Speculation: Left Shooting Defensemen of interest to the Jets

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
There's been lots of talk of the Jets need of a 1-2 paring left defensemen going into 2015-2016. Some suggest Byfuglien may switch sides, others that Morrissey will make the team, others that Clitsome will return & be that guy until Josh is ready.

I've yet to see anyone start a thread suggesting players that would be of interest to us. Any speculation out there?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm only interested in picking up a guy that is better than all of Chiarot/Stuart/Clitsome. If he's not better, there's no point. In other words a true top 4 guy that doesn't need a strong RHD to play well.

That list is awful short.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I believe if we are looking for a defenseman, we should be looking for a top pairing guy.

Not to say Enstrom is **** because he's not. But I'd rather be trading a roster player, couple prospects and a 1st rounder to get a guy that will be our best LHD.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm only interested in picking up a guy that is better than all of Chiarot/Stuart/Clitsome. If he's not better, there's no point. In other words a true top 4 guy that doesn't need a strong RHD to play well.

That list is awful short.

Prospects could be included too. There's nothing beyond Morrisey in the system. Some team must be rich in LD prospects. The Oilers top 5 defensive prospects shoot left (Reinhart, Nurse, Simpson, Gernat, Musil) while just traded for Sekera, not to mention Klefborn having an excellent first year.

Not that I'm suggesting we have a crack at Reinhart or Nurse, but they are an example of a team that has the assets we covet.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I believe if we are looking for a defenseman, we should be looking for a top pairing guy.

Not to say Enstrom is **** because he's not. But I'd rather be trading a roster player, couple prospects and a 1st rounder to get a guy that will be our best LHD.

I couldn't agree more. Go after a Oliver Ekman-Larsson. I would even go after Hanifin as I believe he will be a #1 D-man in a few years. We could have Hanifin and Trouba matched up against the other teams' number one lines for the next 8 years. Myers with Enstrom and Buff with Morrissey or include Buff in the trade to bring Ekman-Larsson or Hanifin here. I'd give them Buff and De Leo for Ekman-Larsson, maybe throw in a 2nd rounder in the 2017 draft.

Buff and Enstrom for Faulk, Hanifin, Fleury and a 1st?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
They'd both be staying put I'd imagine. Those guys done come in the market often. You have to wait most of the time until the right guy is available and you have enough really good prospects to give up one.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
We have a lot of guys who are "good enough" in a top four situation given the right partner.
I'm sure either Chiarot or Clitsome is fine if with Buff or Trouba.

Getting a 2nd pair LD to me isn't a weakness large enough where it is necessary, but a weakness large enough to be a target if we're looking at redistributing the team talent level through trading, like let's say Buff.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I couldn't agree more. Go after a Oliver Ekman-Larsson. I would even go after Hanifin as I believe he will be a #1 D-man in a few years. We could have Hanifin and Trouba matched up against the other teams' number one lines for the next 8 years. Myers with Enstrom and Buff with Morrissey or include Buff in the trade to bring Ekman-Larsson or Hanifin here. I'd give them Buff and De Leo for Ekman-Larsson, maybe throw in a 2nd rounder in the 2017 draft.

Buff and Enstrom for Faulk, Hanifin, Fleury and a 1st?

None of those targets or trade valuations are realistic. Both Carolina and Arizona are rebuilding with youth and won't be trading for Buffs or Enstroms.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'd settle for a good 2nd pair guy. I would prefer at least the potential to be a 1st pair but it would depend on the price.

I like the thinking though and I would be willing to pay big for the right player. We are past needing quantity. It is time we give up quantity for quality. It is a question of who would be willing to surrender that player.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Suggestions so far:
Ehrhoff (wants to sign with a contender, not the youngest)
Ekman-Larsson (unrealistic)
Faulk (unrealistic)

Some posters said before that acquiring a LD is priority #1. Certainly y'all have some targets in mind? :)

I still think our 2LD "issue" is overblown. If we can't find at least two realistic targets fitting our needs, I'll take it as a confirmation.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We have a lot of guys who are "good enough" in a top four situation given the right partner.

Getting a 2nd pair LD to me isn't a weakness large enough where it is necessary, but a weakness large enough to be a target if we're looking at redistributing the team talent level through trading, like let's say Buff.

This is a good way to put it.

Buff and Harkins for Ekman-Larsson?

Any inquiry for OEL would be met with who do you plan to add to Trouba?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea if we are trading Buff I would like to get back a top 4 LHD asset. I don't even have trouble if Buff is the best asset in the trade as long as we get a 26-27 at the oldest clear cut top 4 D that fits in the cap plan. I would really miss Buff but if he wants a 6 x $7 million type deal then I see TNSE moving on.

Now in saying that I get this isn't NHL13 so Chevy will be well aware of the best offer on the table. Either way we are 11 months at the longest away from knowing how this turns out.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Suggestions so far:
Faulk (unrealistic)

Some posters said before that acquiring a LD is priority #1. Certainly y'all have some targets in mind? :)

I still think our 2LD "issue" is overblown. If we can't find at least two realistic targets fitting our needs, I'll take it as a confirmation.

I guess I would debate that just because we can't find targets doesn't mean its not an issue. Now i guess if a few of the following happen.....Clitsome stays healthy, Toby stays healthy, Chiarot improves, or Morrissey makes a big jump then maybe I am over reacting.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I guess I would debate that just because we can't find targets doesn't mean its not an issue. Now i guess if a few of the following happen.....Clitsome stays healthy, Toby stays healthy, Chiarot improves, or Morrissey makes a big jump then maybe I am over reacting.

It's a different issue than Edmonton's "we need to find three top-pairing DMen to get out of the basement", or Minnesota's "we need to find a goalie who can get >0.905 to contend for a playoff spot" last season, though.

It's just fans saying "our LD depth looks weak on paper". Some even arguing "we need to get Stuart away from the second pairing", when Stuart is roughly our 8th best defenseman (not counting magic bean Morrissey), so the coach is to blame for that. And some have declared it the #1 priority. But if we can't even find realistic targets, we shouldn't blame Chevy for not doing anything. Especially if our ideas are only at the level of "acquiring Ekman-Larsson or Fowler would be real gud".

By the way: The pre-deadline second pairings of last year's playoff teams were:

ANA Cam Fowler - Ben Lovejoy
CGY Kris Russell - Dennis Wideman
CHI Johnny Oduya - Niklas Hjalmarsson
DET Danny DeKeyser - Kyle Quincey
MIN Marco Scandella - Jared Spurgeon
MTL Alexei Emelin - Sergei Gonchar/Tom Gilbert
NSH Mattias Ekholm - Ryan Ellis
NYI (1A/1B) Nick Leddy - Johnny Boychuk, Calvin De Haan - Travis Hamonic
NYR Marc Staal - Dan Boyle / Kevin Klein
OTT Jared Cowen / Patrick Wiercioch - Cody Ceci
PIT ???? (too many injuries to tell)
STL Carl Gunnarsson - Jay Bouwmeester / Kevin Shattenkirk
TBL Matt Carle / Jason Garrison - Andrej Sustr
VAN Dan Hamhuis - Yannick Weber / Luca Sbisa / Kevin Bieksa
WSH (1A/1B) Brooks Orpik - John Carlson, Karl Alzner - Matt Niskanen

Now, let's assume that Byfuglien is traded for a package which doesn't include a NHL defenseman - the 'worst case' for our LD situation. In that case, next season's second pairing would be Chiarot-Trouba, or Clitsome-Trouba (not Stuart-Trouba, let's not account for coaching mistakes). Question: How many of the pairings above would you take over that (just considering next season)?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Agree with both. If we're moving Buff and getting a LHD back, personally I'd rather add and get a potential number 1 or 2 quality younger LHD. We have plenty of #4-6 quality lefties. And we're hoping Morrissey becomes at least a #3 at some point, and hopefully higher. Targeting another potential #1 or #2 LHD can open things up with Enstrom in the future, and help offset some risk if Morrissey doesn't reach his full potential. Thinking of guys like Theodore and Pouliot, etc.

None of those targets or trade valuations are realistic. Both Carolina and Arizona are rebuilding with youth and won't be trading for Buffs or Enstroms.

Not realistic is the most polite way to put it. lol. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Suggestions so far:
Faulk (unrealistic)

Finding target players is easy. Making the deals is not.
Cam Fowler -- Calvin de Haan
I agree the issue is overblown, in fact I think it is way overblown. But if we are planning on dealing somebody that would be a good place to look for a return to land.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's a different issue than Edmonton's "we need to find three top-pairing DMen to get out of the basement", or Minnesota's "we need to find a goalie who can get >0.905 to contend for a playoff spot" last season, though.

It's just fans saying "our LD depth looks weak on paper". Some even arguing "we need to get Stuart away from the second pairing", when Stuart is roughly our 8th best defenseman (not counting magic bean Morrissey), so the coach is to blame for that. And some have declared it the #1 priority. But if we can't even find realistic targets, we shouldn't blame Chevy for not doing anything. Especially if our ideas are only at the level of "acquiring Ekman-Larsson or Fowler would be real gud".

Now, let's assume that Byfuglien is traded for a package which doesn't include a NHL defenseman - the 'worst case' for our LD situation. In that case, next season's second pairing would be Chiarot-Trouba, or Clitsome-Trouba (not Stuart-Trouba, let's not account for coaching mistakes). Question: How many of the pairings above would you take over that (just considering next season)?

quality post.

Without going deep into the injuries of the rosters above there is a difference between comparing healthy opening day roster possibilities with teams that have ground out 82 games and are entering the playoffs. If we keep Buff I see our D core being really good all be it lopsided.

For sure this is not the tire fire of the Oilers missing almost an entire top 4 nor is it as big as The Wild suffering through Winnipeg (2013-14) goaltending. I am just looking at balancing assets via handedness and who knows maybe that will be a non issue. Sounds like other posters may have different priorities that LHD if we were moving Buff.

One of the trades I had proposed before the Ducks made changes (out goes LH Beauchemin and in comes RH Bieksa) was Myers for Fowler if we were extending Buff.

Toby Buff
Fowler Trouba

However, I am starting to think Buff will not be in the long term plans and Buff for Fowler would not work for the Ducks IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree with both. If we're moving Buff and getting a LHD back, personally I'd rather add and get a potential number 1 or 2 quality younger LHD. We have plenty of #4-6 quality lefties. And we're hoping Morrissey becomes at least a #3 at some point, and hopefully higher. Targeting another potential #1 or #2 LHD can open things up with Enstrom in the future, and help offset some risk if Morrissey doesn't reach his full potential. Thinking of guys like Theodore and Pouliot, etc.

Not realistic is the most polite way to put it. lol. :laugh:

Agree with the bolded bits. Go after someone young so that cost is controlled for a while at least. Go after someone who at least has the potential to replace Enstrom in a few years.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Good post, really puts our situation into concrete perspective.

Honestly I'd be fine with just trading stu to upgrade our left d

I know Stuart is a capable third pairing dman. My poi t is that moving him eliminates our coaches ability to play him above that, which bizarrely would create an improvement. Ideal situation is we keep him and he never plays up the line up.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good post, really puts our situation into concrete perspective.

Honestly I'd be fine with just trading stu to upgrade our left d

I know Stuart is a capable third pairing dman. My poi t is that moving him eliminates our coaches ability to play him above that, which bizarrely would create an improvement. Ideal situation is we keep him and he never plays up the line up.

Stu just married a Winnipeg girl and now lives here year round. I think the Jets love him for many reasons. I see him more likely to be working for the org in 15 years like Mike Keane than being traded. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad