Left Hand / Right Hand Shot Centers

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
All Inclusive

A little off topic, but do you have this list for defensemen? Elite right-handed defenders seem to be very scarce, for some reason.

Would be glad to include defensemen in the discussion, RHS left wingers, LHS right wingers. Right hand catching goalies - if my memory is good Grant Fuhr may be the only regular right hand catching goalie to win a Stanley Cup.

An appreciation of the various differences will enhance our understanding of the nuances of the game.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Would be glad to include defensemen in the discussion, RHS left wingers, LHS right wingers. Right hand catching goalies - if my memory is good Grant Fuhr may be the only regular right hand catching goalie to win a Stanley Cup.

An appreciation of the various differences will enhance our understanding of the nuances of the game.

I think the goaltending debate is a bit different, as I imagine only left-handed people (roughly 1 in 10) will catch with their right hand. Whereas being left or right handed doesn't necessarily indicate which way a skater will shoot.

I know Barrasso was another lefty to win the cup. And I guess Bill Durnan was both. There might be a couple more from the old days.

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
After doing a quick check on hockey-reference.com, there were 73 right-shooting defensemen in the league this season. And there were 181 left-shooting defensemen. It's actually a lot more uneven than I thought. About 2.5 times more lefties than righties. Still not in line with the left-handed to right-handed ratio of humans though.

As a Leaf fan, it's odd that Kaberle was the only lefty to play any significant amount of time on the blueline this past season. Kubina, White, Finger, Van Ryn, and Stralman all shoot right.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Correct

I think the goaltending debate is a bit different, as only left-handed people (roughly 1 in 10) will catch with their right hand. Whereas being left or right handed doesn't necessarily indicate which way a skater will shoot.

I know Barrasso was another lefty to win the cup. And I guess Bill Durnan was both. There might be a couple more from the old days.

Correct about Tom Barrasso. Durnan could catch with both and the old style equipment made it possible.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Based on PNEP's tables / ratings LHS centers and defensemen scored higher.

Would be interesting to discuss why. Opinions welcome.

Just from personal experience playing lacrosse growing up, I found that the guys on my teams who had the best hands were always right-handed guys shooting left, and myself (a lefty shooting right). Maybe it was just my team, but we were always struggling to fill our left attack position (a right-handed shot) with a talented player. I was discussing this with a buddy a little while back, and we figured that maybe having your dominant hand on back of the stick allows for more control. Especially at a younger age, where you'll have your strong hand doing the heavy maneuvering. Maybe the same applies for hockey with having your strong hand on the top of the stick?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I think the goaltending debate is a bit different, as I imagine only left-handed people (roughly 1 in 10) will catch with their right hand. Whereas being left or right handed doesn't necessarily indicate which way a skater will shoot.

Going by his pictures, Charlie Gardiner would be another one:

000800129.jpg

While not a Cup-winner (as a starter), Tony Esposito also caught with his right.

The discrepancy between the top lefties vs. righties at the other positions is far greater than I would've guessed before reading this thread. Never gave it much thought before.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I'm a lefty and I shoot right. Growing up most of the other RHS I knew were lefties as well. Lefties are a minority in the population so that might be a factor.

I never minded being a RHS playing on the wrong side. In terms of using your body to cut a guy off or bump him off the puck, you dont have to turn yourself as much and you dont need to take that extra half second. Granted I never played at a high level though.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Dominant Side

Just from personal experience playing lacrosse growing up, I found that the guys on my teams who had the best hands were always right-handed guys shooting left, and myself (a lefty shooting right). Maybe it was just my team, but we were always struggling to fill our left attack position (a right-handed shot) with a talented player. I was discussing this with a buddy a little while back, and we figured that maybe having your dominant hand on back of the stick allows for more control. Especially at a younger age, where you'll have your strong hand doing the heavy maneuvering. Maybe the same applies for hockey with having your strong hand on the top of the stick?

Add dominant leg and eye into the mix and we may advance things.

Also consider the advantages / disadvantages of going one on one with a defender or goalie. Stickside to stickside as opposed to stickside to gloveside vs a goalie.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Other Skills

I'm a lefty and I shoot right. Growing up most of the other RHS I knew were lefties as well. Lefties are a minority in the population so that might be a factor.

I never minded being a RHS playing on the wrong side. In terms of using your body to cut a guy off or bump him off the puck, you dont have to turn yourself as much and you dont need to take that extra half second. Granted I never played at a high level though.

How did you do on the various skill evaluations compared to righties?

Example skating. Turning left vs turning right. Doing the cones clockwise vs counter-clockwise etc.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Most of the great Soviet players were lefties and they were all great players who played pretty darn well together.

A great centerman will craft his skills to make both LH and RH shooters better.

doktor2d

Feb 8, 2009

If you're as old as I am and started playing youth hockey in Canada in 1968, you've seen a big transition in this. When I was a kid, you most often shot with your dominant hand low. That meant the majority of right-handed people were right-handed shots and lefties were lefties. Note the word majority. If 10 percent of the population was left-handed, maybe 25-40 percent of hockey players in North America shot left-handed. A majority shot right-handed, but a number of right-handed people shot left-handed.

The tail end of that North American mindset has passed through the game. Steve Yzerman, Chris Chelios ... righties who shoot right-handed.

At the same time (60s and 70s), Europeans were predominantly of the opposite mindset. Right-handed people shot left-handed. Lefties shot right.

The best explanation I've heard came when I spoke with Johan Franzen ... When your dominant hand is low, you shoot harder. When your dominant hand is high, you handle the puck better. That explains the different views of the game between Canada and Europe in the 60s and 70s.

Now, 30-40 years later, the European mindset has clearly won out. It tough to find a right-handed shot who isn't a left-handed person. On the current Red Wings, only Chelios and Kirk Maltby fit that mode. Every other player on the team plays with his dominant hand high -- left-handers shooting right like Rafalski or Samuelsson and right-handers shooting left like Zetterberg or Lidstrom.

I think the ripple down to youth hockey is high, but I cannot speak to that. I imagine the majority of North American kids playing hockey now shoot left, which is the opposite of what it was 30-40 years ago.

This has definitely changed the game. The angles are obviously different. The mindset is different (stickhandling over shot power). The game will soon be played with 90 percent left-handed shots.

Forgive me for not remembering, but there was a Soviet team that came over -- 81 Canada Cup or 84 Canada Cup? -- that was 100 percent left-handed shots. That was still early enough in the transition of righties to left-handed shots in North America, that I remember the shock value when we saw that. We couldn't figure it out. Now, that's the way the game is played.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Most of the great Soviet players were lefties and they were all great players who played pretty darn well together.

A great centerman will craft his skills to make both LH and RH shooters better.

Good point. I don't think there were any right shooting players on the 1972 Summit Series team.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Soviets

I stand corrected. Should have at least remembered Petrov.

Actually the Soviets seemed to have some ideas about LHS having an advantage but they never clearly explained them. Remember watching their teams from the early 1960's on when they came to Montreal and there would be maybe 2 or 3 RHS and if the players were fringers it would be easy to come away with the impression that it was strictly an LHS team.

The great 5 man unit from the 1980's - Larionov/Makarov/Krutov/Fetisov/Kasatonov were all LHS and it definitely gave them favourable shooting angles from the right side of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad