienced before, I thought the muscle had actually shifted :P Next thing you know, the other one seizes up right after...

Important thing to note : did not have much water during the practice and hadn't played intense hockey in a few months

2nd time was during summer league when I went down to block a shot. It wasn't the impact of the shot however...I'm still confused as to the cause of this one.

3rd time was a year after, at another high school practise/tryout in the beginning of this season. Had water this time, but a combo of rust and intense workouts triggered another spasm when I tried to take a point shot. Crippled me for the rest of the practise haha

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
I had a pretty severe cramp a few years ago.....as a goaltender!

It locked up on me for a good 5-10 minutes and was still too sore or tender to move comfortably and drop down to make saves on for awhile after that.

The refs gave me a few minutes, but they wouldn't give me enough time to heal fully, so I had to finish the last 5 minutes of the game with my left calf completely locked up, and everybody pretty much knowing it.

Fortunately we had a 3 goal lead which I hoped would be a big enough pad, so I begged my team to give me some help on the backcheck and maybe kill some time when they had puck control.

So being rec league, naturally, the defense starts pinching in the offensive trying to pad their offensive stats! I faced 5 breakaways over the final 3 1/2 minutes (more than I'd faced the rest of the game combined), including a 2-on-0 break.

Somehow, despite not being able to set in a proper stance or do a proper butterfly, I managed enough two pad stacks and random flopping to not give up a single goal for the remainder of the game, despite the sharp pain of every leg movement.

I'm a pretty calm guy normally, but I ripped into my teammates in the locker room afterwards.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
Had that happen twice.
The first time was after not playing for a month in early summer, and the second time was the first time back playing after a week-long bout with the flu.
I don't think I was hydrated enough in both cases.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Gotta side with HC on this in regards to the nerve/back injury. Doesn't sound like a typical hydration issue based on the contact involved. It might be as simple as a tweaked nerve in the back or my be much more serious.

toddmanley

Sep 28, 2010
I'm not an expert on any of the nerve-related symptoms, but I've had the same cramp-like issues when I first started playing about 6 months ago. I do a lot of bike racing (Category 2 for those in the know) and I've had to deal with my own cramping issues as I've progressed. The problems you've experienced are the same ones I've had on the bike when I've either not hydrated well during a race or in some instances, neglected to hydrate well enough pre/post-competition.

Being naive about the strenuous nature of hockey, I dismissed the need to have a water bottle on the bench with me when I played in my first drop-in session. I felt fine during the ~2 hours of ice time, then came home, showered and went to bed. About an hour later I woke up with cramps in both calves. Based on my cycling experience I knew that I'd have to adopt my hydration habits over to hockey. Ever since it's been much better and cramping hasn't been an issue. Good luck and hopefully it's not nerve related.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Drink some raw vinegar (diluted in a glass of water) prior to skating. Should take care of any lack of potassium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad